GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old November 2nd 2009, 17:40

I know you never said it was a DD, I just wanted clarification on how driveable it is, off the track, seems its very much so...
Everyone told me its not a good idea to daily drive an aircooled bug. I agree, if the engine has a distributor and you use cheap engine parts... OR you have an early car without the decklid vents or you neglect to add an oil cooler with fan...
Old November 2nd 2009, 18:06

Ah, yes, its remarkably drivable: I can drive in 3rd gear 1100-1200 rpm and power on without hesitation.
That's a bit of EFI tuning as well though I must confess
Old November 2nd 2009, 18:40

I'm STILL getting together all my EFI bits, and I can't wait to get that kind of driveabillity, my dual kads are the suck... but they were always a stop gap solution until I got the EFI together...

I SO badly want to open the case up do some oil mods, and make the engine bigger...

You're car has always been one of my favorites!
Everyone told me its not a good idea to daily drive an aircooled bug. I agree, if the engine has a distributor and you use cheap engine parts... OR you have an early car without the decklid vents or you neglect to add an oil cooler with fan...
Old November 2nd 2009, 19:05

Sweet, 350hp.
Old November 15th 2009, 15:09

Just found again the dynorun with the old turbo at Budel, june 2009.

Small flames out the exhaust at 1:08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0PDByAqyjM
Old November 16th 2009, 07:46

Wicked, great work Wally you should be closer to Canada........
Old November 16th 2009, 12:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by big daddy View Post
Wicked, great work Wally you should be closer to Canada........
LOVE IT.... I'm with daddy
if you want a bigger one then you should put a Coil and a Spark plug in the tailpipe and hook it up you would get a HUGE flame lol

Chris.
07 Chevy 3500 Dually
Old November 17th 2009, 18:53

Love all your reactions!

Found a vid of a very fast dutch street-legal dragracer with an Opel Speedster, which I ran 'against' earlier this year. He runs with slicks in unlimited class. I am in a A/Street/Legal which require road legal threaded tires.

In the run of this vid got a little too much smoke from the burn-out....opened the roof, but 'your not allowed to run with open roof'... I know dude, but can't you see the smoke thats blinding me? Maybe thats not safe to run with either huh?
He had to laugh about it then as well fortunately
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uXUP...eature=channel

Last edited by Wally; November 17th 2009 at 19:15.
Old November 17th 2009, 19:38

nice
im sure u said some where already. but what tires are u running they seem to hook up well
Old November 19th 2009, 20:46

Wally, excuse me for asking, but do you by any chance, have a spare trigger wheel like the one that you are using? Or maybe can have one more of those made? I'll pay for it
Oh, and nice vids, btw!
Old November 20th 2009, 03:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwdreaming View Post
nice
im sure u said some where already. but what tires are u running they seem to hook up well
Its a semi-slick street/trackday tire in 245/35/18 size: Bridgestone SP Super Sport race, threadwear 60 (!), I really like them but they don't make those anymore.

Xellex: sorry, can't help you there..
Old December 11th 2009, 18:14

Something to handle the upgraded power a bit better (I hope) through the corners: 944 M030 25.5mm torsion bars:

Old December 14th 2009, 19:04

Wally, nice job!

I hope those 25.5s will be OK, because I also bought them for my project. I guess, I'm waiting for the update about how they changed Your Bug, meaning driving feeling!

Regarding Your performance, those numbers looks serious. I believe most of us trust Your opinion on turbocharged Type 4 engine subject (I do, because I don't know anybody else who made engine "from schratch" with totaly simple parts, plus modern tehnology like FI and Turbo to get serious numbers). I'm wondering only one thing:

Considering Your today's knowledge, experience and abilities, how much Your engine costs? Roughly. Is it 3000 euros, 5000 euros, or what? I really trust You on this one, because I was thinking about STI (sorry people) because it costs me 2500 euros, has 300 HP and 350+ Nm.

Thank You!

Best regards from chap who said hello on Spa Franchorchamps at Le bug show
Old December 15th 2009, 06:10

2500 euros won´t get you far on an aircooled motor.Depending on what you can do yourself and how good your existing parts are and if you have a complete motor,you may be able to build a longblock without the fan assembly and throttlebodies for that.Fan and throttlebodies can cost up to 1600 Euros alone, a proper engine Management like DTA or KMS will run you another 1000 euros without the wire bundle.Megasquirt is another option and will be a bit cheaper.Proper headwork is pricey if you don´t have the means to do it yourself.Then you have the turbo,wastegate,bov,intercooler,hoses,fittings,etc .it adds up quickly...
Old December 15th 2009, 08:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Turbobug View Post
2500 euros won´t get you far on an aircooled motor.Depending on what you can do yourself and how good your existing parts are and if you have a complete motor,you may be able to build a longblock without the fan assembly and throttlebodies for that.Fan and throttlebodies can cost up to 1600 Euros alone, a proper engine Management like DTA or KMS will run you another 1000 euros without the wire bundle.Megasquirt is another option and will be a bit cheaper.Proper headwork is pricey if you don´t have the means to do it yourself.Then you have the turbo,wastegate,bov,intercooler,hoses,fittings,etc .it adds up quickly...
This is the reason why I'm asking Wally to elaborate his engine. Because of price, I'm on the STI side, even if it is not old school. But Wally has some interesting cheap solutions that work well...