GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old January 3rd 2007, 18:32

Garage Heater?

My garage is fully insulated and now has a small supply of electricity, any recomendations on heating this thing? I could also run gas out there if that's the way to go, just don't want to spend all the extra $ on pipes when I won't be in there every day.

I'm thinking somthing with a thermostat so I can turn it on and it will just maintain a decent temperature, but I don't know what brands or types/styles of heaters are most efficient or good cost/benefit ratio.

I'd like to get cracking again on my baby, and I'm a wimp these days. When I built my bug the first time, I was 16, and I could see my breath many times working on it, so it's kinda been there, done that!

Thanks,

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old January 3rd 2007, 19:37

You need a heater in California ??

Anyway, DONT get one of those propane tube heaters that you see in construction. I bought one and regret it.
Although they work really well, they are super noisy and the smell gives me a major headache.

I was over at a buddy the other day and he had one of those kerosene heaters.
That one seemed to work pretty well.

Rob.
Old January 3rd 2007, 21:51

hehe you need a heats in SO cal lol that's funny
and here I am wearing Shorts in Canada in Jan

ok now I have an electric heats and it's great I love it

Chris.
07 Chevy 3500 Dually
Old January 3rd 2007, 22:15

High of 13 by the end of the week.
(Sorry to hijack the post)

Here's what i use:

Works well, and i keep a door cracked for fresh air. Runs off the BBQ tank.
Old January 4th 2007, 00:58

I'm a little worried about the gas stuff. If it burns, it needs oxygen, and cracking a window or door seem kinda counterproductive to keeping the heat in. That said, I don't know how much heat costs per therm I guess for electric vs gas/propane.

Oh, its Nor Cal to, much colder here! There was ice on the water outside my house a couple of days ago.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old January 4th 2007, 02:07

I have a radiant heater that works pretty well in the garage. Actually I have two. I have a half dozen metal strips screwed to the ceiling and magnets on the heater so I move it around to the area I need the heat.

Old January 4th 2007, 04:58

I use a freestanding electric heater, just put it on an hour or so before I go out and it gets the temperature above freezing , just wear more clothes!

Rich
Old January 4th 2007, 11:15

I went natural gas. A lot of shop to heat and planning something permanent for the long haul.
Have the same reservations about propane and kerosene but have worked in plenty of new construction where that was all we had and never was a problem. The catch is, that stuffs expensive. One or two nights every couple weeks is no biggie but if you were running it a whole weekend... the up side is you can run it for about an hour before you go out, prolly wont have to turn it on again that night.
I like the electric ones BB has. They do draw some juice though and how many outlets/much service do you have going to shop?

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old January 4th 2007, 19:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullyboy View Post
Got one of those above my bench, love it. All the tools parts you are working underneath on stay warm!
Old January 4th 2007, 19:34

I have a radiant tube natural gas heater (same type a lot of warehouses, shops use).

No open flame to worry about plus it heats the floor slab, not the air, so the temperature is much more evenly distributed.

Mine is an 8ft one which is installed in a 24 x 26 garage and is vented out the side wall of the garage.

I had a horizontal flow natural gas furnace (80,000 BTU) in my old garage and while it kept the space warm(+10 C or so), the floor was always so cold you could see your breath when you had to work under the car and your feet were always cold.

Electric is OK, but you really don't get a lot of heat out of a 110 volt outlet. BV’s is available from Lee Valley Tools, which looks to be a good unit. I think regular outlets are rated for only 1500 watts of power, so if you plug in your heater and then a power tool or something, you end up popping breakers. Plus, electricity is much more $$ per BTU than gas is (or used to be, I haven't priced it out lately though)

Of course, we are talking Canadian Climate, so your needs may vary depending how cold it gets where you live.

Cheers,

Doug
Old January 6th 2007, 02:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie S View Post
I have a radiant tube natural gas heater (same type a lot of warehouses, shops use).

No open flame to worry about plus it heats the floor slab, not the air, so the temperature is much more evenly distributed.

Mine is an 8ft one which is installed in a 24 x 26 garage and is vented out the side wall of the garage.

I had a horizontal flow natural gas furnace (80,000 BTU) in my old garage and while it kept the space warm(+10 C or so), the floor was always so cold you could see your breath when you had to work under the car and your feet were always cold.

Electric is OK, but you really don't get a lot of heat out of a 110 volt outlet. BV’s is available from Lee Valley Tools, which looks to be a good unit. I think regular outlets are rated for only 1500 watts of power, so if you plug in your heater and then a power tool or something, you end up popping breakers. Plus, electricity is much more $$ per BTU than gas is (or used to be, I haven't priced it out lately though)

Of course, we are talking Canadian Climate, so your needs may vary depending how cold it gets where you live.

Cheers,

Doug
Now you tell me! After I've already poured my pad!

Well, I was at Costco, and they have those focused beam electric heaters. It was $60 so I got one. I'll try it out, see if it does the trick. What is nice is you can actually aim it to where you're working, and it heats the air everywhere too on thermostat.

I really like the looks of those electric ones you guys have pointed out, might be a way to go, but the cost of electricity may be an issue. I've been thinking of running natural gas that way, it may be the way to go for the long run. Anyone have some suggestions for natural gas heater style/type/brand?
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old January 8th 2007, 12:16

volkdent,

It all depends upon how much heat (BTU's) you need. (How warm you want it in your Shop and how cold it gets outside)

And of course, how deep your pockets are...

The tube heaters (gas or electric) are the most expensive option for equipment, but have the least operating costs.

The unit heaters (the little ones hanging from the ceiling and sit in the corner) are a lot cheaper, but use more gas to heat the space.

Anything electric is the most economical for the equipment, but you pay a premium for the electricity.

I would talk it over with a furnace supplier / installer in your area. I'm sure they can provide you with a better recommendation that I can from the forums.

Doug

PS: When I re-poured my garage pad at my old house, I installed tubing in the floor to provide heat, but never got around to hooking it up... Oh well
Old January 8th 2007, 23:53

Better hurry.. Wednesday night its supposed to be 45 with a low of ....26!!

p.s. this is all in farenheit which is pretty darn cold for nor cal in case you east coast or overseas folks are stuck in the single digits
Old January 10th 2007, 08:59

I have two diesel/petrolium heaters (normally used to warm barns). They gave TOOOO much heat and leave an verry smelly air (where you don't want to stand too long in).
For the next barn I will use an wood kiln, it's cheap and verry functional (an friend of my use it) or an gasheater (that;s hanging on the wall).

Wiebrand
Old January 10th 2007, 11:48

Hi

We dont get much call for heaters down here but my garage has got down to 9 deg celcius, I usually turn on a single bar heater a bit before going into the garage.

At VW shop I used to work at we used a sump oil heater, it stunk a bit on start up & shut down but just used our waste oil which was free, it was also handy for heating up the crankshaft timing gears before fitting them.

Steve