GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Brakes

Old January 14th 2010, 23:51

E-Brake cable issue (944 Alum arms)

Looking for a little clarification on which e-brake/parking brake cables to use on my set up.

Car is a 1303, with IRS, and late 944 alum arms (wide).

I was in the middle of rebuilding arms, and putting on my new brake shoes and swan piece, when I realized I either bought/received the wrong beetle parking brake cable, and I am a little unclear.

The alum arms have a small bracket, which the 944 e-brake sleeve fits into. When I looked at the beetle cable sleeve it has no provision for using this bracket, and it does not have the correct eyelet to mate to the swan.

So my question is do you do a hybrid of 944/beetle parts, or do you use beetle or 944 cable and sleeve.

I plan on using the beetle hand brake so what is needed to mate my e-brake handle to the swans?

Is it particular year superbeetle cable?

Any pics appreciated, as this would be most helpful. Will post pics once I straighten this mess out.

VR
ALex
Tele: 973 204-5463
Old January 15th 2010, 01:13

Hi

You can buy swans from Lanner that will hock up to bug cables.

Steve
Old January 15th 2010, 10:26

Steve,

I actually have the swans from Lanner.. So initially I thought I was good.

It seems that my issue lies in the bug e-cable.. I will assume that they are different from year to year? As the ones I have, the end does not mate in the same fashion as the 944 cable.

Additionally, it has no provision for staying put, on the arm like the 944 one.

If this is not clear, I will take pics as it is difficult to explain..

VR
Alex
Old January 15th 2010, 12:03

Alex,
can you post some photos of your setup?
I too have the swans from lanner and am about to finish the final assembly of my arms...
Here are the shots of my brake parts, but you've seen this already. However, some may have not.
944T ebrake guts
Old January 15th 2010, 12:12

Jmd,

When I get home tonight from work I will post,

On a side note, your arms are quite clean, almost look polished, was something special done to them, or did you polish them..

VR
ALex
Old January 15th 2010, 19:39

Alex, this is what the stock beetle cable looks like, connected to the swans from Lanner: Sorry I don't have a better pic.

You probably ordered a wrong pair of cables, but by my knowledge, all beetle parking brake cables are the same, at that end, so it's a bit strange.
Oh, and do you have those 2 little tube-like pieces from Lanner too? Depending on your alu arms, you might need them, to fit the cable into that bracket.
Old January 15th 2010, 23:50

Xellex,

Ok mystery number 1, is solved. This is what I get for doing this at 10pm at night after a long day..

The cable end I have is correct, so thanks for the pic as this cleared things up..

Now for part 2, the little tube like pieces, did not get them.. I thought I did not need them with the alum arms. Can you take a shot of the tubes, as this may clear up my problem.

I have some pics as promised so here goes:

1) Picture of my 87+ arms

2) Swan and beetle end.. Your pic cleared things up..

3) This is the beetle cable and 944 arm, and where I am having an issue as far as how the beetle tube should stay firmly against the bracket

4) The 944 brake cable tube, has this lip that ensure a tight fit and no slippage, and what I feel I am missing for my set up.

It seems like I may need to call or email Lanner? Thoughts?
Alex
Old January 15th 2010, 23:53

Xellex,

Ok mystery number 1, is solved. This is what I get for doing this at 10pm at night after a long day..

The cable end I have is correct, so thanks for the pic as this cleared things up..

Now for part 2, the little tube like pieces, did not get them.. I thought I did not need them with the alum arms. Can you take a shot of the tubes, as this may clear up my problem.

I have some pics as promised so here goes:

1) Picture of my 87+ arms

2) Swan and beetle end.. Your pic cleared things up..

3) This is the beetle cable and 944 arm, and where I am having an issue as far as how the beetle tube should stay firmly against the bracket

4) The 944 brake cable tube, has this lip that ensure a tight fit and no slippage, and what I feel I am missing for my set up.

It seems like I may need to call or email Lanner? Thoughts?
Alex
Old January 16th 2010, 12:03

Well first of all, you should pull the cable through it's sleeve a little more. It seems to me it's too loose.
Second, I didn't quite understand what bracket you're talking about:

If it's nr. 1, then there's no problem, because that only holds the cable in place, not to flap around too much. (or was it for the brake fluid line/hose?? )
If it's nr. 2, then I can understand, the bug cable sleeve will not fit, because it's a bit too thick. That can be solved easily, by filing it down (did I spell that correct? -- using a file :P ) until it's a tight fit. Lanner reccomends that on his website. Don't worry if it will be a little loose, because it's not going to go anywhere. The swans are gonna keep it there tightly, eaven if the parking brake is not in use.
I took one more picture, that I thought might help:

Oh, and one more thing: By the looks of it, you don't need the small adapter tubes from Lanner, as your alu arms are the late model ones.
Old January 17th 2010, 21:41

Xellex,

Thanks a million, you seem to have cleared up my misconfusion..

It is bracket 1) as you noted on the picture, which holds the 944 e-cable in place.

My only concern is that any rubbing that occurs, hopefully it will not scar the outer tubing sleeve. Regarding the loose cable, it was just for show and has not been fitted properly to the swan and the rest of the setup.

Secondly, I will reread, what you discussed about filing down the beetle tube.. it make sense..

Lastly, everyone has been very helpful.

Thank you all for the tips and insight.. as punishment, I when I get a little time I will take some pics and help post a little article.. just give me some time.
VR
Alex
Old January 21st 2010, 21:53

I'm late on the conversation, but I guess it's all figured out. With the alum arms, the vw ebrake cable end goes directly into the aluminum arm. Depending on the tolerances of the end of the cable (different manufacturers) you may have to file it slightly in order to snug it into place. It may also be possible that the end is too loose in the arm, in that case you can build up the diameter with rubber tape or heat shrink. The 944 cable retention tab is no longer used. If you're handy, I'd recommend fabricating something to keep the ebrake cable out of harms way that would bolt to the stock cable retention location. The quick and dirty method would be a zip tie.

The spacer tubes are supplied for use with the steel arm setup (83-85 944).

Cheers,
Lanner
Old January 21st 2010, 23:12

Flat,

Thanks and it reconfirms what the fellow guys were explaining to me..

Keep everyone posted, awaiting on some 951 hard lines for the arms, as I went for 944 NA set up to the 4 pots..
VR
Alex
Old January 22nd 2010, 08:42

Hi Guys,

My solution to the parking brake on the beetle when using 944 alloy trailing arms was to use the beetle cables with 944 collection of end bits at the trailing arm end. The 944 swan neck connector was brazed and crimped onto the beetle cable. The only adjustment I had to do was to make a small sleeve for the outer cable where it enters the tranny tunnel tube to even up adjustment lengths of the cables at the handbrake lever. It all works a treat and I didn't have to buy any special parts!

Clive
Old January 24th 2010, 23:41

Evil,

Thanks for the heads up.. makes sense.

Now waiting on some hardlines, as my arms were for NA calipers, and now I have 4 pots.. (if anyone needs hard lines for NA 87+ Alum arms let me know)

Got a little carried away.. found some polish, and saw the mothers mini power ball.. so with the cold weather and awaiting parts.. figured it could not hurt.. plus it was nice "me time" via some car therapy and was relatively free.. Enjoy
VR
ALex

Pic 1

Pic 2
Old January 25th 2010, 08:09

Alex,

Very pretty, and now you have created an excuse for not driving it "I have to spend all my time (and money) on polishing"