GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old October 9th 2003, 18:58

16x7 and 16x8 teledial fitment

I just got a set of teledials and need to know what I need to do to fit them.

I am going to use redrilled drums and not adapters.

do if I need spacers?

do I need wider fenders?

what size tires should I use?

I like really low profile tires and am thinking that I would like to run stretched tires on the front just so I can have as much clearance as possible.

any info would be appreciated
Old October 10th 2003, 06:39

what are you putting them on?

i believe all 16x7 and 16x8 are ET11 and ET23 respectively for offset. i know the ones for my 951 are anyway. assuming you have a T1 of some type, you will not get these under stock wings without shortening everything. i have 2" and 3" wider fenders and they would be just about a perfect fit. i decided to go with 17's in the end, but almost ran a set of these and did alot of fitments.

so if you use these, plan on wider fenders or shortening front and rear. they will give i nice deep dish look though.

tires, the 951 uses 205/55 and 225/50. these are probably close to right for a T1. that is not "stretching" the front though. just becareful how far you go with that. stay within specs or you are asking for trouble. not to mention it can look funny.

hope this helps.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old October 10th 2003, 08:36

I thought teledials also came in an et52?

I know some of then arent deep dish style, they are very flat faced.

There should be markings in the back of the rims that will tell you the offset.

If you want a super low profile for the front, you could always use a 205/40/16. They are very low. I like them alot myself & almost thought of going with 16" rims just so I could run them. Some companies I believe even have a 195/40/16 which would give you even more of that stretched look on your front rims but still fall within the recommended size tires for a 7" wide rim.

In the rear, I would go with a 225/40/16 on your 8" rim.

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old October 10th 2003, 12:31

yea, some are high offset, but i thought those were all 15". i could easily be wrong here.

Old October 10th 2003, 12:47

I have a set of 16x7 and 16x8 phonedials off a 951 and they're 52.3 mm offset.

I'm doing the 944 N/A conversion w/dropped spindles (I have all the used parts I need except all the parts that I'm buying brand new, like rotors, caliper rebuild kits, etc.)

I'll likely be running 195/50s up front, or maybe 45 series or 40 if I can find them. Not really sure about the rear yet, probably like 205/50s, or 205/45s. I may completely change my mind later about tire sizes though.

Once I get my brakes installed I'll just test fit them with the stock 951 tires I still have on the rims. I have a set of 1" spacers I pilfered from the 944 that I got all of my used parts off of, in case I need them. I figure I can have them milled down if I need them to be less than an inch thick.

I'm pretty sure that if you got a set with the same offset as mine, you should be able to fit them under stock fenders. You'll probably need spacers though.

Oh and I'm going to get my phonedials polished, oooooooh...

Old October 10th 2003, 14:15

I 'm putting my wheels on a standard beetle, it's either going to be porsche blue, almond beige, or ginster yellow. I'm having the teles polished on the lip and having the centers painted matte black with polished caps. I have a 69 beetle thats been cut to be a baja right now but am getting a body from a 68 to throw on the pan, I'm thinking about having all my fenders and running boards be carbon fiber with clearcoat but that's alot of $$ so I'll probably just go with fiber glass fenders.

thanks for all the suggestions, I have a better idea of what I should be doing now, feel free to post with any other suggestions

oh and the wheels defiinitely are 52.3 mm offset, I checked the back of the wheel

later
thom
Old October 11th 2003, 08:57

with that offset you should be fine then. post some pics of those rims once they are done.

Old October 11th 2003, 10:45

fine with the stockfenders?, what about supension and stuff when i bolt it up, will it clear all of that without rubbing? do you think I should use a spacer? I'm going to be dropping the car a few inches too I want to run really low... I'm not doubting, just need clarification before I get too far in the planning stges

thanks
thom
Old October 11th 2003, 14:54

If you're just replacing your drums with drilled ones, you won't have much if any track increase, so with such high offset wheels, you'll likely need spacers all around to keep your tires from rubbing on your trailing arms and inner fender when your steering is at full lock. I have heard that the rears may rub on the body mount above the upper shock bolt, but you You might want to add spacers from an aesthetics standpoint as well to keep the wheels from looking too tucked in.

Do you have the wheels yet? If you do, take off your wheels and mock them up. That should give you a better idea of if you need spacers or not...
Old October 11th 2003, 15:57

Quote:
Originally posted by Philippe

Do you have the wheels yet? If you do, take off your wheels and mock them up. That should give you a better idea of if you need spacers or not...
I wish I had that luxury, I have the wheels, and I have the car, but the car is a baja right now and all jacked into the air, and cut up, and um, not at all like how it's going to be, I'm getting a body in november... and it's complete... except for fenders... and it's all going together like a giant model kit.

i'm really trying to make the build go really smoothly so it can be done quickly.

thanks
thom
Old October 11th 2003, 19:45

spent some time with the wheels today, I polished one centercap, not sure why but it keeps gettig really shiny, then like in 30 sec, it's really dull again, I know this is way off the original topic, but I just wanted to keep the thread going and show off my hard work

before

and after

oh and I never showed the wheels to begin with

front

and rear

I am really hoping to have my chasis together soon so I can put them on, but I also have to polish the lips and paint the centers black, and figure out why the center caps are oxidizing so quickly

later
thom