GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Brakes

Old August 7th 2007, 14:33

944T VS Tarox 6 pods?

I'm in a bit of a luxury position here for my front axle brake setup.

Have got a pair of almost brand new aluminium Tarox 6 pod calipers that fit on the stock discs of my 1200 ( suby powered)

Have also got a pair of Porsche 944 turbo 4 pod calipers + ventilated discs machined to fit on a type 1 spindle.

Which of these 2 options would provide the most braking power (I might ad that the front wheels are 225 wide and that I already have Porsche 944 turbo discs and calipers installed in the rear.

Easiest would be the Tarox since they are already on it now but easy is not alway the way to go
Old August 8th 2007, 18:48

I fear this is a suck it and see situation , i had tarox 6 pots on the front of mine with cb calipers on the back and i felt there was to much front bias , the front locked up easily so there is plenty of braking power , i fitted 996 monoblocks on the front and back and prefer them to the tarox ,i just think there is more feel before lockup and they scrub off speed better , this is probably due to the fact that the 996 brakes are a matched set off a rear engined car so the rears will be working harder than the cb's giving more rear bias .
If you already have the tarox on see how they are ,
hope this helps
jon
zx7rr
Old August 9th 2007, 04:34

I agree with Speedy. The best possible brake bias will give the most stopping power, provided you have a large enough brake to avoid fading.

Another consideration is weight. Brakes are both unsprung and sprung weight...
Old August 9th 2007, 09:43

I've put the 944T front discs and calipers on my stock spindles for now ( the brackets I made up for them do not fit my lowered spindles unfortunately) and put the tarox ones on the dropped spindles.

The Porsche disc gives a differend ofset to the wheels so I'l have to wait until I get a new body and mount the fenders to it to so if the porsche discs in combination with the dropped spindles ( give 6mm extra widt each sides) will be possible.

I have an 18mm type 1 master brake cylinder, will see how that works out and maybe change to a porsche 944 one later.