GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old August 2nd 2012, 01:06

Ever think of putting "outerwears" pre-filters on?
I even like to run them on my street cars.
They not only keep the filters cleaner,
but, more importantly, water that hits them is shed to the outside of the filter,
and doesn't run down into the intake...
Old August 2nd 2012, 14:07
Administrator

I had looked at them but not considered it too heavily...though I don't know why. Now that you mention it, I think I'm going to try a set out.

*edit* now I remember...finding set that don't say "EMPI" on them is a pain the butt :P

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap

Last edited by owdlvr; August 2nd 2012 at 14:14.
Old August 16th 2012, 22:59
Administrator

...At Rocket Rally getting the rear skid plate fitted for this weeks Rush to Gold Bridge event.

-Dave
Old August 20th 2012, 03:10
Administrator

Whew! What a weekend.

The CCA "Rush to Gold Bridge" was our first stab at a mixed gravel and tarmac event for classic cars up here in Canada. The formula works well in California, where the events are well attended and popular. Up here, however, we have some work to do! A total of 6 cars made the start, but that was just fine by us. We modified the route throughout the weekend to suit the guests we had. Saturday was shortened due to heat, and Sunday we split into two groups with some cars going for the smooth gravel route, while others braved goat-path-like sections of road to claim they conquered a famous 4x4 only mountain pass. For this particular event, I left the gravel tires at home so that our guests wouldn't feel like their cars were about to die on the event. I could keep the sliding controlled enough for street tires, right?

We began in Hope BC, and after about an hour of paved twisties and canyon views, turned off to catch a ferry. This ferry, though, wasn't like your normal car ferry. This one is a reaction ferry, it has no motors and uses the current of the river to move back and forth between the two banks. An overhead cable holds the ferry and the two guys working the boat simply tilt it one way or another in the current to push across. At least if it sunk, I would have a chance of floating!

From there it was incredibly twisty gravel all the way to Lillooet. I have never driven a road which required so much steering movement, without a pause in between for straight sections. Toss in a little sliding action, and my hands never stopped moving. Rarely do I find myself happy we're stopping to regroup, but on this road I was thankful for the break and the reminder not to get too carried away! I was running without a co-driver, and more then a few turns were marked "Triple Caution!!! hairpin, exposure with large drop to the outside". I think one of the instructions for a corner we wrote was "Large drop with certain death straight ahead". Have I mentioned it was a blast!?! One of the straight sections:

It was 40.3 deg Celsius as we were doing this road, and for the time I saw 240F on the oil temperature gauge. It didn't go any further (the whole weekend) and once I determined that my oil cooler fan relay failed, the temps were brought back down to 220F for the rest of the day. Warwick, in the Mini, wasn't so lucky. A couple of overheats had him finishing this leg on the tow strap. Once it was cooled down, refilled with water and an expansion tank jimmy rigged, it ran like a top.

Having spent a lot of time with Warwick, we eventually decided that I should probably head to the rest of the group and tell them to carry on. The throttle pedal was dropped, and I went from casually enjoying a few corners here and there to fully setting up and linking slide after slide to try and make up time. I was in a left hand drift when I felt a wiggle...but was already pitching right. Upon returning back to the left, however, I instantly knew what had happened. 'Tis a wee bit flat back there!

Let that be a lesson to you: 165/R15's of unknown age, showing lots of cracking in the tread, are probably not the best tires for sliding around on gravel :P Normally I'd have had this fixed up quick and been on my way, but it would seem that I have neglected to purchase and install an important road-side repair tool. And, really, sweep and every other car is carry a jack. Why would I want to? I stood sheepishly by the side of the road waiting for Warwick and sweep to arrive so that they could now go and deliver the 'carry on' message.

With the flat fixed, it was off again. I met the group in Lillooet and proceeded to pay $50 for a used tire, of completely useless dimensions, to ease my fear of driving 300km home on a steel wheel. For the afternoon we ventured the 2.5 hours into Gold Bridge, via the Carpenter Lake Road. The road is mix of billiard-table-smooth gravel and paved sections. It winds up and down the side of the mountain sometimes mere inches from the river, while at other times so high you'd have time to count your mistakes before impact.

We arrived at the Chilcotin Holidays Ranch tired, dusty and hungry.

...Tomorrow, I'll recount Sunday. Then the cleanup begins!

-Dave

Last edited by owdlvr; August 21st 2012 at 03:45. Reason: Fixed Image links
Old August 20th 2012, 15:17
Administrator

Sunday started with breakfast at the Chilcotin's Ranch. We thought maybe they confused our group of 12 for a group of 30 at dinner the night before, but Breakfast proved that these folks simply like to eat! We were fed as though we were going on a 4 day backpacking trip and this would be the last meal we ate. I'm not complaining, anytime I can eat a whole pig-worth of bacon I'm game! Following breakfast, a quick tune and check over on the cars was completed before we departed.

"yup, looks like the engine is still there"

For the Sunday run, our group split up into two. The Mini and 356, which were sporting rather low clearance levels, chose to head out the way we came in. The rest of us were going to brave the Hurley River Pass road, a 4x4-only, summer access road which is not recommended for classic cars. How bad could it be!?! Warwick, the other photographer on the event, was in the Mini so that means most of the day's photos are without my bug.

First stop was the bustling gas station in the town of Bralorne...

And then off to check out some of the abandoned Gold Mines in the area.

With the sight-seeing done, we were off! Being the adventurous types, we agreed as a group that we shouldn't take the "main" Hurley River Road, but instead venture down the 20km Bralorne short-cut. It's essentially a Goat-Path through the woods in some sections...but we were all in rally cars. Well, everyone except Bruce and Greg in the lowered Volvo :P. To say I was driving gingerly on these rocks would be an understatement!

Once on the main Hurley we found the road to be wide, in good shape and relatively quick travel. I was averaging about 60kph, which allowed for dodging the odd hole or sump-tearing section of granite sticking out of the road.

The group made it through to the end, with only a minor exhaust pipe issue hampering the progress. After a couple of hours on the pass, we descended into the town of Pemberton and met up with the rest of the group.

It was a quick zip down the highway to Squamish, where we finished with the traditional (for me at least) Campfire Grill smoked BBQ.

-----

Upon arriving home, I took quick stock of the Bug. The interior is so dusty and dirty the passenger seat is looking brown. There is dirt and dust caked on the headliner, and the whole underside of the car still looks like I just went racing in the mud at that RallyX. The Great Canadian VW Show is this coming weekend, which means I need to get the car back to looking as close to "new" as possible. After a quick body wash, it was up on stands to clean the wheel wells and suspension.

I guess, like I have many times with this project, I got a little carried away next. Out came the creeper, and I scrubbed all the dirt and such off the bottom of the floor pan. I'm pretty sure my neighbours think I'm insane...washing the underside of my car in the driveway. The worst part is you can see I missed some spots, which means I'll be getting soaked again later today when I roll back underneath. Can't do a half-assed job, right?

While the car was in the air, I thought it was high-time I took care of the rather sad looking state of my rear fenders. The vinyl has been chipped through pretty good by the rocks, but at least it's protected the paint somewhat?

Well, peeling off the vinyl reveals that there is more damage then initially meets the eye. The passenger side was even worse, with large chucks coming out of the paintwork. Oops!

New vinyl covers most of the damage, in photos it looks fine but when the light hits it right you can see the divots underneath. At the end of the day though, one has to accept that fenders are replaceable, and this is a bloody race car not a show queen.

For the front fenders, I've always had a problem with the front right and where it meets the running board. In the following photo you can see the dark patch where I've had to cover the factory running board hole which didn't line up at all.

Both front fenders now sport a black vinyl treatment, which matches the rear and hides the error.

So now I have to deal with the front trunk, the interior, the engine bay and all the body lines and door jams. Oh, and a wax of the silver paint...and matte wax on the black to remove the watermarks which are impossible. yee haw.

-Dave

Last edited by owdlvr; August 21st 2012 at 03:48. Reason: Fixed Image Links
Old August 21st 2012, 03:13
Administrator

Got the inside stripped down, cleaned out and a fresh coat of paint laid down on any of the areas which needed it. Man that was dusty/dirty. Might have a problem with my seats for the weekend. I borrowed a friend's seats back in April for the studio shots, and was planning on borrowing them again for the Great Canadian Show. Well, it turns out they might not be available...so I'm off to my backup plan tomorrow. If that doesn't work out, I need a backup to the backup plan, and thus scrubbed my current seats like they've never been scrubbed before. Turns out, they are still black and I got most of the staining out! Now I just need to figure out how to cover/hide/fix the tears, and I have a useable back up plan. Too bad I forgot the "before" photo...

While the seats and battery were out, I started thinking about what I was going to do for a battery. My Optima got moved to the truck, and I've been using a Honduh battery for the last little while. It's small, light and fires the car up every time. Too bad it says Honda all over it. Wait, i own a vinyl machine! Bosch it is, in fact, lets make it a small german racing battery :P

Wheels are still off, night number two on Axle stands in my driveway.

-Dave
Old August 21st 2012, 08:11
Administrator

Looks like it was a fantastic event.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old August 21st 2012, 18:13

Hi

Beautiful scenery, the roads look well maintained.

Steve
Old August 22nd 2012, 11:03
Administrator

I'm not gonna lie, pulling the motor now is a complete %#!@%!!!. So many lines, extras, etc. and then every nut and bolt is caked with dry dirt so they don't spin by hand, you have to use a tool for the entire length of the threads.

The reason for pulling the motor is to make for easy cleaning, and to accomplish a few upgrades as well. As you can see, cleaning is definitely needed!

There is even dirt/mud inside the bell housing!

I started playing with Vibrant Performance's new heat shielding product...

...and finally protected the feed line to the pump from heat.

Fell asleep posting this at 4am, but engine is almost cleaned and ready to go in.

And the engine bay is looking much cleaner. Trans area is insanely dirty. Might have to accept defeat on that one...just no time left!

-Dave
Old August 22nd 2012, 22:57

Absolutely one of my all time favorite cars
Old August 23rd 2012, 12:43
Administrator

Wow. Thank you. Never thought I'd have someone say that about my car!

Well, this is what the car looked like at 1am last night, except the rear apron wasn't installed.

At 1:01am this turned into the motor-clean from hell, as I went to go rotate the motor to TDC so I could check the valve adjustments. Motor wouldn't turn, locked solid. WTH? E-brake, off. Trans, neutral. WTF. I was already pretty tired from the previous nights early morning, but with time running out before the show I had no choice. The motor was stripped, dropped and checked again. Once the motor checked out okay, I discovered someone hadn't tightened up the countersunk trans mount bolt enough when he adjusted the transmission mount. Sigh.

Back in when the motor, and the carbs, and the wiring, and the oil lines. Now I just need to adjust the valves, change the filter, prime the oil system, add the spark plug wires, swap the distributor and I'm good to move onto other parts of the three-page list.

Went to bed at 4:45am, considered staying up to watch the sunrise but the 3 hours sleep was probably a good idea.

-Dave
Old August 31st 2012, 23:33

Dave, It was nice talking to you at the GCVW show. I had no idea the car had been sooo dirty just before the show!! Great job!
Old September 10th 2012, 01:54
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.7911E View Post
Dave, It was nice talking to you at the GCVW show. I had no idea the car had been sooo dirty just before the show!! Great job!
Hahaha, yeah it was just a wee bit dirty just days before. I also did the final wash and polish in a car wash near the hotel at about 2:30am after the Drag racing night...but we'll get to that a little later down. In the meantime, help me out. Obviously you didn't introduce yourself as "7.2911E", so what was your name and when did we get to chat? (it was a very long, busy weekend for me...sorry, I'm terrible with names faces and would like to remember)

-----

Well, the night before the big Great Canadian VW show weekend was spent chasing down all the little details that still hadn't been finished about the car. Some of them were small, like actually installing the antenna plug instead of the spot of silver vinyl which had been covering the hole.

Other items, however, were a little more serious. As you can see, my seats are very tired and worn. I bought them used out of a National rally car, after it had been flipped upside down in a pond. That was 10 years ago...they've lived in my Audi 90 quattro rally car, the '69 beetle and now the Salzburg tribute. They've been my daily driven seats for about 8 of the last 10 years, so they're pretty tired.

The image above is after I used a full can of Upholstery cleaner on each seat, which helped greatly. Gone were the coffee stains, ground in dirt and other issues. But remaining were the tears. I called various rally buddies, but couldn't get a set of seats to borrow on short notice. Hmmmm...would iron-on patches work?

Surprisingly, yes they do. Sure, it's not perfect, but the tears are no longer screaming out to me like a flashing red-light.

The last step was to trade out my worn-out belts for a loaner set from the Rally shop. The flash here is playing with the colours pretty badly, but you'll just have to trust me when I say everything is a nice uniform black now. The astute viewers might be wondering why the FIA tags are missing...lets just say these belts were "well used" in a shell that no longer exists

The show weekend wasn't without it's problems for my car, however. I dropped it off the axle stands on Friday, to drive down to the drag racing night, and discovered I had no clutch. The clutch pedal worked, I had resistance, but it wasn't releasing the transmission from the engine. I couldn't get it into any gear from neutral. But if I shut the car off, put it in gear and started it with my foot on the clutch it would start and idle. With no obvious solution, and no time to fix it, I just drove the car down regardless.

I didn't run the car at the drag racing night, partially due to the clutch issue but more due to the fact that I drove down on my Pirelli gravels and didn't really want to destroy the tires on the strip. Not to mention the wheel/tire combo is pretty damned heavy. After the drags, when I went to leave, my leg was hit with burning metal as I turned on the headlights. WTF?

Three, yes three, fuses blew all at once. I had no tail lights, no brake lights and no dash lights. Sigh. With no light at the track to fix it, and no spare fuses, Geoff followed me to the hotel and made sure I wouldn't get hit on the highway. Once there I pulled the tail lights apart and discovered I had vibrated both bulb holders out of the back of the housings. That explained the lack of lights, but why the blown fuses? Eventually I discovered a fresh-air hose (which was aluminum) had shifted, been crushed by the hood hinge and was resting against the back of the fuse panel! Yikes.

Other then that, it was trouble free for the rest of the weekend. I never did determine what the problem was with the clutch. As the weekend progressed, the problem started going away and by the time I drove home it was perfectly fine. I've had the car up on stands, checked everything (without pulling the motor) and can't find any reason for the error. It's not good, but it's also not a problem I can diagnose at the moment.

The other day driving to Whistler I noticed the oil temp was running about 20deg higher then normal. Cycling through the various senders I also realized that the oil feeding into the engine was 30deg higher then the oil in the tank. That was definitely a bit odd, so I decided to investigate further.

In my efforts to increase the clearance between the oil lines and the ground, they now run far closer to the exhaust pipes, and my best guess is the feed lines are picking up a significant amount of heat from the exhaust:

Out came the exhaust wrap, and some aluminum shielding...

Today's drive to Vancouver had the oil temperatures back to normal, with all three sensors showing matched readings. Guess I found the problem :P

-Dave
Old September 16th 2012, 14:28

Hahaha, yeah it was just a wee bit dirty just days before. I also did the final wash and polish in a car wash near the hotel at about 2:30am after the Drag racing night...but we'll get to that a little later down. In the meantime, help me out. Obviously you didn't introduce yourself as "7.2911E", so what was your name and when did we get to chat? (it was a very long, busy weekend for me...sorry, I'm terrible with names faces and would like to remember)

I was with my brother-in-law in the orange turboed '68 from Calgary and was wanting to show him your wiring. heh heh I know it was pretty busy for you and I didn't really introduce myself. It was neat to talk to the owner/builder and see the car and I had only read about. Michael
Old September 16th 2012, 14:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by owdlvr View Post
I was with my brother-in-law in the orange turboed '68 from Calgary and was wanting to show him your wiring. heh heh I know it was pretty busy for you and I didn't really introduce myself. It was neat to talk to the owner/builder and see the car and I had only read about. Michael