GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Body

Old April 21st 2006, 13:58

Modifying a 911 fan shroud

I purchased a T1 fiberglass 911 fan shroud from FAT performance. The kit was a pretty bad fit and appears to of been pulled from its mold before it had time to completely cure (a section of it had snapped outward). Anyways, I've pretty much have repaired this thing completely (its been a long long ordeal). And, I've got to wondering.....why do these kits require the 911's alternator fan ring to be turned down? I'm half tempted to take a mold off of this thing (since now its been reworked) and redo the shroud it it can fit a non modified fan ring. Has anyone done this?
Old April 21st 2006, 19:10

It depends on the housing for the alternator to get the desk lid to close. BAS require the housing to be machined down, SHARP (AU) use a standard housing and have a lower mount. I'm not sure what FAT do?
Old April 22nd 2006, 03:52

You might have these confused. It seems your talking about a T4 with the 911 conversion. Since using either the sharpbuilt or BAS you would have to machine down the breather tower. T1's don't have that.....I just wondering why the alternator's fan ring is turned down to make this all work. The difference is maybe a 1/4" to at the most a 1/2" between a standard ring and a turned down one. Is there clearance issues with an unmodified ring in relation to the distributor? Or just a lack of fan belts that would fit.

I'm sort of thinking....that I can make a new mold of the T1 fan shroud that would work with an unmodified fan ring....modify the alternator mounting bracket that's included with the FAT kit and use a standard 911 strap and ring.