GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old February 6th 2005, 07:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by vujade
there is one setup for replacing the torsion bars on a standard
with a freemoving bar and coil overs in replacement of the stock
shocks... Alex was going to use this kit on his Split...

Weren't there some failures of the parts where normally the shocks go and then these coil-over suspensions are mounted?

@ Joe: good choise on the '75 03
Just took mine out for a first test drive and with the now installed Topline sway bar and their urethane front suspension bushings (the lot) and boy does it handle. It doesn't feel scary anymore to drive 180 km/h (which is a scary thought also actually)

Regards,
Walter
Old February 6th 2005, 09:20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen
i would love to see some scientific study. problem is, i don't know anyone with stock VWs and then willing to do like upgrades is nearly impossible. if there are any ideas how to pull this off and people willing to help, i would love to see it happen.

No_H2O and i may be able to do some comparisons since we will have a weekend coming up of Dyno Day and drag racing (yea, i know but it is resto guys hosting the event and for some reason we just haven't been able to sway them to a coned road course but we may just set one up in the parking lot anyway ), but it is far from scientific. he has a '72 1302, me a '73 standard. he a 2276 T1 with about 135-140HP at the crank as i recall, me 2316 TIV with 176HP (Dyno Day will tell us the impact at the wheels). he 16's with Ghia brakes, me 17's with 951's so i have to turn a bunch more wheel and brake weight. he MaxxStruts, me stock beam with Koni Reds. he stock rear, me 951 rear with Koni Reds. can't remember his sway bar, mine is a 3/4". not sure if he has a rear, i don't at the moment. i also have a much lower center of gravity as mine is lower, chopped top and i sit on the floor just about. we have not weighed them yet, but i am estimating about 1750lbs for my car due to fiber fenders, lexan, no rear seat, race front seats but add in wheels, stereo, TIV.

my bet his he would easily kill me in the corners and i would kill him on the exits and straights due to the torque advantage. we will see what we can come up with.
That might be fun. Zen you may be right about the corners being my strong point but I think that the 951 brakes on yours and the reduced wieght will meen that you will be able to out brake me on the entrance then the added grip and Massive type 4 will launch out of the corner far better, so lap time average would not be a good test of Std vs Super with our cars head to head. Not that I wouldn't LOVE to do it. I think 2 bone stock cars and use the same driver would be the best test. All the mods that can be done to the rear are the same for both cars. The differance is all in the front, both can be upgraded but the basic platorm of the strut front end is a better starting point.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old February 6th 2005, 12:37

Yeah, we've got to figure out a way to do stock (with modified suspensions) "challenge." I'm feeling like the 1303 is the way to go, but I can't help but want to see a real test. At this point though, if we don't do a test, you'll see me buy a 1303 with rack and pinion.
Old February 7th 2005, 09:58

A super has a lower centre of gravity anyway, so any weight advantage is cancelled out with reguards to cornering.
Old February 7th 2005, 20:47

Man, now I feel really good about my car!
If its the Standard look you like you could get a 1302 and do the same thing.
I like them both 1303 and 1302. I think 1302 is a better stock/GL car and a 1303 is a better all out custom/GL car. IMHO
Old February 7th 2005, 20:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by vujade
a roof spoiler will also help the rear of the car from getting light at
speeds
Are you talking about the small one that goes over the rear window?
Old February 7th 2005, 22:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECBug
Are you talking about the small one that goes over the rear window?
thats the one

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old February 7th 2005, 22:22

like this one...

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old February 8th 2005, 00:20

I hate to be the technical guy again...but it would cool to get some real aero numbers on all the available spoilers. We'd just need to rent a wind tunnel, and have an assortment of spoilers (front ones too) anad find out just how much better they are from stock and from each other. Wow...I'm getting excited already. Well, there's something to ponder at least.
Old February 8th 2005, 07:15
Administrator

Just get in touch with Lockheed here in town. See if they can fit it in after all the NASSCAR boys.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old February 8th 2005, 13:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO_H2O
Just get in touch with Lockheed here in town. See if they can fit it in after all the NASSCAR boys.
Yeah.
Old February 12th 2005, 10:34

Im not really sure which would beat either, but you know that with a good driver, a car can do some amazing things. I drive a super, and i do love the way it corners, however i have also driven a standard and also love the way it handled. Of course i loved mine better, its mine and its on coilovers, but i think that a standard with coilovers would be a very nice mountain road machine.
Old February 12th 2005, 14:26

Standards can handle pretty good. I just got a puma adjustable beam, and I seam welded the shock towers. Urethane shock bushings and kyb gr2's work good up front. I have a 17mm sway away irs sway bar in the rear, and a 17mm baR in the front. The beam is good as long as you keep it greased!
Old February 19th 2005, 14:44
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfaulkner
but with a curved windshield (aero advantage?),
I don't have the numbers handy, but IIRC, the drag cd was only slightly better. Yes, the curved windshield is more aerodynamic but the bigger area of the front hood makes up in drag.
Old February 24th 2005, 14:22

ill keep you posted about our Aircooled Cup exploits as we are running a mixture of cars, standard right back to 55 and supers too. while we cant change the shape of out cars by adding large rear wings we will be fitting flat trays under the entire length and width of my oval, this was suggested by a friend who is currently employed by renault F1 team as an aerodynamic engineer. also whlie speaking to the guys that run the Uniroyal Fun Cup cars they said that the large rear wing make a big difference in cornering speeds, sometimes as much as 3 seconds on a large circuit like spa.