GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old January 12th 2003, 16:28

Red face 39g lifter fitting to T4

I have machined the lifter bore's down 7mm for the cam clearance but what should the interfearance fit between the bush and the lifter bore be?
How many thou should it be and do you freeze the bushings and heat the case? then tap them in (I bought the fitting tool)?:
Press them in ?

thanks Marco Mansi
Old January 14th 2003, 03:39

They are a bitch to install, I made a tool for doing it by using a 10mm head stud from a TI engine.

From now on I'm using my TI or ceramic lightweight lifters, don't ask why, I won't tell.......I just have my weird little quirks and some parts I don't like..

FYI the ceramic lifters are a days work to install and cost me 400 bucks, 39 gram are about 3 hours,and cost almost half that does that tell you something??
Old January 21st 2003, 14:08

You can freeze them and pull them into place with a a bolt and a couple well placed washers. Lining up the oil holes is the tricky part. I had posted a few photos on the stf last summer when i installed them but they may be gone now after the space saving measures were put in place. If i had it to do over again i would consider a cheaper type one install or the ceramics as well. We will see how these hold up.
Old January 24th 2003, 05:29
VW consumer products reseller and researcher

Hi Marco, nice to meet you here! Installing them is not as problematic as described, cooling the bushings down, pressing them in position is not a hard work. The case has to be in a good position under the press tool, that's all. The bushings can be secured with a 3mm inbus screw, mounted between the bushing and the case. The bore has to be clearanced, untill you have a distance of 2-3mm from lifter top to highest cam lobe position.

Even if some people don't want to hear it. You can run those lifters with a lot of cams, but they'll run only safe, when the complete valve train is intended to work with these lifters. I know of many failures, mostly when customers run spring rates, that are too high and never needed in a light valve train. Maybe that depends on the sentence, more is even better, but in this case, too hard springs, too heavy materials ( e.g. steel pushrods & retainers) make the advantages of these lifters away. As this lifter is consistantly developed, it's a perfect product, without any competitors in this league of performance gain. This is why it's sold for over 7 years here and it won't be stopped through rumours ! If you want lighter parts, ask us, we can deliver you ceramic valves, if you want to.

I think, you're on the safe side with all the parts I delivered to you. Max knows, how to rework the valve train.
Old January 24th 2003, 05:41

If you want to see the newest form of development on these lifters, download the picture.

-bushing has inside and outside grooves, you can press them in like you want, no need to position the bores
-small groove in the lifter itself
-new machining of the lifter cup with press-in fitment and pressed edge
-bushing has an edge to get a better top end
-still VAC-hardened to 56 rockwell (shaft) and 65 rockwell (mushroom side)
-still made billet steele with a high chrome part, hollow, CNC machined with radiuses
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40g lifter new version.jpg (17.0 KB, 49 views)
Old January 24th 2003, 12:17

The new lifters are much nicer than the older ones.....

I have pics of a severe failure of 3 lifters in the same engine, and 2 others in another engine, both had less than 1 hour of run time on them....

The new ones are better for sure, but I think I'll be using my TI converts for a good long while after getting bit by them....

Oliver, thnaks for updating the lifters..
Old January 24th 2003, 12:41

Jake, did you bought a set from John? He neither sent me an old unit back to check out what happened, even if I send him free exchange. There was a series done by the machinist, where the ends, pushrodend side, came loose. This damn guy forgot a processing step. The end of the lifter had to be bend over the pressed in cup. That was missed and we counted the failures. This will never happen again, as they were now produced form one man and one CNC!
Old January 24th 2003, 12:44

Yes, I got mine from John, He took care of them and I shipped the old ones back already......

One of them failed before the engine ever fired, and that was using Remmelle heads with his single springs and even lightened rockers.

The new ones look much better, but I'm still concerned that with high lift cams the oiling of the lifter may suffer as the oil passage is only lined up for a short time.......
Old January 26th 2003, 20:14

Mine were the other set Oliver. They were the same early run that Jake had. John exchanged them as well. I am going to give the new ones another shot. The new improvements should fix a few of the early concerns i had. Im not trying to badmouth anyone, i had a problem it was very dissapointing but it was taken care of as promised.

Thanks
Sean
Old January 27th 2003, 05:59

I would exchange every set, that is send back to me (complete) for free! I managed that with the producer (as there are not many sets)!
Old January 27th 2003, 06:00

Btw, from October 2002 to January the 20th, there were ~660 lifters of the new version sold to customers!
Old February 23rd 2003, 15:39

thanks oliver for the info.

could you please post a picture of the lifters with the rolled ends and a picture of the lifters with the processed mist out?
so i can compare it with the ones that i have got, to make sure they are ok.
thanks oliver....
Old February 23rd 2003, 17:47

Check the engine gallery.
They should be on the last couple of pages......next to your WBX heads.

Alex