GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Clubs From Around The World > VolkSport Käfer Gruppe

Old July 11th 2005, 14:18

MassIVe 79 vert progress.....

Jake and I traveled to North Carolina Saturday to see the upholstery guy and pick out what we wanted. Went ahead and took him the 911 seats for the front and the 2 pieces of the back bench seat. We were there for 4 hours! Imagine that....Jake talked about engines the whole time! Anyway, we're very pleased with what we picked out and I think it is really gonna look sweet when it all comes together!

Yesterday we started getting parts together for the engine assembly.....got some things balanced and cleaned up the case (I've been much more up close and personal with the parts washer than I ever wished to)

I have updated the photobucket albums to include some pics of the parts ready and waiting for assembly.

Just take the link below and be sure to check out all the albums

http://photobucket.com/albums/a115/massive79vert/

The read only password to view this album is: Guest
"Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people I had to kill today because they pissed me off!"

Beth Raby
Old July 11th 2005, 14:44

cool. so you going to tell us what you picked out or what? glad to hear you are digging in on the engine too. you may need to get in better with the boss though to move up off that parts washer.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old July 11th 2005, 15:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen
so you going to tell us what you picked out or what?

glad to hear you are digging in on the engine too. you may need to get in better with the boss though to move up off that parts washer.
I picked out a black heavy guage vinyl for the seats with a tweed cloth insert in the center that is light grey, medium grey and black basket weave. The door panels will also be wrapped in the black vinyl with the cloth around the new door handles that the upholstery guy will make for us. The factory door handles just look like a cheap afterthought to me....so he's gonna make something that will flow a little better. Then a dark charcoal colored carpet. Black canvas top and black headliner. Oh yeah....we also found a boxster steering wheel with a full color Porsche crest in the center on e-bay. It should be shipping out to us today. So, now we have the boxster wheels and steering wheel to match! Keeping the dash black; but, tearing out the clock and stereo to install 3 dual guages. Carbon Fiber will also cover the orignal wood grain accents.

I'll have to see if I can't kiss up to "the boss" a little better next time and move off that damned parts washer!
"Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people I had to kill today because they pissed me off!"

Beth Raby
Old July 12th 2005, 14:50

We made a little bit of headway with the engine over the weekend but not as much as we would have liked to.

The interior is going to be sweet for sure! I had absolutely nothing to do with the interior choice- Thats all HER! All I care about in the interior is a set of Dual westach instuments to monitor my baby hiding out under the decklid!

The body and paint should be done in less than two weeks, then we Line X the tub, trunk and engine bay and install the podercoated top frame and associated seals and windows- Then its off to the interior shop!

While it's there I'll finish the engine, dyno it and design the gearbox and have those parts cryoed and superfinished then assemble it.

The goal is to Debut the car at the fall Circle Yer wagens event and get 50 MPG on the way there!
Old July 12th 2005, 15:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by massIVe 79 vert
Keeping the dash black; but, tearing out the clock and stereo to install 3 dual guages. Carbon Fiber will also cover the orignal wood grain accents.

DeJaVu

(ignore the tweeters, they have been removed and replaced with far nicer ones located in the stock circular heater vents on the dash, see http://members.lycos.co.uk/vdubhub/a...-TweeterIn.JPG )

CHT where the stock clock went, stereo relocated to glovebox, stock stereo slot used for 3 other gauges.
Lumps of carbon used where I can.

Sounds like your car is gonna be very nice.

Cya,
SAm C
Raby 2270, B spec gearbox, Lots of carbon fibre, Wolfrace Octane Black 17x7.5, Goodyear Eagle F1's, Kerscher suspension front and rear, kamei airdam in carbon, corbeau seats, momo millunium steering wheel.
CDT eurosport 6.5 front speakers, IDMAX 12D2 sub, rockford old school amps.
Old July 12th 2005, 20:29

Yep- Her car is indeed the "Princess edition"! Heck, its only taking less than 100 days to finish the entire project if we stay on schedule!

Sam, your dash looks similar to what ours is going to be, but for some reason your steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car! Might want to look into that!!!!! Must be a bitch to drive!

We are using dual Westach instruments, the stock clock will be giving up its position for a dual AFR and Tach all in one and we'll have dual EGT, Dual CHT and Dual Oil temp and pressure where theradio used to go...

We are installing a GPS and satellite radio to boot!
Old July 13th 2005, 03:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massive Type IV
Yep- Her car is indeed the "Princess edition"! Heck, its only taking less than 100 days to finish the entire project if we stay on schedule!
Would be fun to do a monster engine in a real sleeper beetle... Spray it pink and cover it in stick on flowers.... Not sure if she would approve, but it sure would surprise some people.

Quote:
Sam, your dash looks similar to what ours is going to be, but for some reason your steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car! Might want to look into that!!!!! Must be a bitch to drive!

Quote:
We are using dual Westach instruments, the stock clock will be giving up its position for a dual AFR and Tach all in one and we'll have dual EGT, Dual CHT and Dual Oil temp and pressure where theradio used to go...
You need to start selling these through your shop... I want some! (vdo just doesnt cut it?)

Quote:
We are installing a GPS and satellite radio to boot!
Tart...
Although saying that I have recently invested in satnav for my mobile phone, so my bug will have satnav/GPS too

Cya,
Sam C
Raby 2270, B spec gearbox, Lots of carbon fibre, Wolfrace Octane Black 17x7.5, Goodyear Eagle F1's, Kerscher suspension front and rear, kamei airdam in carbon, corbeau seats, momo millunium steering wheel.
CDT eurosport 6.5 front speakers, IDMAX 12D2 sub, rockford old school amps.
Old May 19th 2006, 16:59

Since there haven't been any posts to this thread in ten months, I feel I should be safe as far as the statutes of hijacking is concerned.

I was forced* into considering what I might want to do as far as gauges are concerned even though I do not want to do anything until I upgrade my Super's drivetrain. (* - via the stereo thread of mine)

Quote:
All I care about in the interior is a set of Dual westach instuments to monitor my baby hiding out under the decklid!
Can I get a confirmation from this finding of my search that these gauges and sending units will work in an air-cooled Volkswagen engine?

Here is the one which caught my eye. The pic at the bottom is 4xEGT but 4xCHT is available and is what I want.
Old May 20th 2006, 08:38

Thats a cool instrument and works well..

The plans ofor Beth's car have changed a bit and now it's getting a fully digitized instrument that will monitor 8 parameters of the engine while fitting in the stock speedo location- it's bad ***!
Old May 20th 2006, 13:47

Cool. I'd like to see her newer unit if you get a chance to post it sometime.

I have some ideas swimming around in my head between the Westach quad I linked above and the ideas being used on another older thread called "Gauge Art" (if I remember correctly).