GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Wheels

Old January 31st 2010, 05:46

What is the optimum width wheel / tyre on a 1302?

Hi, this is my first thread on here so hello to all

This question may seem a little too simplistic but I'm contemplating what route I may go down with wheels and I thought the starting point should be understanding what size would work best before getting into the technicalities (and difficulties!) of making a chosen wheel fit.

So.....with the clearance and fitment issues aside, is it possible to have wheels / tyres which would be too wide on a 1302s bug?

ie, is it possible to get to the point at which fitting wider wheels / tyres is actually detrimental to the handling of the car, and if so what would the optimum width be?
Old January 31st 2010, 21:23

all depends heavily on your suspension & brake setup really, but most seem to run around 7" wide, ive got a choice of a few between 15x7 & 17x8 on mine so will see what works & what doesnt for myself when its up & running
Old February 1st 2010, 04:59

It very much depends on the rest of the spec. There is always a tendance to over tyre any vehicle and very often the choice is little more than based on aesthetics. Some years ago there was a magazine article in the UK comparing the quickness of a 'S' model Ford Fiesta on the 'wide' 185/60x13 and the 'narrow' 155x13. The narrow tyres were significantly quicker on a long twisty section of road - it was a case of too much tyre scrubbing off speed.

The general rules(ish) that I apply is 155 width for standard power, 195 width for 100bhp, 205 for 150bhp and 225 for above that. Of course this is all modified when you are looking at front or rear on a bug and valso the tyre performance. A tyre built for economy will require a wider width that a sticky performance tyre to acheive similar grip levels.

Clive
Old February 3rd 2010, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilC View Post
The general rules(ish) that I apply is 155 width for standard power, 195 width for 100bhp, 205 for 150bhp and 225 for above that. Of course this is all modified when you are looking at front or rear on a bug and valso the tyre performance. A tyre built for economy will require a wider width that a sticky performance tyre to acheive similar grip levels.

Clive
Cool, that makes sense.
Old February 3rd 2010, 18:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilC View Post
It very much depends on the rest of the spec. There is always a tendance to over tyre any vehicle and very often the choice is little more than based on aesthetics. Some years ago there was a magazine article in the UK comparing the quickness of a 'S' model Ford Fiesta on the 'wide' 185/60x13 and the 'narrow' 155x13. The narrow tyres were significantly quicker on a long twisty section of road - it was a case of too much tyre scrubbing off speed.

Clive
Excellent reply!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old February 4th 2010, 09:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkdent View Post
Excellent reply!

Jason
Thank you Jason. Its the politican in me that manages to say a lot but little of real substance and nothing that you are liable for later!
Old February 4th 2010, 17:14

Hi

Great reply as usual Clive, to me its about the look as well, so 7x17s with 215/45s are maybe too much for my daily/sons car, but I like the look.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VW (2).jpg (80.8 KB, 38 views)

Tags
1302, 1302s, beetle, tyre, wheel