GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old November 18th 2005, 02:10

Scooby - keep us up to date . I , for one , want to see whats going into one of these conversions . I want to know whats in store for me when I finally get to do this (don't forget , I am doing a custom frame , for strength and ease of the modifications I have planned)
Old November 18th 2005, 14:04

I got my adaptor ordered from KEP.

I'm about to order a boost guage, what's the differance between a Vac./boost, and a Boost? Which would I need?
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...
Old November 18th 2005, 14:12

vac and boost are used on turbos, and just boost is used on supercharger setups. you want vac and boost for sure.
Old December 17th 2005, 14:24

Hey Rob - I checked out your pics . Pretty cool . I do have one question . I see you had to notch the rear fenders to clear the timing belt cover . I also see that ground clearance is quite low under the pan . I was thinking that when I do a custom frame , I could lower the trans mounts by an inch or two to clear the fender . What do you think about this idea?
Old December 17th 2005, 15:19

Hey Axl,

Yup, that's a great idea.
Only *after* I had mounted the motor I found out that you can move the tranny a bit forward by flipping the tranny mount (you'll also have to modify the shiftrod mind you).
It also depends on the motor you use. This is a DOHC EJ2.5.
If you use a SOHC, or a 2.0, you'll have a better chance of not having to cut the fenders.

As to the ground clearance, with the small wheels I have (15"), I can forget about lowering the car at this point.
There are kits to raise the transmission as well (aircooled.net) so that might also be something I'll be looking at. There are also some very nice shortened oilpans available from Bug at 5 speed (I *think* that's the right name, check this board, there is a whole thread about them).

If you are building a custom frame, then you have many options. I would certainly look at incorporating the original motor mounts, or check with the Subaru-vanagon guys on some of the motormounts they are using.

Good luck with the project and keep us posted !

Rob.
Old December 17th 2005, 15:59

Thought I'd chip in
As Rob says, if you reverse the rear cradle it will push the engine/trans forwards about 2" and you won't have to cut the fenders. You will have to cut off the front mount and either relocate it or just use a berg style mid mount. Obviously, you can only do this if you are running IRS. You can shorten the oil pan about 30mm and still top up with the stock oil volume as the crank is way above the sump. Any more and the oil filter and exhaust manifold are just as low so there's no point.

With a custom frame, I would push the engine forwards and up as much as you are happy with, the limiting factor being the CVs you are using. This is what I will be doing shortly with my G50/WRX in my 1303 cabrio.

Rich
Old December 18th 2005, 22:26

Being that it will be about two years , give or take , before I actually do anything (I am relocating in 1 1/2 years from Alberta , Canada to Indiana in the U.S. , so no sense staring before) , I am planning out EXACTLY what I want to do so when the actual work begins , I hopefully won't have too many problems . I also plan on using a 5-speed tranny , most likely a Porsche unit , which may effect the location . All of this , though , is giving lots of great ideas , as I want the cat to look reletively stock from the outside (no sheetmetal mods) . Axl .
Old December 21st 2005, 03:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl
Being that it will be about two years , give or take , before I actually do anything (I am relocating in 1 1/2 years from Alberta , Canada to Indiana in the U.S. , so no sense staring before) , I am planning out EXACTLY what I want to do so when the actual work begins , I hopefully won't have too many problems . I also plan on using a 5-speed tranny , most likely a Porsche unit , which may effect the location . All of this , though , is giving lots of great ideas , as I want the cat to look reletively stock from the outside (no sheetmetal mods) . Axl .
You're a smart man! Let everyone else make the mistakes and then do it perfectly! I think that good long term planning will make the best outcome almost every time!

Scooby, post some pics for us!

Who's the moderator here? These kinds of topics should be edited and put under a sticky so that people don't have to keep coming in and asking questions that have already been answered. An edited post with lots of pics would be really helpful to all who are interested in this conversion.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old December 22nd 2005, 11:31

hi everyone

Hey everyone, kind of a weird place for a first post, but I know subynotch from nasioc, and was directed here by zen.

anyway, I've got a 1967 porsche 912 that I'm running an EJ18 (1.8L NA).

I can shed some light on some of the questions asked (and will do so in post 2)

I've started a subaru conversion specific site www.porscharu.com that has nothing there yet, but will eventually. I'm still setting up the forums section so come check it out if you like. www.porscharu.com/forum

sjd
Old December 22nd 2005, 23:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkdent
You're a smart man! Let everyone else make the mistakes and then do it perfectly! I think that good long term planning will make the best outcome almost every time!

Jason
I am a mechanic in a GM dealership - the way we work there is , if someone figures out a new way to do something , it gets spread around to everyone , so we all can benefit from it . That's how I am approaching this , as well .
Old December 27th 2005, 01:50

I wish the moderators would make stickies out of good threads, like a suby conversion sticky, wheel offset sticky, porsche brakes sticky, so everyone can just get all the info quickly instead of having to search all over the place.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old January 6th 2006, 14:51

It looks like I'll be joining the Suby swap club in the near future as well!

I've been toying with the idea of swapping a USDM EJ20 in to my '00 RS for a while, but I want to do something with my '71 Super. After reading through this thread it hit me like a duffle bag full of bricks, "Swap the EJ20 into the RS, then take my EJ25 and put it in my bug!"

I'm going to spice my EJ25 up via TechWorks Engineering bits. Or maybe I'll go all out and do something like- http://zzyzxmotorsports.com/news/300hpna
Old January 10th 2006, 09:47

also check out outback motorsports...they do lots of sandrail stuff. I have never dealt with them, so I don't know anything about their service.

www.outbackmotors.com

sjd
Old January 10th 2006, 15:55

ive been to outback's shop, they have a really awesome setup. They have alot of bits that are useful in the conversion. They told me about a conversion they were paid to do for a customer, in a bug.

They are a great supply for all the little bits for these engines.
Old January 28th 2006, 16:41

Hey , I was in another thread on transaxles , and came across some posts that raised some questions that maybe some one out there can answer . I saw a 2.5L SOHC turbo engine in a bug , and was curious about the HP difference from the 2.0L DOHC turbo engine . How hard is it to bump up HP and still have a strong , reliable engine ? I would like to approach the 400HP mark and still be fairly reliable , or am I just living in a fantasy world with that ? This car is going to be more or less a streeter , with some time at the strip (if my wife will let me!) , so is it better to keep closer to stock HP outout ? Am I asking too many stupid questions ? Enquiring minds want to know! Axl .
Any and all help is appreciated!