GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Electrical

Old August 8th 2006, 01:01

Input and suggestions on my proto 1302/911 dash

As I mentioned in a previous post I'm in the process of making a fiberglass 911 dash that fits in a 1302. While I've had quite a lot of setbacks....with the most recent the realization that I was still going to have to carve up a perfect dash board to make this work. I'm about a few weeks away to making the 1st mold....but I still have more work ahead with figuring out a glovebox. Anyways, here are some pics of the current dash. It isn't finished yet and may be a little hard to see in the pics. But, I'm looking for input as well as maybe some ideas I haven't thought of. So, your ideas as well as your opinions (bad or good) are welcome.

The current pics (if you've seen my previous pics) required me to move the instrument pod up and out to allow the gauges to fit without cutting the original metal dash to fit the gauges. As a result I'm also going to have to lower the steering column about a 1/2" to allow the turnsignal switch to clear the gauges with some room to spare.

Here are the pics:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/alb...?pic_id=294940
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/alb...?pic_id=294938
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/alb...?pic_id=294936
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/alb...?pic_id=294934
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/alb...?pic_id=294935
Old August 8th 2006, 13:16

What sort of suggestions are you looking for?

You seem to be already focused on a 911 dash. Are you looking to tweak it, add to it, or customize it in some way?

The only way I would tweak it or customize it would be LED's if that is affordable. A few extra 2-1/16" gauges might be nice since you are wqorking with a clean slate.
Old August 8th 2006, 14:24

I'm looking for all input (good or bad...its all welcome....I can't be my own critic thru this whole thing). Since I've been looking at this thing for so long I've sort of become short-sighted. So, my ideas of proper proportion may not exactly be right. Or there may be an alternative to how I ended the dash at either door.....or even the center strip (from a 1303's dash) or better still an idea of materials (CF, aluminum and so on). Or a mini center console (been tossing that idea around alittle). Switch type/location, radio, glove box ideas are VERY welcome since that will be the next course once the 1st unit is built. Anything can be changed at this point since its the original idea. Its once I make the mold and start working my way from that point with a more finished unit its a little harder to incorporate changes from my oversight.

So pretty much I'm looking for ideas that maybe I haven't thought of or wouldn't occur to me since I've been focused on this style of dash (and what doesn't go into this one....may go into another pair that are on the back burner). Since once I'm finished my vert I may purchase either another 1302 or a 1303. That car will not have the same dash as this. But I will be making another unit for that one (as well as one for a friend's 1303....which will be using a full set of VDO aftermarket gauges....so that one will be different at the pod section....but may or may not....depending on the ideas I gather have the same main shape as the stock dash). So, any suggestions listed here that won't work with this dash can be used on the next one (sort of brainstorming for the next car....with everyones help....as well as taking notes on what I may have done wrong with the main one here).
Old August 24th 2006, 02:14

Here are some progress pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 298098.jpg (72.4 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg aug23$01.jpg (69.9 KB, 68 views)
Old August 24th 2006, 03:30

nice work can't wait to see it all done, now are you just going to paint it or put fabric on it or pad it?? will look sweet whatever you do nice job keep it up
07 Chevy 3500 Dually
Old August 25th 2006, 21:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chug_A_bug
nice work can't wait to see it all done, now are you just going to paint it or put fabric on it or pad it?? will look sweet whatever you do nice job keep it up
I agree, wheichever way you go it's gonna be awesome! And I can't wait to see it done as well! Nice job!