GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old December 2nd 2005, 01:42

SuperBeetle Disc Brake spindle questions

I picked up a set of 1303 disc brake spindles and was test fitting them for my 944t brake conversion. I noticed that the rear bearing was a VERY tight fit and it would not fit over the shaft of the spindle. Does the Disc brake spindle use a different rear bearing than the drum spindle? The front one fits perfectly....but the rear one won't fit without some serious effort (which I'm not willing to try just yet).

Also, has anyone made a caliper bracket for the disc spindle? I'm thinking that it would be the same as the standard bug's/ghia spindle.....but maybe I'm wrong.

The reasoning behind using the super's disc spindle is to use the stock backing plate (with some mods for the caliper). I was also thinking that all I would need to do is fab a caliper bracket that takes advantage of 1 hole of the original VW caliper mounting holes (in a sense it'll be a spacer) and counter-sink it to use the other hole and not interfer with the caliper. If someone has pics of this that would be great.
Old December 12th 2005, 02:41

Eurolook71: These are disc brake spindles that came from overseas from a german 1303. They have the provision to fit a caliper to them. The problem I'm facing is that the rear bearing will not fit over the shaft easily. It stops and without some serious force it will not fit over the shaft. I was wondering if the disc brake superbeetle spindles used a different bearing than say and ghia or the drum brake super spindles.