GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old July 1st 2006, 08:53

Tuner lugs?

I am about to purchase some 4x100 17" wheels for my Super Beetle and in the description it says it requires tuner lugs. Does anyone Know where I can get some bolts that will work with my 4X100 front discs and rear rotors?
Old July 2nd 2006, 08:58

I use McGuard. I think they make lugs for all possible applications. I don't remember who I ordered them through but they are widely available.
Old July 3rd 2006, 06:49

Thanks for the help!
Old July 7th 2006, 14:52

I make no promises, but I think by "tuner lugs" they just mean the smaller sized lug nuts. Any shop that sells aftermarket rims should be able to hook you up with some. I haven't gotten to that point with my bug yet but when I put some Motegi Trak Lites on my Mazda, I needed them. The smaller lugs needed a special key instead of just a socket. For added security I got a set of 4 (1 for each wheel) "locking" ones too. They used a different key so a crook would pretty much have to cut the wheels off since they aren't likely to have both keys with them.
Steve
Old July 8th 2006, 07:14

The nice thing about McGuard's is they come in different lengths, different thread sizes, and (I don't know the proper term anymore) different "shapes" to fit. They are the same brand that came on my wife's Golf and on my Cabrio for their factory alloys. This was an added plus for me since I am using VW-spec BBS wheels on my Super and had extra long studs applied when I ordered my brakes. The locking system is easy to use and difficult to counterfeit.

I am sure there are other nice brands, though. I got the longer ones at first. When I saw I needed spacers, the longer ones were no longer suitable. They were easy to exchange.
Old July 9th 2006, 20:26

I just purchased some 17" Enkei RS6 rims on ebay (kind of a last minute impulse buy). I thought they had a 5x100/5x114.3 bolt patern but it turns out it has a 5x108/5x115. My question is where can I get my front disc and rear drums drilled? Kinda lookin for some place reasonably priced with a quick return time. I was gonna have Vdub engineering do it, but I dont want to ship my stuff to Canada.

Last edited by 69veedub; July 9th 2006 at 20:29. Reason: spelling
Old July 10th 2006, 09:23

If you are located in California, try TopLine.
Old July 20th 2006, 19:25

Brakes

68Veedub
If you haven't done anything yet give Lanner at VDub a call, I got my Audi TT brake setup from him. I like the way the TT rotors fill the inside of the wheels (mine are 17x7). He can make billet hubs in just about any bolt pattern and you won't have to send your stuff to him. Other than that I've heard good stuff about Topline. You might want to try Pete at AirKweld also, I got my rear setup from him. Both sets were easy to install and top quality.
Stan
Old July 27th 2006, 02:24

Gorilla makes tuner lug nuts, they are also known as "SD" or small diameter, because the holes on 'tuner' wheels have a "small diameter" lug hole
The gorilla lugs all take the same key, which kind of sucks for security...(any locks can be broken off with simple tools also )there are other brands that are the same small diameter but the key/splines are a different size. Shop around there are lots of options.
Old July 27th 2006, 15:44

I got some 17" Enkei RS6's with 12mm x 1.5 Gorilla tuner lugs. I am not to worried about theft, so that really isn't an issue.
Does anyone know what size holes are required for 12mm wheel studs to be pressed in? I would like to have as much info as possible, before turning my rotors over to a machine shop.