GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old May 19th 2010, 09:48

Fuel tank venting question?

I just started putting miles on the bug (1302) and am getting bad raw fuel smell when the fuel sloshes a bit. I've checked for leaks and can't find anything, and when you open the trunk you get a blast of fuel smell.

For venting I have a 1/2" or so hose on the filler side connecting to the filler spout to vent air when filling, and on the non-filler side there are two small 3/16"? ports on the back that I have t'eed together going up to the bodywork and then that comes down and through into the wheel well. I'll try and get a picture

The gas door has been shaved so you have to open the trunk to fill it. There is a silicon 90 elbow off the tank connect to the filler cap assembly. It seems there is a smell coming from that elbow but I can't see a leak.

Any ideas? How do you guys have your venting setup?

Mike
Old May 19th 2010, 10:34

After some more research it looks like the silicone hose is probably not fuel resistant. Now I either need to find a fuel resistant elbow or get mandrel bend steel 90 to weld on to the filler cap piece and then a straight piece of filler hose to connect to the tank.

Mike
Old May 20th 2010, 12:05

Mike with the normal tank connections the 2"(ish) filler hose goes straight to the tank. There is a 1/2" hose to vent the top of the tank back to the filler neck. This is to stop blow back as the tank reaches the full mark. Off the 1/2" hose there is a Tee with a 3/16"(?) vent hose that should return to the opposite side of the car and then vent down to the open air. Because its on the opposite side of the car there will be no liquid in the pipe only vapour. If the silicone hose is not petrol resistant, which is probably the case then that may be your answer but the vent pipes I've described should keep the air fresh.

The two 3/16" pipes you have seem unusual but if you connect them together and run them to the opposite side of the car again and under the scuttle before venting to fresh air, I expect that to work also.

Clive
Old May 25th 2010, 10:07

Maybe the two 3/16" pipes are drain from the original gas heater? I don't know if this is a California tank or from a Canadian car.

Anway, problem is solved. Replaced the 90 elbow with a goodyear fuel filler elbow and replaced the gas cap rubber o-ring with a new one. No matter how hard you slosh it around now there is no fuel smell. Thanks!