GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old March 29th 2011, 01:31

I do trust it still even after I had one fail. Nearly all the 944 series racers use those bolts and if the car is setup correctly, they don't fail even in single shear. It's a very beefy bolt made from tool steel and mine took a hell of a beating (full race day, 3 dyno trips, nearly 800 miles of bottoming out) before I broke it.
Old March 29th 2011, 01:34

looking great humble.... can't wait to See it in paint
are you looking at doing any front lip or splitter or anything under the body to Smooth out the air flow....

Chris.
07 Chevy 3500 Dually
Old March 29th 2011, 12:59

yeah, bumper and splitter are next but require warmer drier weather. I've got plans for a wood/fiberglass consumable splitter (if you're not going through splitters you're not driving hard enough) and fiberglass reinforcing the front airdam. Those will be painted to make the car once they're finished. I thought about doing a rear diffuser tray but we'll see how everything else goes. I'm also working on new running board/side skirts designs which will probably be thin aluminum.

In the wings, are a new datalogging system w/ gps, new digital dash from aim or race-technologies, autox/sprint slicks, water/air intercooler and upgrading the ecu to ms3x.
Old April 17th 2011, 20:21

Paint!

Doesn't make the car any faster but she's a damn sight easier on the eyes Just got back for the Kelley Park Spring Meet and snapped these off while I was there.

Old April 17th 2011, 20:45

WOW! Thats a big change for the eyes. Looks great!

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Old April 17th 2011, 20:55

WOW! humble
looks great... and much easier on the eyes

Chris.
07 Chevy 3500 Dually
Old April 18th 2011, 02:33

Looking good! Very dedicated.
How is the wing attached?
Old April 18th 2011, 04:14

car looks good. be carfull with how you have that rear wing mounted. thats how i mounted mine on the race car. i had to brace the panel up as it was bending with the forces of the wing. after a while it had got very weak and would flex all over the place as the spot welds started brakeing. i noticed it after a run up the strip and the rear wing had moved about 3 inchs after the vent panel had bent.
Old April 18th 2011, 09:09

Nice build! Love the wheels too!
Old April 18th 2011, 12:28

Here's another pic I forgot to add last night. This was the odometer reading sunday morning

The wing is attached through the vent panel but anchors above and below the vents on the curved body work. I've been able to hang on the wing (I'm 230lbs.) without deforming the body work so I think it's pretty strong. The primary function of the wing is to reduce lift not provide additional down force. Similar, but nicer, wing designs provide up to 1100 lbs. down force at 100mph, but the beetle shape creates almost 1000lbs of lift at the rear axle at the same speed so it's almost a wash.
Old April 24th 2011, 19:01

Did some minor work this weekend painting the trim satin black and got it on the car. It's a minor thing but does make a difference it the way it looks in helping to break up the yellow.

I've had something of a nagging problem for a while but I'm going to had to dal with it sooner than later. Due to the bad location of the wastegate on the cb hide away turbo header (on the #2 primary) it has a bit of a boost creep problem. I thought I could deal with it by setting the wastegate low to 17psi and the most it had ever got to was 25psi (which is still a lot) but I could tune for that. Well I was demonstrating to a friend at the Kelley Park show the benefits of a memory boost gauge and I saw this...

A hair over 30psi is nearly double the wastegate setting so I think it's time for a new turbo header. I've got a couple of shops to go to for this and I might bite the bullet and go for a twin scroll header while I'm at it.
Old April 25th 2011, 02:33

The trim does indeed look good!

I think a front bumper might look even better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble View Post
I've had something of a nagging problem for a while but I'm going to had to deal with it sooner than later. Due to the bad location of the wastegate on the cb hide away turbo header (on the #2 primary) it has a bit of a boost creep problem.
We all agree the waste gate location on the CB header could be better, but I never thought it could give that much boost creep. Sure the wastegate isn't too small and/or not working properly?

2 bar boost! Wow! I did experience this once or twice as well due to operator error (me) and I am always amazed our engines can stand that much cylinder pressure.
Gives confidance too otoh
Good idea on the twin-scroll header, but you'd knew I was gonna say that huh? Do you have a turbo/turbine to suit for that already?
Old April 25th 2011, 11:34

The wastegate is working fine but it may not be big enough as well as being in a bad spot. :P I've gone to extra lengths to make sure the motor can handle the pressure. There are drag bugs currently using a nearly identical setup on race gas and 40+psi so I know it can hold the pressure briefly at least. For TS turbos I've been looking at a slightly smaller borg warner than the one you are using or a similarly sized garret GTX.

As for the front bumper, it's coming together but I need some nice weekend weather to really get some work done. I need to do a lot of fiberglass work on the splitter and the airdam to get them race ready.
Old April 25th 2011, 13:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble View Post
For TS turbos I've been looking at a slightly smaller borg warner than the one you are using or a similarly sized garret GTX.
Good thinking! Carefull with the Garretts, as besides the (even bigger) GT4088R, all the smaller then 40R Garretts are not specifically designed for twin scroll imho.
Also, if your looking at anything smaller then a T4 turbine section/foot print, I wouldn't bother with TS either, but thats just me.
Old May 9th 2011, 17:54

Had an autox on sat with the Triumph Travelers called Brutes & Beauts. This was the 2nd year they put it on and it gained a good number of cars. This wasn't a points event, more of a show and shine with an autox mainly geared toward classics but all are welcome.

I have most of a video I'll upload later. Stupid me forgot to clear the SD card and it filled up right before I hit the finish on my first run. I'm still sorting the car out since I only have a couple of events on it since it was put together but it was fun none the less. The rear suspension is a bit softer than I imagined it would be, I'm going to add a couple clicks to the rear dampers and see if it helps. I was easily carrying the inside front out of turns and I could feel it through the steering wheel. According to a couple spectators I was lifting both front wheels on my 1-2 shift under boost sadly I don't have any video of this.

Here's the only pic I have from the event so far and I'll add more if they come up.

The next big event is this coming sunday at DeAnza college for the annual Duel at DeAnza. I've been wanting to run the bug there for a while and it should be fun!