GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Brakes

Old January 21st 2011, 23:55
vwdevotee

Which hubs?

I'm thinking about doing big brakes again and was wondering which hubs people have used under them? I know that 951 hubs can be readily adapted to stock T1 spindles, but can larger rotors like the 318mm or 330mm be slipped over the hub? From there it seems pretty simple to fab up the caliper bracket. Similar question for the rear. Will larger rotors fit on teh 951 rear hubs with the backing plates/caliper carriers? The caliper adapter might get a touch more interesting for the rear.
Old January 26th 2011, 08:55

I am not an major expert on these thing, but i can manage designing parts etc because i am engineer.

You could always use custom made hubs, and have either porsche rotor or wilwood rotor/hub assembly.

I plan to use wilwood 330x28 rotor, hat and custom type hub for beetle bearings, allready have designed the basic hub.

Caliper adapter should not be a problem at rear if you use monobloc caliper, easy to design bracket. Sebro has porsche rotor dimensions, so you can check that if any other porsche rear rotor fits instead of stock turbo 299x24 rotor.

Here is an old version of rotor/hub/caliper assembly with 310x20,6 rotor

Old January 27th 2011, 23:06

Yeah, you can pretty much do anything in the front. One hurdle is that the 964 and later front rotors are centric to a 157mm hub size, while the 951 hubs are centric to 155mm and the disk centering screws don't generally line up. So, you can install hubcentric rings to keep everything kosher. Or, I've done a few setups where I use the regular 944 hub (477...) and machine it down on the OD for 157mm rotors (Boxster, Boxster S, 996 etc) with 6mm longer studs. I've done Boxster S setups both ways (ie hubcentric sleeve on 951 hub and cut down 477 hub).

In the rear the choices are a little more limited. 986S rotors work. Some of the 930 stuff can also work. 993 are too shallow (they can work but the shoe overhangs). 996 works I'm pretty sure. Boxster doesn't work (shoe size too small). But for the most part, the rear offerings from Porsche have stayed the same at 299x24 unless it's something special (Turbos etc).

Cheers,
Lanner
Old January 28th 2011, 03:42

Yeah, thats true, many modern porsches have 299x24 rear rotors, except turbos etc. Some turbos have same size rotor at the back but thinner. Like 993 turbo, it has front 322x32 and rear 322x28 according to this rough list:

http://www.rennsportsystems.com/2c.html

There is no 944 rotor sizes, too bad. But some other models have same size brakes, like 964.