GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old November 25th 2010, 15:07

He has already built several customer 3.1 (105x88) and 3.2 (106x90) Liter type 4īs with his heads and Deutz cylinders,they seem to work very well together.IIRC they have replaced the JE cylinders he used before on all large type 4s.There are various Deutz cylinders available.Cooling has never been a problem with Deutz cylinders and they are by far the strongest aircooled cylinders available.A lot of maching is required to make them fit,but its worth it.The material gives off heat very well,much better than a stock cylinder.They are designed to work hours on end in the worst imaginable conditions in Industrial applications.The only negative thing I see is that they are very heavy,hard to machine and need a lot of maching to fit.The Remmele heads are cast aluminum.Yes,they are heavy because they were designed for large engines.But the cooling is excellent.They also have a lot of potential that hasnīt been unlocked yet imho.Eddyīs car is not a 1/4 mile car,though.I doubt if it turns low 11īs in street trim.He has 19" wheels on it and the car weighs about 850kg.Hood,decklid,fenders,runningboards are carbon fiber,the rest is stock steel.The transmission is a out of the old 911 carerra 2.7 RSR with the magnesium case.
Old November 25th 2010, 16:50

Very cool to hear Mark! Thats very unexpected as one would assume that alu cylinders would be the very least that would work with such a large engine and those heads.
I agree, his heads and the ports are so large that only a really big engine would fully show their potential.
850kg is very lightweight! All the carbon does work in the end huh?
Thanks for the insight!
Old November 26th 2010, 04:11

I think he worths every penny.
BMW E30 318i CONVERTIBLE 1992
Italian Toys - GERMAN WAR MACHINES
WRC is for boys - GROUP B WAS FOR MEN

Last edited by TSAF; November 26th 2010 at 13:11.
Old November 29th 2010, 06:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSAF View Post
I think he worths every penny.
Me too and he is not more expensive than his competitors either, contrary to popular belief.Thatīs why I have him do all my machining and buy almost all my engine parts aswell as suspension and carbon fiber parts from him.Granted,he is hard to get a hold of and the wait is usually longer than others but the quality speaks for itself - at least I never had a problem and donīt mind the wait because I get exactly what I want,often better than I expected.The only other "negative" thing I admit is he does not ship to the USA anymore.There are many companies that do not ship outside the USA either,though..

@Wally. Yes,the carbonfiber does pay off.My Fenders are epoxy and almost as light as the carbonfiber ones.Although, I thought his doors were also CF,but they are stock. You should make the drive to his shop sometime.Let me know and I will meet you there.
Old November 29th 2010, 09:23

Oh, but I have been at his shop a few years ago, whilst on holiday. I even made a topic about it with pics and all. There was even a special plenum he had cast for his heads and cooling system. Pity I never saw that again.
I am just so surprised that amongst all the other custom parts he makes, he does not have (made) or use alu-nikasil cylinders
Old November 29th 2010, 09:43

Wally, do you know these guys?

http://www.lnengineering.com/custom.html

Maybe they can help you out.
Old November 29th 2010, 10:16

I think you misunderstood me a little
My question is: Why doesn't Eddy use alu-nikasil for HIS build engines? All I hear and see is he uses cast iron cylinders...which is not the way forward imo. It may work well in some applications, but even then, alu-nikasil would have worked even better. Why doesn't he use it or, considering everything else he seems to custom make, why hasn't he developed his own alu-nikasil cylinders??

Personally I know rather well where to get stuff, don't worry 'bout that
Old November 29th 2010, 10:26

I am sure he knows something that we don't. He must have his reasons, thats for sure.
Old November 29th 2010, 10:45

Well, he's not God and Porsche showed what type of cylinder was/is preferable in a boxer aircooled engines, so I was wondering what reasons remain...
Old November 29th 2010, 10:57

Maybe he does not have the knowledge or the equipment for nikasils? Who knows?
Old November 29th 2010, 11:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
The only application a Pauter cased engine would make sense imho is on the drag strip in a blown application above 750hp.the torque he gets with his 3,1 ltr can easily be matched or exceeded with a type 4.
Don Pauter has been responding to questions about the road worthy-ness of his 3ltr KG on a couple of US forums for years, if you search you'll find it's been regularly driven on the street since 05'. Since being built as a rolling test bed he also often lets his friends and family members take it just to rack up the milage, I've been along myself on a numberous trips where refueling was needed for the return home, regular unleaded btw. True while in it's current state it's power may be matched by a well engineered type 4 but how easily, reliablly or cost effectively would be questionable, neither could be considered an entry level program. Seems to me someone with enough knowledge of a large 3ltr+ displaced air cooled engine program would certainly recognize the advantages of a readily available, over the counter roller cammed, flanged cranked, Detroit bearing based engine block.
Old November 29th 2010, 11:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSAF View Post
Maybe he does not have the knowledge or the equipment for nikasils? Who knows?
I don't think that should be a problem for him as he outsources his machinework and custom casting jobs already. He has birals made as well at some point and that seems equally complicated..
I dunno.
Old November 30th 2010, 05:14

Quote:
I am just so surprised that amongst all the other custom parts he makes, he does not have (made) or use alu-nikasil cylinders
He has developed his own alu-nicasil cylinders about 10 years ago and still has them in his program,theyīre on his website also.They have very thick walls and start with a 100mm bore.The reason he doesnīt use them with his big heads, and I did ask him when I had the "Alusil" cylinders in my hand is simple: A.) they cost a lot to make. B.) he has never had cooling or sealing issues with the much cheaper and stronger Deutz cylinders.In his opinion,the temperature problems do not result frrom the cylinders,but from the heads.He simply hasnīt had the need to use the Alusil (as he calls them) cylinders when his head temps are 160° C on the street.Heads,exhaust,tuning and of course a proper fan shroud is more important according to to him.

@Don m: Don Pauterīs 3 liter motor is impressive and I know itīs been in his Ghia since 2005 as a daily driver.The question is,however,how would it hold up on the european autobahns where the average speed is much higher than in the states? Here we have an overall average of about 130Km/h (80mph) ,sometimes full throttle of 130+mph for for 5 or 10 minutes regularly.Iīm not doubting Don Pauters ability or his quality,but that engine is made for a differe3nt market, like the typical daily driver and weekend 1/4 mile racer.
Old November 30th 2010, 06:08

Exclamation

@Don m: Don Pauterīs 3 liter motor is impressive and I know itīs been in his Ghia since 2005 as a daily driver.The question is,however,how would it hold up on the european autobahns where the average speed is much higher than in the states? Here we have an overall average of about 130Km/h (80mph) ,sometimes full throttle of 130+mph for for 5 or 10 minutes regularly.Iīm not doubting Don Pauters ability or his quality,but that engine is made for a differe3nt market, like the typical daily driver and weekend 1/4 mile racer.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree, DIFFERENT MARKET, DIFFERENT USE. Anyway
there is another rumor going on though. Another strong builder JP from Sweden. He has done IMPRESSIVE STUFF to say at least with type i engines. The new rumor is that he will start building parts for type iv engines as well. If that happens we will see great parts coming up for serious performance addicts.
Old November 30th 2010, 09:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Turbobug View Post
He has developed his own alu-nicasil cylinders about 10 years ago and still has them in his program,theyīre on his website also.They have very thick walls and start with a 100mm bore.The reason he doesnīt use them with his big heads, and I did ask him when I had the "Alusil" cylinders in my hand is simple: A.) they cost a lot to make. B.) he has never had cooling or sealing issues with the much cheaper and stronger Deutz cylinders.In his opinion,the temperature problems do not result frrom the cylinders,but from the heads.He simply hasnīt had the need to use the Alusil (as he calls them) cylinders when his head temps are 160° C on the street.Heads,exhaust,tuning and of course a proper fan shroud is more important according to to him.
I am of the impression that the Remmele T1-T4 heads actually run hotter then stock heads as a friend of mine has one of his Remmele 2,8ltr engines with those heads and I saw CHT running onwards to nearly 600F (under the spark plug) when he stepped on it on the street for a relatively short moment.
My assumption (but you knwowhat they say about ASSumptions ) is that those heads also CAN run hotter without much problems because they are so strong/stiff. Its just not that good for tuning imo. Alu cylinders would be able to take some heat away from the heads, especially those solid cast heads would benefit imo.
So the cylinders are indeed not a heat problem in itself, but can help solve the heat problem of the heads...

Also nikasil coating would minimize the friction heat and losses. Its always better solution therefore imho to run alu-nikasil on such an engine and usually worth the cost when you compare total cost of a Remmele engine.
BTW: Alusil is NOT the same as alu with a nikasil coating!! Alusil is what the old 944/928 engines used as block and liner material. MB used it too. Nikasil is better, but a tiny bit more expensive than alusil. Well worth the extra effort imo and so did porsche.

Just my 2 cents..

Last edited by Wally; November 30th 2010 at 09:21.