GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old January 5th 2006, 19:51

1.25 rockers on a stock engine...

hi guys...
i want ur advice on a simple issue...
i want to buy a 1.25:1 rockers in my stock 1300cc engine with all stock heads and push-rods, is there any mods i should make, or it is just a plug-and-play part, i will buy the kit from http://www.800luvbugg.com/shop?frame=2.86.3382
thnx for advance guys...
Old January 6th 2006, 17:05

its plug and play 5 to 10 % more power
Old January 8th 2006, 07:24

springs & ports

Hi,

I don't mean to make things complicated but does your 1300 have twin port heads? It may work better if that's the case.

Some new valve springs wouldn't hurt. You can change these with the engine still in the car.

If I were you I'd do a compression test first to check the engine is in good health. Your money may be better spent by lapping in the valves and freshening things up a bit.

Then there's 1600 pistons and barrels, a compression increase.....

I hope that helps.

CYA CT
Old January 9th 2006, 11:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullnoise
Hi,

I don't mean to make things complicated but does your 1300 have twin port heads? It may work better if that's the case.
no it's normal singleport, unfortunetly...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullnoise
If I were you I'd do a compression test first to check the engine is in good health. Your money may be better spent by lapping in the valves and freshening things up a bit.
i don't know how to test the compression, but i've just rebuild it and i think it's a 7.3:1 , but i'm looking for a 1600dualport engines this days and i think it will accept more than a 1300...
i'v been told that the rockers will give a 1300cc single port a gain of 6% in avg, and the dual port will jump to around 12% with fine tuning...
but i'm not so sure of this(still researching this field), any more ideas guys???

Michael
Old January 9th 2006, 13:08

Astromic,

fullnoise is right on the money. While you will see some increase in performance, you're biggest gains will be had from a 1600 cc engine.

Typically, the changes go something like this: New header exhaust lets more air out of the system, dual port heads and ratio rockers let more air into the system, and a 009 distributor to help ignite the fuel. Some fine tuning of your single carb may yield some performance gains as well, once you get the exhaust system in place. Typically, a set of dual Kardons are the ticket for a stock engine.

This is about as far as you can take it without ripping into the engine and enlarging the displacement.

Hope this helps.

Doug