GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old November 9th 2004, 17:25

is this turbo acceptable?

My engine plans are going in the area of a turbo charged 1776 or 1835 T1. I've just started doing some reasearch, so i'm not yet knowlegable to know if this particular turbo is an acceptable size. it's a 1G 14B TD05 apparently off of an eclipse gsx. the eclipse's are 4 cyl engines and i think this turbo could be made to work. it's a pretty killer deal on ebay..........turbo/wastegate w/ intercooler & boost guage. i wont be putting it on the car in the near future but i'm strongly considering getting these parts. What do you think?.........is this turbo acceptable for the vw t1?

Thanks in advance,

Shea
Old November 9th 2004, 21:30

I'm no turbo expert, but here goes...

The first thing to consider is whether or not you want it to fit under the stock decklid. If so, then the size of the turbo is a factor.

Secondly, understand that any turbo will work as long as you have sufficient exhaust pressure to turn the turbine. What you want to consider here is how much boost you want, or need for you engine combo. Then pick a unit that is designed in that range. Then you can regulate it through blow off valves etc...

As far as the Eclipse turbo, I'm not familiar with that particular model, but I have seen alot of guys using them. shoptalkforums' Forced induction forum would be a good spot to search for specific info, as those guys are experts per se.

Finally, a third consideration with specific turbos are the mounting options. If you are looking to fabricate most if not all of the pipework, almost any turbo should be okay. If you are looking to buy a prefab system and bolt on your turbo, you might run into problems.

Again, there are a litany of considerations when it comes to this topic, but if you get a steal on the turbo, grab it. If you decide not to use it, then you can always sell it. I would have it checked out by a competent shop before you drop serious coin. Turbo rebuilds can be expensive.
VKG
Old November 9th 2004, 22:36

thanks much for the info. it's quite a steal so i'm gonna go ahead and bid on it. it will be quite sometime before i use these parts anyway, but a turbo, two top mount intercoolers, & a boost guage currently at 75 bucks. at that price i figure i cant go wrong. guess i can alway get a bigger turbo later if i feel like it.

Thanks,
Shea
Old November 10th 2004, 22:29

Im no turbo expert either, but done some reading on it so,...

As rustbucket said above but from a different kind of view:

1 any engine could be turboed. Thats a fact. but it will work if you have a turbo of the correct size regarding cc's which translates to exhaust gas volume per cycle.

2 another consideration is that big turbo's have much more lag which means that you lose drivability as you get to bigger turbos. There are some turbo kits ready for the t1 engine.

I believe that getting a turbo at the same range as the ones in the kits will be a good idea

Last but not least matter is the mounting: depends on what you want your car to look like and how well you want your car to perform.

fitting a turbo doesnt mean that due to pressurized intake is ok to go with a bulky design. From my point of view and my knowledge a suitable sized turbo setup with the correct ducting would do miracles.there are many things to consider and paying a bit more is better to get the most from your ducting just to name a few: correct diameter tubes with nice curvy bends equal length tubes for the exhasut and intake sides... and many many more aspects each one with a special reason.

Without wanting to be an a$$ and ruin your plans on the ebay thing I wouldnt expect much from these parts. they seem a good but cheap deal and might not work nicely.
Please dont quote me on the last one though. Its my "policy" to save more money and get things like that new just to be sure and save me a lot of headaches.

Chris

1973 1303 going towards GL
Old November 10th 2004, 22:49

Right on the money. You said much of what I was trying to put down earlier. Especially if it's the first time messing around with turbo'd engines, the safest bet is to get a system that is already engineered for the purpose.

My main objection with eBay parts is that they almost always need a rebuild. An imbalanced turbo, or one with bad bearings can spell major mulah($$$$$). You just never know what you'll get.
VKG
Old November 11th 2004, 17:42

Thanks alot guys. I ended up not purchasing that setup. Like you said, I though about it & figured it's cheap for a reason, & I havn't yet done enough reasearch on the turbo subject to make a sound desicion. But i've buried my head in the forced induction forum over at shoptalk and, whew,.........tons of information leading to more tons of more specific information. I'm still getting my head wrapped around it but i think i know what direction i want to go in now. Just need to fine tune the concept in my head. but here's my basic thoughts so far.......

1915cc T1
megasquirt injection
garret t3, maybe a t3/t4 hybrid if i feel like spending extra $$$
water/air intercooler supplied by some radiator/heater core upfront, & i think it would be possible to use water from the same system to supply the turbo given it's watercooled capable...........i think setting up a cooling sys. like this would not only cool the charge (obviously) but prolong the lifespan of the turbo.

What do you think?

Thanks
Shea
Old November 11th 2004, 20:33

Sounds like a heck of a lot of work! Should be a monster when it's done though.

How would you propose to circulate the water in the intercooler? That could be a problem.

Oil flow to the turbo will affect the lifespan of the turbo much more than the temperature of the charge. The intercooler is mostly used to keep the charge cooler. Cooler air=more power. Make sure you plan the lubrication system around the turbo. The intercooler can be an afterthought. A plumbing issue. ( I don't mean to minimize this issue, I just don't think its as important as lubrication).

Have you ever thought about putting in a hi-po T4? Could be built for about the same, if not less money than a turbo 1915. If you're sold on the turbo, why not a subaru conversion. Cheaper, already turbo'd.

I guess it really depends on what you're using for. What are your plans for the car?
VKG
Old November 11th 2004, 21:07

Lot of work.........yeah, i'm bite off more than i can chew kinda guy, hate it during the work, love it when the works done. I guess i should have been a bit more specific on the turbo cooling idea. Most of the turbos have a water cooling inlet in addition to oil lubrication inlet. So here's what i meant. Up front of the car will be the oil cooler (already set up but will be relocated to front), in the same vicinity place a radiator for cooling water. cooled water would be circulated via. pump to the air/water intercooler. I understand the intercooler is just for cooling the charge temp..............but what i was thinking is using water from the same system to go to the water cooling inlet on the turbo instead of just plugging it. From what i gather this will help keep the temp down of the turbo itself, thus preventing coking and prolonging the life of the turbo. the reason i want the oil cooler & radiator up front is to get better airflow. I was wanting to make a custom hood anyway (to not have to open it everytime i get gas), so i could put some ventilation in the hood for the coolers.

However...........the WRX option sounds quite interesting, i havn't reasearched what it would take to do that. Do you know how much a wrx engine would typically cost..............i imagine theres a lot of fabrication work to make it fit? I'm guessing that the set up i've been talking about here would cost close to 5,000 total with turbo, int.clr., injection etc.

thanks,
your suggestions are appreciated
shea
paint, stereo, etc., un-junkified.

95 Saturn SC-2
Wifes car - cant wait to replace it.

03 Yamaha R1 LE, bone stock & still faster than anything i have or probabaly ever will come accross.
Old November 11th 2004, 21:19

well, writing a book here, just trying to give a thorough response.

Use for the car:

I will be driving the car almost daily.........basically when it's too cold to ride the R1, which in new mexico isn't all that often.
But really i want it to be a fairly reliable, powerful, highway crusier.

3-5 hundred mile road trips will be it primary use other than the occasional rubber shredding sunday drive.

So basically, as far as the engines concerend, i want the power to be able to do as i wish at highway speeds (to an extent, i'm used riding the R1 up to mid 160's on occasion.......obviously not gonna happen in vdub).

Sorry for ranting on, but there it is

Thanks
Shea

95 Saturn SC-2

03 Yamaha R1 LE, bone stock & still faster than anything i have or probabaly ever will come accross.
Old November 11th 2004, 22:26

In that case, I'd probably go with the subaru. Especially if you're looking at long drives. Someone may jump up to correct me, but I think the sube's a more powerful engine, more reliable at speed/power, and more than enough hp to push a bug.

For instance, a basically stock subaru is already north of 150bhp. If I'm not mistaken, it's close to 200. Not the WRX, just the turbo'd base model. You'd be real lucky to pull that reliably out of any T1 case. The T4 might handle that better, but you're then in the same price range. Non turbo'd. And there are a plethora of bolt on goodies for the sube. (Can make it even faster!!)

As for the modifications, I think you have to modify the rear apron. Installing the engine is a matter of getting the correct adapter from Kennedy. Guys put sube's in thier busses all the time. One of the guys on this board (from Australia I think) has one in his bug. Look in the gallery for his pic. Also, check the Conversion Perversion forum on STF. Lots of info.

Sorry for the long post. Not trying to sway you one way or the other. But if you're open to other engine possibilities, there are alot of options.
Don
VKG
Old November 12th 2004, 02:18

don't mind long posts, i seem to write books myself. well i've been looking into the subaru option.........looks like the typ. engine would be the ej20t. Sounds great in concept and would be pretty slick...........however I need to try and find some more "specific" information on installing that sucker.........have to admit the thought of it is quite intimidating. Most of what i've found is not quite the same application as mine, or just someones post talking about it to other people who know what they're talking about (unlike myself).
But I think that may be totally worth it...........to have a platform to bolt on some modern goodies.........turbo timers, boost controller,........blah blah.....airconditioning...blah.....20th century ride w/ 21st centry ammenities.

Thank you very much for your input........you've really helped me to look into different options (been reading up on T-IV's too) to make a more educated desicion on where to throw my $$$$.

Thanks,
Shea

My head is going to rupture soon, so i'm going to bed

95 Saturn SC-2