GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old December 20th 2002, 13:19

Type 1 oil pump in a type 4 motor

My first post. I'm having a 914 2.0 motor rebuilt. I want to install a type 1 oil pump. I have viewed the video on rebuilding type 4 motors, in which a Gene Berg 26 mm pump type 1 pump is used. Now my questions? Can a larger 30 mm pump be used? I was also interested in using a Gene Berg Pressure relief valve. I want more filtering potential and have a MoCal oil cooler in the front of my car. Now I'm using a mocal sandwich plate with a thermostat built in. Whick I don't think is the best solution. Yes, it gets the system working, could the pressure coming off the pump be a better solution? I run my car in DE and autocrosses in Colorado in the Porsche Club.
What modifications do I have to do to make the Type 1 oil pump work? Is it worth all the changes?
Thanks,
Ron

Last edited by Ron Maxwell; December 20th 2002 at 14:41.
Old December 20th 2002, 17:28

I have a 30mm Schadek (sp?) from Aircooled.net. Not a big deal to fit. I enlarged the suction hole in the case to match the pump, the support sleeve for the drive tang must be shortend a little to clear the cam and the tang itself may need modification to clear the cam (this depends on the cam/gear you have). I use the Berg cast iron cover with relief and outlet. I blended the cover to smooth the oil entry into the outlet. I eliminated the stock filter mount and use a remote filter/thermostat/cooler and plumb the return oil to the soft plug at the original filter mount, this eliminates several sharp turns in the small passages of the stock filter mount. If you use the Berg outlet/relief cover, be sure to plug the pump to case outlet.
I have to give Jake credit for this modification, I saw it on the STF with pictures quite a while ago. Oliver thinks the stock oil system works fine and this mod. is unncessary, I'm sure stock does work well, but if it can be improved-why not?
ken

Last edited by kdanie; December 20th 2002 at 17:41.
Old December 20th 2002, 23:35

kdanie,
Thanks for you reply. Your using everything in your application that I requested in my thread. 30mm gears in the oil pump are OK. Pressure relief valve cover is OK.
All of this came about because I had a Mazda RZ 7 oil cooler in the front of my 914, that DIDN'T open. I would be done with a 20 session of a DE event in Colorado in the summer and the cooler would not open. Some say the cooler would operate at tempeture, or oil pressure. RX7 had great oil pressure, my 1.8 motor had nothing. The problem was solved when I switched to a MoCal. NO more oil cooler problems at all.
The theory of the oil coming from, and to the same location bothered me. The sandwich plate was the outlet and inlet at the same time. The pressure relief valve cover would be the key to keeping the engine from blowing everything up with all that pressure. I definitely did not like the small filter that was used. With the sandwich plate the oil filter was even smaller. Now I can use a Fram HP1, with about twice the filtering size.
I'd like to hear from all who have used this type of setup with the type 1 pump in a type 4. Thanks again for your input
Ron
Old December 20th 2002, 23:47

This mod is standard on all my engines.

You must spot face the cam gear .035 if it is a new gear, or .150 if it is a used gear. Then .095 must be trimmed off the drive area of the pump body and the drive tang must be profiled to meet the TIV cam gear...
Old December 21st 2002, 01:13

Thank you Jake for your reply. This modification is what is needed internally to make the pump work properly. What is your preference for the cover? Do you like the Gene Berg pressure relief valve built in to the cover? Or is a cover with an outlet all that is needed to get full flow filtering?
Thanks
Ron
Old December 21st 2002, 10:44

what is the application and cooling system???it will not work with stock cooling..
Old December 21st 2002, 19:43

Thanks for your reply. The motor is a Stock 914 2.0, with stock cooling. I'm looking for a little more cooling with my external oil cooler. When I'm doing my 20 minute session at DE's. You say it won't work with stock cooling, the pump, the pressure relief cover, What.
Thanks,
Ron
Old December 23rd 2002, 13:01

Ron,
I don't think the Berg relief cover will fit with the stock cooling, I'm not positive though, ask Jake. I have 911 cooling so I've got plenty of room.
ken
Old December 23rd 2002, 13:04

With the stock cooling system the TI pump can be used, but it cannot be full flowed or have any external fittings, the engine mount pads are in the way.......it clears the shroud, but not the mounts.
Old December 23rd 2002, 18:42

Kdanie, and Jake.
Thanks for your comments. It sounds like the only hurdle is the motor mounts. Could the motor mounts me notched a bit to have the fittings come off the pump and over to the remote filter. I know in it's stock configuration with no notching there is NO room.
Is the sandwich plate acceptable as a way out of the engine and back to the engine to service the remote cooler in front? I need the external cooler during the DE's 20 minutes is a long time at altitude and heat. Your comments on both please.
Thanks,
Ron
Old January 9th 2003, 21:32

Here's a link to a page on my web site that been there up quite awhile, should be pretty easy to follow. And yes, the Berg cover fits with the stock cooling. I did have to do a real minor trim but it has slipped my mind what I had to trim! Must really be a bad one, hehehe.

http://home.att.net/~tomnotch/techlinks.html

Old January 11th 2003, 19:16

Tom,
Thanks for taking the time to respond. When I called to order the Gene Berg equipment, their response was "we don't handle any type 4 products". The pump and pressure relief cover were not ordered. I went to the web site you suggested and found a clear explanation on how to make it work.
Thanks
Ron