GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old February 15th 2016, 00:20
Administrator

Saving me the trouble of reading back through your thread, are you able to answer any of the following:

1) Year of 901 transmission.
2) Model of Porsche the transmission came out of? (911, 912, etc)
3) Serial numbers and stampings on your transmission.
4) Photos of the following:
- Bellhousing, clutch fork and bearing installed.
- Bellhousing, clutch fork and bearing not installed.
- Clutch fork end, and your cable setup.
5) Part number on your clutch fork.

For now, before you pull the engine, reply with everything you're able to answer. Scour your photographs, and crawl under your trans for all the numbers and stampings. Basically, there are a number of different types of "901 transmission". There is the early aluminum case 901, there is the later magnesium cased 901 and then there is the 70-71 911 transmission which was based on the 901 but uses a pull-type clutch assembly. Basically, first step is sorting out which transmission you have. Then, the next is sorting out if that may have to do with your clutch issue.

HTH, or at least...hope it will!

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap
Old February 15th 2016, 04:21

There is a given with grinding gear selection, the driven plate is exactly that, it's being driven, it's rotating with the fly when it should be ' released' and not free, so you can't get gears, two common reasons are the input shaft ' gland nut' or equivalent bearing are missing or failed leaving the shaft waggling in the breeze, or the driven plate is to thick, measure thickness against a known working plate, this one is very common.
Also Sometimes the input shaft is too long causing the same effect, it produces noise as described and grinding gears, it may be bottoming on the crank when the motor bolts are synched down, easy fix with a grinder.
Old March 21st 2024, 19:08

Red face Better late than never?

Hey all, it's been awhile, but I've been slowly chipping away at the car pretty inconsistently. Quite a lot of updates to share. I finished painting the exterior, swapped out the fixed back seats (comfier for Dad), installed carpet, windows, and probably a bunch more I'm forgetting.

Paint: I actually paid someone locally to paint the remaining parts (Kerscher fenders, decklid, kamei spoiler, dash, etc). The sad part is that there was a paint mix up that was partially my fault and partially unprofessionalism. The paint ended up not matching and the painter basically wanted to charge me again, so I just did it myself.

Bad Paint

Here's some shots of me fixing the bad paint. Not only did it not match, but it had some significant pin holes and some terrible prep work (chipped fiberglass corners). This is only my second time really ever painting. I think it came out nicely, but feel free to give me some pointers.

First I figured out the issue with the paint. I had the painter use old paint and for some reason one can was not like the the others. I also was unable to match the existing paint by getting a new can of L96M mixed (even in the same brand).

Fixing pin holes

Primer and quick rinse

Smoothing out more crappy prep work

Rented a spray booth in town and got to business. Some of the parts had a lot of primer work to fix the mistakes so I first hit them with primer/surfacer (green). Then since I was still using the old paint I had, I sprayed the first base layer with a new can of L96M that doesn't match perfectly and followed with two layers of the old paint that matches.

Wear your safety equipment, auto paint is nasty. If I ever do it again or more often, I will definitely have a fresh air supply instead of an air filter. Google Isocyanates.

Little video link
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wu2eebEPb7CyEgU6A

First Coat

Clear Coat

Assembled Finally!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2MBHYfkbgr56bbyC8

I will eventually fab up a bracket to mount an earlier style bumper instead of the bulky plastic 1974 fenders. If you look at the front bumper, I mounted an earlier style with the integrated turn signals.

Old March 24th 2024, 03:48

Your car and paint looks great. I have a sugestion what to use for the rear bumper. I would use a front bumper like you have in the front but without the integrated turn signals. A front bumper fits nicer with your wider Kerscher rear fenders.
Old March 24th 2024, 17:42

Nice build! Where did you find that dashboard?
Old March 25th 2024, 01:18

The front bumper is a good thought! I have an older model rear bumper but the radius seems to be a bit to tight and it sticks out a bunch.

The dashboard is from a fiberglass VW shop in Arizona by me called Glass Action.

https://glass-action.com/index.php/p...Dash-p57160526

Here's a pic of it in the car.

And the new seats! Corbeau with the VW plaid.