GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old September 26th 2011, 07:48

It was great weather last sunday, I'll update later some more. In short I gained a lot on my time and even got a prize!

Old September 26th 2011, 08:43

Post a couple of photos when possible. We love to see the best turbocharged type iv beetle in action.
BMW E30 318i CONVERTIBLE 1992
Italian Toys - GERMAN WAR MACHINES
WRC is for boys - GROUP B WAS FOR MEN
Old September 26th 2011, 12:13

Sure will, but it usually takes a few days until all track photographers have published their pictures ;-)
Old September 26th 2011, 16:42

Last edited by Wally; September 26th 2011 at 16:50.
Old September 27th 2011, 04:49

nice pic's. did you notice any differance with having the rear wing fitted?
Old September 27th 2011, 04:50

Ooooooooooohhhhhh I like that one!
Old September 27th 2011, 05:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgie View Post
nice pic's. did you notice any differance with having the rear wing fitted?
I knew someone was gonna ask me that
Unfortunately, I have changed about 6 seperate things (LSD, stiffer front springs, different brake balance, bit more boost, removed 40lbs front seat and the wing) on the car before this final. I drove 2,5 seconds of my lap time compared to last month on the same track. It was also quit a bit warmer (more tire grip) and I may have driven a bit more agrressive, so you tell me what caused it by what percentage..?
From my (very) limited seat of the pants feeling, I'd say the higher boost, more grip from the warmer tarmac and my driving made the most difference.
The LSD did not give more understeer at all (to my surprise), but did make the car brake hard more stable. It didn't wiggle its tail anymore under hard braking, even though my top speed at the end of the straight was now 210 km/h (131 mph in 4th gear, approaching 7K rpm) and 5 km/h faster then last month.
There was a point where I (finally) felt the rear tires blocking and I immediately adjusted the Tilton brake bias adjuster (for the first time I ever needed it!) a few clicks. Also a few times on WOT accelerating out of a tight corner in second gear, the rear wanted to step out a little, but I think the LSD also made that exercise a little more controllable, if not for having prevented a spin alltogether.
So, not sure the wing did anything. But its my own basterdized wing, so it doesn't mean _a_ wing would not help. I think it does, but a little better design then just the flat sheet of alu that I used, might work better :-)

Even so, compared to other (modern) cars with much less hp, I am still relatively (very) slow!! I can only conclude I probably cannot drive and/or don't push it to the limits at all. I do want to get home and getting old(er), so that might have s/th to do with it too LOL

I did the laps on 20 psi of boost, so with about 425 chp on the track! and it all went well as I drove the car home on its own wheels afterwards.

All in all, I found it a very good ending of the season

Last edited by Wally; September 27th 2011 at 06:02.
Old September 27th 2011, 09:43

Quote:
I do want to get home and getting old(er), so that might have s/th to do with it too LOL
Yeah, no kidding Wally...do you get a senior´s discount yet at the track My guess is while you are running at a for you comfortable speed,the "faster guys" are probably very close to or at their limit.Some use aggressiveness and self over estimation to make up for talent and end up throwing the car off the track.There is no shame in being sensible and responsible
Old September 27th 2011, 09:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Turbobug View Post
My guess is while you are running at a for you comfortable speed,the "faster guys" are probably very close to or at their limit.Some use aggressiveness and self over estimation to make up for talent and end up throwing the car off the track.
Your not that far of with that assesment! There was indeed quit a lot of damage from cars going off last sunday... (knock on wood).
But its hard to explain everytime why I'am not much faster with so much hp onboard
Old September 27th 2011, 11:14

Maybe with constant training at the track, your lap times will change. It seems that the cars potential have changed a lot with all these new adjustments. Give a bit of time and I believe that you will see a great improvement on your track records. Did you have a new set of slicks this weekend or you were running oldies?
Old September 27th 2011, 12:34

Maybe it's that your in a different space/time continuem? Personally, I go with Einstein that as you approach the speed of light you get longer. If you get longer it stands to reason that it will take lomnger to get round
Old September 27th 2011, 14:34

I'll take your bug for a spin after you and we could compare telemetry I just need to get over there... Ideally though, that's the best way to measure improvements accurately, to use a telemetry box and compare overlays with other drivers.
Old September 28th 2011, 05:33

That´s alright Wally...don´t push it! Speed comes with confidence.Like TSAF said,you´ve made a lot of changes and you´ve invested a lot of time and money in that project.It´s a hobby and it´s built to have fun.As long as you´re having fun and constantly improving,who cares what the other drivers are running.
Old September 28th 2011, 05:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Turbobug View Post
That´s alright Wally...don´t push it! Speed comes with confidence.Like TSAF said,you´ve made a lot of changes and you´ve invested a lot of time and money in that project.It´s a hobby and it´s built to have fun.As long as you´re having fun and constantly improving,who cares what the other drivers are running.
Well said
Old September 28th 2011, 09:04

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

The rear wing is ugly from the sides, but I already knew I need to make nicer stands or buy something:
[/

Last edited by Wally; September 28th 2011 at 09:11.