GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old January 19th 2005, 14:39

cages

I've heard of people making their own roll cages, but it seems like they'd be weaker than one built for you, right? I mean shops go out and spend $$$ for these high tech tools to make bends and weld it all cleanly together.

Well I guess the question is has anyone made a cage and still turn out really nice?

The ones I've seen were made from the pipe benders at like harbor frieght and mig welded, is this even legal in some classes, or is it more so the construction and materials?

thanks
rip
Old March 16th 2005, 04:02

the only differnece between cages made at home and ones made by companies are that the companies have better tube bending tools to give a bend that is not deformed in the way that would happen with a 'crossbow' tube bender flattens the tubes profile slightly. also access to a good welder and someone used to welding tight turns is deffo an advantage. saying that its not impossible for the DIYer to achieve as strong a cage as the strength comes not only fromthe construction but also the design, if you follow the rules set down by the FIA you shoud be able to produce a good strong safe cage.

just remember that if your not confident with a welder then dont risk your life!
Old March 17th 2005, 19:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip
I've heard of people making their own roll cages, but it seems like they'd be weaker than one built for you, right? I mean shops go out and spend $$$ for these high tech tools to make bends and weld it all cleanly together.

Well I guess the question is has anyone made a cage and still turn out really nice?

The ones I've seen were made from the pipe benders at like harbor frieght and mig welded, is this even legal in some classes, or is it more so the construction and materials?

thanks
rip
Hello Rip

I'm at this moment making my own rollcage, it's almost ready as I speak (finally)

Here's an link to it.
http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/sho...light=rollcage

What Jimby says is right. THe companies have better tube bendingd tools (that are for an non-american alsmost not to achieve or even get). The bender I use.. leaves an verry little bump in the tubes (you can just feel it) BTW I use is an heavier/proffesionaller version of the cheap ones than you'll find by several internetshops (in Holland this is). The litle bumps infact an little bit of the strongness of the cage, but is definatelly not the head isue...
Far more important is the design and the welding. I and my brother welded the cage ourself and I definetally know that our cage will gave is verry strong and safety!!!

p.s. I don't like cages that has to leave there strongness on the floorpans.

Greetings Wiebrand
Old March 17th 2005, 19:32

BTW keep in mind that making an cage your own (definetally an large one as mine) cost VERRY VERRY MUCH TIME not only in making it, but much more in calculating, measuring, thinking were to mount that, etc...

Greetings Wiebrand.
Old March 18th 2005, 22:54

If your gonna be driving the car that you built then personally Id make sure the cage was well built. In the end the person that is gonna care the most is you in the car. Personally I dont trust anybody with my life. One thing to rember its gonna be more expensive to build your own cage then to buy the proper tools to build it yourself.
Old May 22nd 2005, 15:24

bit of an aside to this thread but still relative. I ve been watching some build a car for a purpose competition thing on discovery, monster garage or some thing and when they make a cage on that they dont use a single loop over the drivers head, or jst behind maybe. they weld two almost 45 degree angles together. not very good at explaining this. Would this not be weaker i always understood tht the strength of the hoop was in that it was all one piece.

Cheers Karl
Old May 27th 2005, 23:30

From my standpoint, I would buy a roll bar or cage rather than build one. Autopower sells them for ~$500 shipped.
Old June 2nd 2005, 21:07

Is it possible to have useful cage that still allows easy access to the rear seats? It seems that all the retail ones basically block off the back.
Old June 2nd 2005, 22:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by libila
From my standpoint, I would buy a roll bar or cage rather than build one. Autopower sells them for ~$500 shipped.
Do you have a link for them?
Old June 2nd 2005, 23:25

Sure thing! Here is the design of the race roll bar- http://www.autopowerindustries.com/Roll_Bars.htm

If you want a cage later then you can add what they call a "U-Weld Front Cage Kit" or you can order a full cage- http://www.autopowerindustries.com/Roll_Cages.htm

Here is where you can order- http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant...ry_Code=AP9150

Just for clarification, Autopower roll bars and cages are made by I/O Port.

I recommend talking to the guys at I/O Port before you order because they only have the street roll bar listed on the site. I've talked to them before, and they are nice guys with plenty of answers. The Autopower bars are nice because you can choose which design you want, material, and they are SCCA legal.

I hope this helped.
Old June 5th 2005, 23:19

Anyone have a Autopower cage in their Beetle? (libila?) I talked to the guys at I/O. They say the main hoop leans back ~10 degrees. I was hoping it ran parallel with the door post like the RLR. I just want to see some pix of a actual install before making a purchase...
Old June 6th 2005, 13:39

I don't have one, yet. I found out about the cage through rsrnate over at shoptalkforums. I asked him if he could get pictures but he can't.
Old June 10th 2005, 13:46

Mike, have you heard anything back from Nate on STF? I'm itching to see those pictures if he has them.
Old June 10th 2005, 23:57

Nope. No word yet...
Old June 14th 2005, 23:07

Jacques posted these, which are good for now. Hopefully they can take some internal shots soon. Enjoy.