GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old March 20th 2005, 18:49

I measured my Brembos..

Hello, it's been almost 3 years since I fitted replica Cup2's and 951 calipers to my '79 Kab.

This weekend I took my car to where I work as an MOT tester. I'm very furtunate to have unlimited access to an AREX computer test lane. It uses strain guage technology to accurately interpret the reactive force of each roadwheels brake. The pass mark for the UK MOT test is a minimum service brake efficiency of 50%, with a maximum front imbalance of 25%. In the 2 years I've been using this machine I've never seen an efficiency higher than 98%. This is because the reactive force of the brakes has a vertical component, gravity. If 100% of the cars mass was accelerating laterally, the road would see no reaction, and the car would be skidding off the plates into the wall. The plates are expanded steel, traction is very high. Only big, expensive, ABS equiped luxury cars ever score an efficiency this high, mostly around the 85% mark. until now...

My setup is:

Front= 951 disc/Brembo (40/36mm) 215/40ZR17
Rear= 951 disc/Brembo (30/28mm) 225/45ZR17
Same Pagid Fastroad pads frontand rear. Stock 3/4" m/c.

This is a quick entry and a dead stop:

From the Arex, 69%^-1 = 1.45

This is light roll to a dead stop:

66% inverted gives a ratio of 1.51

The puny (compared to T1) handbrake gave a surprising efficiency of 26%. The MOT test requires 16% for a pass. This is the road reacting to 26% of the cars mass of 1068kg through little shoes in the rear rotor. A stock T1 after a brake overhaul will pull 40% which is a HUGE efficiency by any standard.

I thought you'd like to see this.

Matt