GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old August 31st 2009, 13:07

Whiteline Swaybars

I have been searching the web trying to find some whiteline swaybars. I am specifically looking for a 24mm rear irs bar for a 72 standard. All the resources I have tapped say that it has been discontinued. The biggest rear bar that aircooled.net is selling at this point is 18mm and it is non adjustable. The bars will be going on my daily driver and but I would like to run some occasional autocross events also. Any idea's?
Old August 31st 2009, 16:17

take at look at the 944 sway bars... they have a 22mm and 30mm

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg3.htm#item8

Chris.
07 Chevy 3500 Dually
Old August 31st 2009, 17:51

Hi

I just went to the Whilteline website http://www.whiteline.com.au and it looks like they don't sell air-cooled Beetle sway bars anymore. I will give them a call and see what the deal is.

Also try http://www.vintageveedub.com.au/

Steve
Old August 31st 2009, 22:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Hi

I just went to the Whilteline website http://www.whiteline.com.au and it looks like they don't sell air-cooled Beetle sway bars anymore. I will give them a call and see what the deal is.

Also try http://www.vintageveedub.com.au/

Steve

Thank you! I would very much appreciate it.
Old August 31st 2009, 22:57

according to richard at V-Force in sydney he can get some K-Mac ones made to order, that may help if you cant get them elsewhere
www.beetleracing.com.au is their new website i believe
Old September 1st 2009, 07:56

The Porsche ones do look like the best option however, two pints raise themselves:
1) Why is a 24mm one required? that will have the tendency to promote significant oversteer without a compensating stiffer bar on the front.
2) If you need to adjust the bar then either fit a blade type bar or alternatively a plain ended bar with aclamp fixing that will allow fine adjustment.

Clive
Old September 1st 2009, 13:07

I fully agree with that. The front will def will be upgraded also. Fortunetly aircooled.net still has the front 20mm blade adjustable bars in stock. The car currently has the tendancy to understeer, and I would rather have it oversteer. How would I go about mounting a 944 bar to my rear suspension? Is there any tutorials out there or pictures? Can anyone take pictures of there own setup? I do realize that the rear suspension is very similar and trailing arms and brakes are reasonably easy to swap. I do not want to do so because I am happy with my setup as is.

P.S. I am very capable in installation of the bars.
Old September 2nd 2009, 08:39

Hi,
Pm me your e-mail address and I will send the photos of our set up with a 14mm rear Porsche bar. On our installation it could do with bigger brackets to space the bar further from the torsion bar tube but it does work in this format. FYI the rose joints are kart 10mm steering joints that were dead cheap at around £5 each. Check out also the rear AR bar on the Japanese Racer on this website.
Old September 3rd 2009, 02:58

Hi

I called Whiteline, another company is handling all their older stuff now http://www.selbys.com.au.

Steve
Old September 3rd 2009, 07:19

Double post.
Old September 3rd 2009, 07:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chug_A_bug View Post
take at look at the 944 sway bars... they have a 22mm and 30mm

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg3.htm#item8

Chris.
The 30mm is for the front Its misplaced there in the catalog, I agree.
They have 19mm and 22mm both as upgraded bars, but the 944 models do not have an engine in the rear...

I have one of those Whiteline sway bars in 24mm (and it even fits with my G50 tranny as it did with the 915), but didn't notice any difference with or without... Problem is my short suspension travel in the rear as it gets soon on the rubber stops, which might explain the lack of any noticeble difference.
Without it, I save 17 lbs of weight
Old September 3rd 2009, 14:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Hi

I called Whiteline, another company is handling all their older stuff now http://www.selbys.com.au.

Steve
I would buy from them, but it would cost me over $200 to ship them to the US
Old September 3rd 2009, 22:42

I got mine from aircooled.net
http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/vie...SS0002&cartid=
Old September 4th 2009, 05:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
The 30mm is for the front Its misplaced there in the catalog, I agree.
They have 19mm and 22mm both as upgraded bars, but the 944 models do not have an engine in the rear...

The 944 may not have the engine in the rear but in standard form has a 30% uprated wheel rate compared with the beetle and a wider track that in combination ought to increase the roll stiffness as well as reduce the roll couple and yet they found it necessary to introduce an anti roll bar.

I take your point about the relatively small rear wheel movement of your Bug and I always consider the installation of an AR bar to be a fine tuning aid once the basics of the suspension has been decided. As a starting point the normal basic principle is to have a car that performs on the understeer side of a neutral balance as being the safest and most controllable state. Having a vehicle that performs like a jet fighter i.e. in a state of imbalance that requires constant driver input needs a skilled hand to even drive it safely. As you increase the roll stiffness with AR bars that nerviousness increases although the limits of adhesion are raised ever higher. Taking a Formula car running monoshock suspension the roll stiffness is very high with a small roll couple. Those cars are virtually uncatchable when the adhesion is lost. the moral here is to take care when adding AR bars and know exactly what you are doing that ought to be backed up with empirical data lest you create a beast that only has one bite that is fatal.
Old December 18th 2010, 23:11

An Aussie company called Fulcrum suspensions has taken over production of the Whiteline / Selby sway bars.. Here's what they told me for those keen to get one...

Fulcrum Suspension are about to launch their new sway bar products to the market – ‘Selby Sway Bars’. Fulcrum purchase this Australian business 3 months ago and is now set up the new state of the art factory to custom make sway bars as of the 9th of August 2010.

VW Beetle Type 1 68-75 1.5L, 1.6L
Rear H/duty sway bar (Adjustable) Part # – SWR1A

Whiteline & Selby use to be affiliated but this is not the case anymore. Fulcrum Suspensions purchased the company earlier this year and has moved the factory to Fulcrum Suspensions head office in Brisbane Australia.
Fulcrum has purchased the Selby production plant and will be focusing on special bars for the low volume market and we look to business with vehicles such as yours.

Sizing of the bar is can vary between 18mm and 27mm as you require.
I suggest for street use with normal suspension 24mm.pricing AUD$340.00