GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Clubs From Around The World > VolkSport Käfer Gruppe

Old August 16th 2005, 02:17

Latest on the vert!

Beth and I have been working for the past 3 weekends on the vert and have made good progress. Since we got it back from paint we have really only been able to get some trim pieces installed and fight those DAMN window seals and weather stripping.

This is the part of the restoration that I was dreading the worst because I am NO GOOD at it! I have done many hard tops in my time but all the crap that a vert has to work with is totally out of control. I now only have one more window to install and then pop on the top frame for alignmant purposes and its off to the interior shop for a full custom interior and a handmade canvas top.

This week I hope to get the remaining window installed and the top frame in place and everything aligned so we can install a ton of the other things and bolt on the fenders and etc and then it'll get a full dose of Line X in the cabin, engine bay and front trunk from our old buddy shagenwagen.

We have decided to go with a full set of digital instruments from www.dakotadigital.com as well as a really sweet satellite radio set up that will free up a ton of dash space for the added instruments.

We are hoping to get the carbon fiber accent pieces and the firewall this week and get on with their installation into the car as well.

It's been a long time since I have restored a car the right way I am normally so tied up with HP that I don't give the rest of the carmuch attention....

Mechanically we have all the front end stuff finished along with the disc brakes and MAXX struts. we were just going to run the drum brakes in the rear until I happened up on a sweet deal for a rear race grade kit that will now find its way onto the back of the car.

I am waiting to build the tranny untiil the engine is finished and dynoed so I can absolutely perfectly gear it for the ultimate gas mileage and perfect shift points.

The goal is to build this entire car in 100 days- we took it apart about 40 days ago so I'd say we are doing just fine considering the amount of detail thats going ito every aspect of it.

For updates on the Super 2 Liter engine- stay tuned.

REMEMBER: This is a GIRL'S CAR! Don't let her end up on your bumper, you might get really embarassed!

For more pics go here http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/Home_Page.htm

Old August 16th 2005, 07:56
Administrator

REMEMBER: This is a GIRL'S CAR! Don't let her end up on your bumper, you might get really embarassed!

A realy Bad A$$ girls car.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old August 16th 2005, 09:28

it looks amazing so far

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old August 16th 2005, 10:20

Jake,

Looks like you powder coated all the window frames.. is that correct.. or just painted..

How hard was it to dismantle and put back the seals once painted..

BTW

Very nice..

Alex
NNJ
Old August 16th 2005, 12:36

This car restoration is driving me nuts!! I am all about getting things done quickly and moving on to the next step. Well, as I am sure all of you know, it doesn't go quite so quickly in the world of car restoration. Seems like for every step forward, we take 2 steps back and both of us have the patience of a bull to start with!

At any rate, it is starting to come together and I am getting really excited about being able to drive it! I'm expecting a fed-ex delivery with lots of rubber seals etc today so that we can start putting the little things back on the car (door handles, trunk handle, lights etc) Maybe seeing all those little touches will make us feel like we've actually accomplished something.

We're gonna hit it hard and heavy again this weekend so we'll give another update next week.
"Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people I had to kill today because they pissed me off!"

Beth Raby
Old August 16th 2005, 12:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOAF
Jake,

Looks like you powder coated all the window frames.. is that correct.. or just painted..

How hard was it to dismantle and put back the seals once painted..
Well... we had someone powder coat them first (not exactly the best workmanship) so we had them stripped back down and Jake sprayed them black. They turned out well; but, we have put several little dings in the paint during the install so we have some touch up work ahead of us.

They were an absolute pain in the a$$ to put back in the frames. But, I think it is beacuse the new rubber seals they make are just too thick. We ended up putting the seals on the glass and grinding off some of the rubber to finally get them back in. PAIN PAIN PAIN in the a$$! (But they do look good)
"Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people I had to kill today because they pissed me off!"

Beth Raby
Old August 16th 2005, 14:24

Yeah- Window frames, That was a bitch!

I have put a lot of time in the frames because thats what really makes a convertible stand out.

Both of us are perfectionist and thats not helping much at all with the process!

Yoo bad it always sucks when a car of mine, or one I'm associated with wins a car show, or even competes because this one would definately be taking some trophies home! Its just not worth all the biching though- especially for a 12 dollar gold plated piece of plastic....
Old August 20th 2005, 22:25

The car looks really good so far. I can't wait to see it when it is done, I will keep my eyes open in the mirror for it!!!!