GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old January 3rd 2004, 20:15

944 calipers on all 4's or Ghia fronts and 914 rears?

I have this dilema. I have the option to get early 944 calipers and rotors all around my Ghia, or Keep the fronts as they are, and use 914 rear calipers to have all wheel disc brakes. I have all of the parts, and the rims, just need to know what the overall consensus is on these. I have been looking at the early 944 design, and though the piston is a lot larger than the ones on the front of the Ghia, the Ghia calipers do have dual pistons. The rotors are far better on the 944 model, and are vented so there's that plus.

I am still trying to find a source for the rear brackets for the 914 calipers, but I do have the complete rear assembly of a 944, thus facilitating this conversion in the rear.

I have asked all around, and no one seems to know where to get the adaptors for the 944 calipers, and locally I cannot find a source for the materials, or a machine shop that would make them for me.

Thanks for looking.

E
Old January 4th 2004, 16:57

For the 944 conversion, you could try getting the bearing adapters to fit porsche bearings on the ghia spindle from dgluyas since you can't get them locally. He's in Australia. Maybe he can hook you up with a caliper adapter too.

http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/sho...bearing+spacer

I don't know much about the 914 conversion, but I'd imagine it's going to require some machined adapters and since you can't get any machine work done locally, you may be stuck in the same situation for both conversions....
Old January 4th 2004, 17:56

Philippe,

I realized I was stuck, and this is why I posted this on this forum. I posted the very same situation on the STF(SHop talk forums)
and so far locally no one has replied. I will contact Dgluyas and see about the bearing spacers and adapters. Unfortunately CSP doesn't make a vented caliper big enough to use the early 944 caliper with(so they replied)

E
Old January 5th 2004, 00:58

Well hopefully dgluyas can help you out.

as for the csp rotors, aren't they the kerscher rotors? on the kerscher site they offer rotors that are 270x20mm in a bunch of bolt patterns including porsche. I know that early stock 944 rotors are 20.5 mm thick when they're brand new, so the thickness is good.

If anyone can find out the diameter of the stock 944 rotors, and if they're close enough in size, you might have part of your problem solved...
Old January 5th 2004, 02:09

I think under the tech articles Superman posted a list of all the specs on a pallithera of Porsche parts. Or search the forums that info is around here somewhere.
Old January 5th 2004, 23:49

I will look for that info. right now, if I could find a place to get the adaptor brackets made then I could see how the fit would go in the Ghia. I will try to contact Kerscher and see.

Thanks guys.

E
Old January 6th 2004, 09:28

E,
You can do it it even more simple and bolt-on!:
Just use (what you in the US call) Ghia front disks and the complete 944 only rear disk 'conversion'.
The Ghia parts are stock items and the 944 ('83 to '85) will bolt right on. Just make a little modified handbrake actuator out of 4mm steel plate(: very simple), so you can use your existing handbrake cable.
More (all) info is in this forum: very elaborate.
And no, it doesn't overbrake that way.
Good luck,
Walter
Old January 6th 2004, 18:53

Wally,

originally I thought of doing the very same thing, but thought it would be biassed to the rear. I guess it is simple, and I already have the front Ghia disc brakes. I want to make sure that the brakes are as good as they could be, due to the type 4 motor i have, and the 2270 i'm working on.

E
Old January 11th 2004, 19:06

Does anyone know if there's a Kerscher vented rear disc disc setup?
Also, have any of you found a machine shop where to get the brackets made?

Ephry
Old February 21st 2004, 19:29

Ephry,

I think the biggest problem with having someone make the brackets is liability. If you were ever in an accident, and the (your) car turned out to be modified, particulary in the braking system - with the right backing (lawyers) the nice folks who made the brackets could be sued until they were dry. That's why most custom/performance parts are sold "for off road use only". Gets them out of the liability issue. It's one thing doing something for yourself and dealing with your own mods and liability, totally different for a business. I think the best thing to do, unless you have access to the required machine tools is to go with tried and proven products available commercially. Costs more for sure, but in most cases it's a bolt-on proposition!

Jeff