GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old August 7th 2008, 14:47

Upgrade

I've been driving the beetle daily for a year now and while I love it I wanted to get something with cup holders. Actually I wanted a little more than that but horsepower, comfort and FR drive train were paramount. I've been looking since march at several cars, G35, 350z, S2000, and miatas. I wanted something newer, with a warranty, 3-5 years old and got better mileage than the bug (it gets 12-15mpg). I wasn't considering bmw's because I thought they were way beyond my price range, I was happily proven wrong last week when I bought one. It's a 2004 330Ci, 3.0L, 6-speed manual, and only 39k on the clock.

My impressions after a week of driving are mixed. Don't get me wrong I love the bimmer, but it's not a beetle. At first the traction control was really aggressive but I think it's learning. After the second day of commuting it stopped kicking in and I've been driving a little quicker every day to explore it's limits. It hasn't come on since. I'll probably toss on some better tires in the future since the all seasons that are on it talk to much and don't grip enough. I love having power and accelerating when I floor it, but it almost seems like cheating compared to the bug.

Pros: It's the polar opposite of the bug. It has every option (Nav, heated seats, articulating hid lights, leather interior, power everything), 230hp and 220 torque, and sport suspension package. Where the beetle has no technology this is technology with wheels on it. The handling is very sharp and the steering pretty direct and tight for it's size. Lots of get up and go but still great mileage, 26mpg in general but almost 40 on the highway. Did I mention it a BMW and super compfy?

Cons: Here's where the irony sets in. Despite the pseudo status symbol of the bimmer ("yeah I finally made it" kinda thing) they're kinda standard issue for the bay area and they are as common as civics. In the bug every where you go you are kind of an instant celebrity. It's an old beetle that's been fixed up, everyone can identify with it, and people are always shouting to you, coming over to ask you about it or waving/throwing a peace sign. Countless times I've been parked in or driving through downtown Saratoga and had people walk past super cars (maseratis, lamborghinis, ferarris, porsches, panoz) to come say hi or check out the bug. When I'm in the bimmer, no one cares, which is really disheartening.
Old August 7th 2008, 16:04

Bimmer

Nice Cars! I wish you would have stayed in Idaho!
Old August 7th 2008, 17:11

Humble..

Glad to see another one join the BMW club.. While I can't see your car pics from work, I will say that there are a few OEM things that can be done. Since you mentioned your HP rating to be 230, not sure if its a sport or performance package 330. Sport has 225, vs 235 in the performance..

I have a ZHP, performance package, and I love it. Right out of the box, has looks that set it apart, unique interior and handling that is quite impressive for a stock car.

Would suggest looking into the M-tech body kit, and some of those ZHP goodies.

Here is a pic of mine for reference..
VR
Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZHP side.jpg (79.6 KB, 5 views)
Tele: 973 204-5463
Old August 7th 2008, 17:16

That's why you have 2 cars!!! It's funny, I have the same problem. I like just driving the Bimmers around, and besides the red M3 vert, I don't really get too much attention. But with the bug it's almost annoying. Everytime I get out or in there seems to be someone there looking at it. I'm very proud of what I've done, but sometimes you just want to get in and get out! Gas stations are the worst.

But for just driving around, you'll find the E46 is a great car, and you'll grow to love it more and more. The E36 is still my favorite, fits me like a glove but the new E90, I just can't seem to find that comfort zone....so good choice!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old August 7th 2008, 18:33

From what I've read the sport package was stock in 04 on the 330ci, but it's not the zhp. I already have a few things on the to-do list like an ipod interface for the nav system (got it today) and a short shift kit. I love the m3 bumper skin and would like to swap to one but I'm afraid of that whole ricer mentality.

It's different driving the 330 to work, I find myself pushing it a little more through the mountains every day. It's getting great mileage to, 26mpg average for the tank. However it really needs stickier tires but we'll see how it does at the autox in Marina this sunday

I have 4 cars now :P My 03 diesel ram tow rig, my sports bug dedicated race car, my sports bug street car and now the bimmer. Due to my parking arrangements I'll have to sell one and unfortunately it'll have to be the GL sports bug.
Old August 11th 2008, 16:18

Well I took the bimmer autoxing on sunday and loved it. I really need better tires for it but it was really interesting pushing the car to its limits. I had a friend co-driving so the poor tires got no rest. I can't really compare acceleration fairly between the race bug (with the old motor) and the 330 but the braking is remarkably close. When you jump on the binders in the BMW its like hitting a wall, and comes to a halt about as quick as the beetle which is pretty remarkable for a car that weighs twice as much

Here's my fastest run of the day. The course was tight at the beginning but got faster towards the end and it had a few technical sections. Volkdent, I'll have to tag along with you next time theres a BMW trackday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtw5dcdtQEs
Old August 11th 2008, 17:52

[QUOTE=Humble;66781] Volkdent, I'll have to tag along with you next time theres a BMW trackday
QUOTE]

I'd love to have ya along!!! Next one is Nov. at Infineon I think, I'm also doing the Audi club event at Infineon in Oct. Check out the BMWCCAGGC website for the dates and the Audi club as well if you're interested in kicking some quattro butt...

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S