GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old January 15th 2003, 16:47

Sandeep, did you notch the ridge around the plug hole for the sending unit tang? It will fit much better if you do. I am set up with CHT senders under all 4 plugs going to a rotary switch so I can monitor all cyls. Not much more money but alot more info on what is going on.
ken
Old January 15th 2003, 16:56

jake mentioned a company on some thread somewhere, STF or here (REALLY need to find that because i am having a hard time finding the same info on the web), called Westech. They make aircraft gauges to your specs. they have a circular or square gauge they can build with all four CHT's in one gauge. pretty sweet. that is NOT the low cost solution though. but not real expensive as i recall.

someone let me know if you find the site page with the gauge build info.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old January 15th 2003, 17:13
Administrator

Exclamation

Thanks for the heads up Ken. I will do that. I understand what you are doing with the 4 thermo's. I just want to be sure that when I'm WOT on the back straight, the heads stay about 350 - 375.

I have a datalogger that I used on my old 125cc race kart. Digitron is the name... it measured RPM, CHT, Water Temp, and Exhaust temp. Cool thing was, it would record the peak values for each and after the race, you could look at the graphs.

You couldn't read it while racing (last thing you want to do in a kart @ 100 mph is take your eyes off the road.)

I hope to use the gauges to make sure the engine is holding up and to make me confident in the systems I have chosen to cool my engine. Once I'm comfortable with that, then I can concentrate on winning races !

Sandeep
Old January 15th 2003, 18:24

Question

sandeep, questions for you:

1. when mounting the pulley, did you just cut off the stem that was used to index the fan? since the three bolts are offset indexing is not a problem with it removed.

2. did you remove the four bolts on back around the crank that used to hold the shroud?

Old January 15th 2003, 22:13
Administrator

Zen,

Yup, I used a dremel and trimmed off the little stub for the pulley crank because the 3 holes in the fat pulley are offset.

I'm not sure of the 4 bolts you are talking about. I did remove 4 studs around the crank pulley at would interfere with the pulley belt. Are these the ones ?

Sandeep
Old January 19th 2003, 22:33

Sandeep, have you received your fan yet?? I'd be interested in seeing some more pics. BTW, in your instructions from FAT, does it mention if you have to use the tins that go under the cylinders? Either T1 or T4 style...Jake says that those tins back up the air in the shroud even more than if it didn't have them!! What are your plans for that issue??
Good luck,

Eddie.

www.germandreams.com
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/eduardobrown/index.html
Old January 19th 2003, 22:36

stock TIV is only good for a stock TIV cooling system, the air direction has everything to do with it.

Thats why the TIII Tins on a TI engine don't work either..If it worked better VW would have used them.
Old January 19th 2003, 22:59

Jake, so you would not use the tins under the cylinders? In your experience, does the airflow reach the lower part of the cylinders eventually?. I know & appreciate your views on 911 style set ups even though you personally don't like them. Since I'm going with 103's need the feedback on this issue. Know what I mean?. Hopefully down the road I'll be able to shell out the buck$ for the nickies.

Take care,

Eddie.
Old January 20th 2003, 00:07

I asked Oliver about under cylinder tin a while ago. He told me that the German tuners use type 4 under cylinder tin with no problems.
ken
Old January 20th 2003, 02:54

Ken,
To add to that, they do not only use them with 'no problems', but its use is regarded mandatory.
Walter
Old January 20th 2003, 13:06

They obviously never tested it back to back on the same engine and saw the power changes or the difference in the cylinder temperatures..

I have.
Old January 20th 2003, 14:22

so do you end up with a hot spot underneath the jugs or is there an edy of sorts that cools underneath? i had just been assuming that the tins we a must. glad this came up as a discussion point.

Old January 20th 2003, 14:34

Cylinder tin

Remarkable Jake, what would be the reason for the higher temperature when the tin is left out, since the tin has an edge, that scoops up air which would otherwise flow through the engine and is lost? Now the scooped air is redirected back to the underside (middle) of the cylinders, which in turn should provide better cooling!
I'am confused. Please help us out Jake!
Walter
Old January 20th 2003, 14:50

Yes, use the TINS, but not the TIV tins. I use TI tins for this...

Believe what you want, but the tin on every single upright engine that has left my shop since 1997 has had these tins, ever heard anyone complain about their engine running hot?

The TIV tin is made to create a restriction, as the air blows over the cylinders horizonatlly, instead of verticaly down over the cylinders...

Believe what you want, German tuners don't know everything just because they are in Germany, and I don't know everything either, but I have the data to prove what I'm saying, all from the same engine same day, same dyno and same loads. Do they?

Zen, I'll even show it to you next time you come here.
Old January 20th 2003, 15:03

thanks for expounding on that with some more detail, jake. that makes more sense. i think we were all under the impression that you were recommending NO tin. makes more sense now.

shoot me an email and let me know when is a good time to come up.