GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

View Poll Results: Which will give you the most long-term bang for your buck!
air-cooled stock 4 16.00%
air-cooled High Output 8 32.00%
water-cooled conversion 13 52.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 5th 2005, 13:10

damn...yeah, I wasn't sure if I was reading it right on the other forums. But aren't you usinf Royal Purple motor oil? If you're promoting wear, why didn't you use another motor oil like Castrol? Or, if you want the best oil, why not use Motul or Redline?

Bah...I'm going on a tangent here....

Sick to see it running so well. But I'm curious on something though. That motor in your car is probably a $25K+ engine if we were to buy it...so I think that statement can be a little misleading right?

Misleading in that, if we were to do the same 9000 miles and no oil change since the dyno, would one of your "off the shelf" motors still run as efficient? I'm assuming yes, but...I duno, something that i just thought I'de ask....
Old August 6th 2005, 02:51

The last cavalier weighed ~2600-2700 lbs. The new cobalt weighs ~2900 lbs. 350 hp at 15 psi of boost in a 2.2 liter engine actually sounds about right. I don't know how long that could last on stock internals though...

There is a cool fellow who has a ~180 hp ecotec engine is his bad *** panel. Im just waiting for him to speak up. If you already have the skills, time, and/or the equipment, the fab work might not be an issue. It would be this type of individual who would probably consider this conversion.

Mr. Raby's -hardly- "off the shelf" motors, such as the 2270 combo Mr. Navarro mentioned, which do probably cost $8-12k, have ~150 hp and will last 150k miles so i'd imagine you could do the 9000 mile trick. Real-world folks however, are probably not trying to promote wear or drive a 3 liter air-cooled engine, a power plant which is truly rare and remarkable.

My mother's 1974 super beetle -which she brought brand new- was later used by my dad to haul reems(sp?) of paper back and forth across washington state. According to him, he never adjusted the valves but changed the oil every 3000 miles. He claims the car had well over 400k miles before the first engine rebuild. It was never the same since then.
The 1776cc type 1 engine with dual carbs in my 1972 super beetle has less than 25k miles and has been rebuilt twice since i've owned it. Once due to carb mount nut falling into the case, the second time(less than a few weeks after the first rebuild) because of the case cracking.

Last edited by TitoRay; August 6th 2005 at 03:07.