GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old September 7th 2004, 17:23

Wheel Brand/Quality Inquiry

I am considering purchasing these wheels for my bug but am unaware of the quality. The seller, who has a good reputaion, says the brand is Extreme Rims. I have never heard of them and after searching found no info. The style is exactly what I want, price isn't bad, but is this wheel gonna go lopsided when I start driving on it??
Questions, comments. . .warnings? All welcome.
Old September 8th 2004, 09:03

I never heard of the wheels either but that may be a reflection of me rather than the wheels.

The seller has a 99.7% eBay rating which is pretty good. He (or she) has three negatives in the past year. The most recent was about poor packing and quality on a "BBS style" wheel somewhat similar to the one in your link. That buyer has an eBay rating of 232. His lone two negatives were retaliatory in nature including one from this seller. The seller's post with the negative said, "NO COMMENTS." I don't know what that is supposed to mean but it is obvious this buyer wasn't an eBay novice.

The next most recent negative attributed to the seller was retracted five days later by that buyer and poster. (eBay doesn't retract the negative rating, however.)

The other negative in the past twelve months had a response from the seller saying, "NO COMMENTS." This seller has only one other negative which is more than a year old. There is one neutral which said insurance was paid for but issued. That received a "CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP" response which is curious considering that if true, it would have been the seller himself who was cheap.

I have never heard of any wheels being of poor quality as far as out-of-roundness, etc. is concerned. If a wheel is of poor quality, it is usually either the finish which is bad or it is a very heavy wheel. (This applies to non-racing applications.)

I draw two conclusions which are my opinions only. First, the overall rating for the seller would be good enough for me. I would want to know all shipping costs and expectations up front. Second, these wheels (and many others by this seller) are "BBS style" of some sort. Since you are scanning eBay anyway, why not check for a set of the real thing? A clean used set should be around the same price I would guess.
Old September 8th 2004, 18:16

Thank you for the response. These were the ideas and thoughts I was looking for. :agree: