GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old October 12th 2011, 12:46

It boils down to what you are wanting to spend and what you actually expect your next engine to do.Be assured that a Jake Raby conversion package or turnkey engine will be pricey.The quality will no doubt be excellent.But if it´s bang for the buck you are after,you might want to consider something else.If you have the capabilities to build an engine yourself,then a suby conversion will be a little cheaper if you can find a good donor engine.It´s the same game as with the type 4 the difference being that a good suby engine is easier to source and the aftermarket parts are plentiful and usually cheaper than good type 4 aftermarket parts.If you want modern commodities and a modern engine that is nearly trouble free,then the suby is the right choice.HP/cubic inch isn´t any higher than a type 4 either unless you really sink a lot of cash into it and go for all out high dollar race components.If you´re looking for the most HP per dollar then a rotary is the best choice.With good porting and a single 48mm IDA carb those little suckers pump out 280HP@8500rpm and you can do it for under 2000 dollars.
My opinion is if a fun daily driven turbocharged engine with real heat in the winter and long life is what you want,then a suby is really the best choice,even though I am a die hard type 4 guy.
Old October 12th 2011, 19:45

does anyone have a link to the newsletter that was sent out? Ive been interested in doing the conversion but would like more information
Old October 13th 2011, 05:05

I would register on Jakes Forums and just post that you would like a newsletter and infos and they will hook you up.

http://forums.aircooledtechnology.com/
Old October 18th 2011, 17:33

I've currently clocked up 193'800klms (120'000miles) in almost 7 years in my conversion. I'm wrapped with my little bug, having owned it for 20 years now , the last 7 years have been the most fun. I'm a massive vw engine fan, but we have to evolve, well some of us have to.

I'm very happy with the Subaru power. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrXIjcfH_ag I can drive it every day , take the kids to school & drive to the track on the weekend, then drive home. no trailer needed.

regards
Jak

http://www.superbeetlesonly.com/foru...y&cmd=sc&cat=6