GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old July 6th 2004, 14:19

Ayrton Senna was as good a driver as Schumacher. If Senna were still alive and racing today, he likely wouldi've bettered Juan Fangio's record of 5 championships well before Schumacher did.

Yeah, I'm not a Ferrari basher. They hadn't won a constructor's title since like '83, and hadn't had a world champion driver since Nikki Lauda in '75 (I think) so they were due some success.

I WOULD like to see someone else win once in a while.
'83 928S 4.7
Old July 6th 2004, 16:00

Location: California (Southern for school, northern for summer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vujade
Well I hate NASCAR too... but I think for me it sucks even more because I live in Daytona and we have to deal with having all those yee haws here a few times a year. Not just on TV!
I'm fortunate enough to live right around the corner from Sonoma, CA and Sears Point Raceway (I refuse to call it Infineon) so I get to see the only NASCAR raec worth watching up close. It's gotta be tough driving a tank on a road course though...phew.
Old July 6th 2004, 16:48

Isn't it funny how some NASCAR teams sub-in SCCA drivers at Sears Point, and Watkins Glen.
'83 928S 4.7
Old July 7th 2004, 02:57

It's nice to here your views about F1 and especially the WRC, coming from the UK I along with most motorsport fans over her are under the impression that Americans are only interested in champ car, NASCAR and monster trucks.
Don't get me wrong if theres no real motor sport on cable I will watch that stuff
No realy, you guys have got one of the best rally (ish) events in the world Pikes Peak, those guys are crazy 6-7-800BHP cars weighing about the same as an apple blasting up the moutains, what could be more fun
It realy is nice to here your coments on how and when they broadcast races/rallys, over here F1 does get quite a good coverage but WRC..... we might be lucky to see two hours of a whole event, even our own event 'The Rally of Great Britian' (being slightly biased one of the best events in the calendar) we will be lucky if we get four hours of the whole event

Well rant over... sorry for the long post.

Rob.
Old July 7th 2004, 04:35

I've been to three monster truck "shows" and they all sucked, not one of them wrecked. Nascar does nothing for me, how hard is it to drive in a circle. Big ups to WRC, those guys are very, very crazy. Any of the real racing, the F1's, the Carts, GT's, AMA, WRC, you know speed and corner's is what motorsports is all about. I feel the same way as Brandon E, Sears Point will always be Sears Point.

Nick
Old July 7th 2004, 06:50
Administrator

I didn't even watch the Sears point NASCAR race.....ALMS was on SPEED. And you Brit's have "Top Gear" ,,,, Cool show, beats the hell out of MotoTrend TV, wish we had it over here. Speed is going to start showing "5th Gear" on Thursday nights starting this week. I thought that was the early version of "Top Gear".
Anyway,,,,,,WRC Rules.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old July 7th 2004, 08:18

:agree: Yes WRC rocks! I just saw the Rally of Turkey. I like the idea of running it in the summer better than last year with the snow.

SCCA ProRally also rocks, 'cept the factory teams all backed out of competetion starting this year.

Good news is that the privateers get a better chance of winning. Mitsubishi, Subaru, and Hyundai used to dominate the SCCA. Now it's the Irish Mafia and their Lancer Evo IV's that will be hard to beat (inside joke)
'83 928S 4.7
Old July 7th 2004, 15:09

i keep seeing guys say how hard is it to race in a circle? well your not doing it so it must be more work than your prepared for. at least give credit where its due. and yes i do watch nascar IF i have the time, its the only race thats one every sunday,that you can see without having cable. I live in a historic district and my new, old house doesnt have cable access yet, so its all i got for now. Plus look at america in general, its this countrys motorsport for the masses. it was back woods bred, from bootlegers, and will always have a place with the good ole boys. Its also nice to see guys " bang doors" and still walk away from it, with good attitudes most of the time. You always hear other motorsports personalitys talk bad about nascar. A sport is a sport weather you like it or not. I would rather watch nascar wit drivers who have some class than watch arrogant f1 drivers who could give a rats a$$ for their followers who basicly fund the drivers paycheck with sells or merchandise.
Old July 7th 2004, 18:05

Location: California (Southern for school, northern for summer)
NASCAR has its moments but for the most part if I'm gonna get off on roundy round racing it has to sprint cars on a dirt track. Those things are just plain fun to watch. There is nothing like watching a guy go flipping through a plywood wall at 110mph. The 3/8 mile track in town is the best $12 you can spend on Saturday night. That reminds me....my buddies little brother is racing next weekend....I wonder if he needs a pit crew
Old July 7th 2004, 19:14

"Give me corners, or give me death!"

-Nick
Old July 7th 2004, 20:16

Any of you have on-demand? I recently watched the "world racing championships" or whatever. It consisted of drivers from all around the world and from different categories. Nascar, super-bike, rally, f1, indy etc. etc.
The races were 1 on 1 on identical dirt tracks. The cars raced were race class buggies and rally cars. Jeff Gordon (NASCAR) and the rest of the Americans won against the other competitors. I believe Gordon actually defeated another rally racer in the final. HAVE TO WATCH IT AGAIN.

Point being, all negative views I had towards NASCAR drivers were quickly dismissed. NASCAR is boring as all hell to watch but those guys can drive!! Respect.
Old July 7th 2004, 20:36
Administrator

Some of the NASCAR driver can drive and some ofthem have to give up their seat to a real driver when they go to Sears point or Watkins Glen.
I used to follow NASCAR and liked it,,,But I gave up on it when the Lumina entered the game. It use to be that the Factories had to produce some many cars to get ther car on the track. But now you can't get any car that is no the track with a V8 and rear wheel drive. As soon as one make gets an edge they change the rules. I don't hate the drivers,,,,I hate the game.
My original rant is due to the fact that Speed Channel use to bring a wide range of motorsport to us and over the last few years it has become dominated by NASCAR. I miss the go-carts, small time drag racing, hell even lawn mower racing, it don't get any more Red Neck than that. But on a Sunday evening there is no less than 3 shows to recap the NASCAR race from that day. NASCAR TECH, INSIDE NEXTEL CUP, TRACKSIDE, SPEED NEWS NASCAR EDITION, BLAH BLAH BLAH. I mean they recap the racap of the recap. I wish they would just make a second channel (NASCAR TV) and put Speed Channel back to what it was. Then I could channel block it.
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old July 7th 2004, 20:56
Administrator

Even the late great Dale Earnheart Sr. (great driver, great man) knew that if he was going to stand with the likes of AJ Foyt and Mario and the Unser brothers, he needed to get into a world class car and do well in a world class seiries. So he joined the Corvette team in ALMS. Now you see other capable NASCAR drivers strap into other types of cars to show what they can do.
Nope I never said I could do it, that is why I'm a race fan not a driver. And some drivers are asses, I meet AJ Foyt at the wind tunnel when I worked at Lockheed GA. Maybe he was havin' a bad day, but he was an *** that day.
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old July 7th 2004, 21:16

You people are a bad influence on me. I haven't been able to stop thinking about getting my racing licence and going motorcycle racing. There is a track about 2 hours from my house.

CAN'T RESIST ANY LONGER...........
www.volksport.net Volksport Kfer Gruppe
Old July 8th 2004, 07:40

"Give me corners, or give me !"

now thats a great slogan, maybe its a new gl oath?