GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old May 1st 2011, 15:44

Well I havent posted here in awhile but I have a big project.

Type 4 POWER!

Currently the powertrain is a stock 1600dp with pointless ignition and an svda. Im really looking forward to having some extra power driving the rear wheels, and perhaps a higher geared trasmission for better highway cruising since I have a smaller diameter tire on my car.

I have been searching for a 1.8 liter 914 engine on craigslist for a couple years and last week I finally found what I wanted. A pretty clean longblock and duel solex carburetors. the engine came with everything, all cooling tin was intact.

After the engine was torn down to the longblock

At this point the engine was completely dissasembled.

I did find some funky stuff in the sump plate, seems like it was never cleaned out. What looks to be a rock of some sort, some wood or bark, and some type of plant seed or bug or something. Donno

I only had one concern about the engine while I was tearing it down. The engine didnt come with the flywheel (ok since I wont be able to use it anyway) and when I got it home I realized there was about a 1/4 " of play in the crankshaft, I could literally grab it and move in back and forth in the case. Im sure that this is not good but i didnt notice anything considerably wrong when I opened up the case. Bearing wear and thats about it. Have any ideas what it could have been?

Here are some internal picks including the heads (large valves!), main bearings that I can see, camshaft lobe wear.

Looks like something got loose in this cylinder at some point in the engines life. I believe it was from a previous rebuild as I didnt see any marring or damage in the corresponding piston.

Definetly has some funky camshaft lobe wear as well as what looks to be some indentation in the lifters.

Different wear

And finally some main bearing wear, they look pretty crappy if you ask me.

let me know if you guys can give me any hints as to what kind of life this engine has lived, I plan to build a 2056 with rat cooling so almost all parts will be replaced including crank, rods, p/c, valvetrain. I am planning on getting the heads rebuilt with 46/34 valves, I will be sticking them in the oven soon to check for cracks.
Old May 1st 2011, 18:56

Hi

Looks like a good start.

The marking in the combustion chamber is often caused by an accelerator pump jet falling out of the carby and getting massed up, this is a very common occurrence.

When no flywheel is fitted it is normal for the crankshaft to move like you described.

Steve
Old October 26th 2011, 15:10

November Eurotuner Magazine

Woke up to a text this morning from my buddy saying I had a picture In this months Eurotuner Magazine! Excited to say the least that out of the over 1000 cars at the Leavenworth Cruise they decided to put a picture of my car in the article!

Still working on my type 4 conversion. I have decided to go with either a stock 2 liter displacement or go up to 2056 with 96mm p/c's. I have already sourced a 2 liter crank and rods and still need to purchase valvetrain parts and p/c's. I am on a pretty tight budget so I am not going to crazy so I have elected to go with the Joe Cali conversion shroud and I am going to try and keep it as stock looking as possible. Flat black and silver.
Old October 27th 2011, 05:37
Administrator

Leavenworth!?!

For some reason I always thought you were in Europe. I missed the cruise this year by simply mixing up the dates in my head. As stated, don't worry about the crank movement. I would have the crank checked/measured due to those bearings though. Doesn't look too bad, but better to be safe. If you get stuck for internal parts I may have what you need, I'm just North of Vancouver Bc.

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap
Old October 27th 2011, 11:31

Wow, I had no idea you are so close. I follow your build thread religiously and am a huge fan of your cars. I am in Tacoma, Wa. I actually picked up a set of 2 liter rods and crank that appear to be in good condition, and the one originally pictured is the 1.7/1.8 crank. Im going to take a bunch of parts up to Northwest Connecting Rod to have them checked out. Hope to see you and one of your cars next year at the cruise
Old October 27th 2011, 14:04

Recaro Seats

Also forgot to mention I made a welcome addition to my interior. Recaro seats from a MkII gti/gli. The perfect mix of comfort and support. I welded a couple pieces of flatbar to a stock set of seat bases and the seats bolt on to those. This puts the seats at a perfect level.

Old October 27th 2011, 15:07

Nice shot in the magazine

Those seats are one of my fav's, good find!
Old October 27th 2011, 18:51
Administrator

I have a nice pair of those seats down in the shop. I plan to put them in my son's bug one of these days.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old January 24th 2016, 00:38

Its been awhile. I like this forum and still check it occasionally. The type 4 motor didn't work out. I was too young and didn't have enough time, money or experience to make it happen. Now is a different story.

I am currently in the process of installing an ej22 motor from a 1993 Legacy into my bug, and just wanted to share some of the things that I have done to make it a clean install. Currently I have the wiring harness done, but not shortened and fitted to my car. I am in the process of fabricating the exhaust, and making changes to the engine that will be handy later. I will let the pictures speak for themselves.

Things I have knocked off the list

Wiring harness
Sump stock fuel tank
Run 3/8" fuel lines through the tunnel and into the engine compartment
Shortened oil sump and pickup tube
Reversed coolant manifold (will add pictures later)
Many more things to come

I was rear ended a couple years ago and it really messed the car up. I have most of the body back to where it needs to be, but getting it moving under its own power is my major motive at the moment.

Old January 24th 2016, 10:12

Sorry to hear about the accident. An insurance company will never know the hundreds of hours we put into these cars nor will some idiot who hits you.

Maybe it's my computer, but I can't see the photos on your newest post.
Old January 27th 2016, 00:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadewombat View Post
Sorry to hear about the accident. An insurance company will never know the hundreds of hours we put into these cars nor will some idiot who hits you.

Maybe it's my computer, but I can't see the photos on your newest post.
Hmmm, not sure why you cant see the pictures. I have looked on several different computers and they work.

Dealing with the insurance company when haggling for the value of my car was the biggest pain in the ass. I hate insurance companies.
Old February 2nd 2016, 01:41

About done with the fabrication work for my header. Waiting on a vband flange that will connect the header to the canister style muffler i plan on making. I want the exhaust to exit out the stock location. You can see the amount of clearance i will get with this setup now. Before I make the muffler portion I plan on doing a test fit of what i have so far.

Old February 2nd 2016, 12:37

that header looks awesome!
Old February 3rd 2016, 01:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookvw View Post
that header looks awesome!
Thank you! It has been fun making it.

Here is a picture of the reverse coolant manifold that I made. I have a lathe at work so I made up the segment and welded in as an extension. It lines up straight with the car and fits under the intake manifold nicely.

Old February 3rd 2016, 18:50

nice work, is your header high enough? I scrape my cross pipe flanges all the time