GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old October 18th 2009, 09:48

Turbo Timers?

Anyone using them on their aircooled? Im buttoning up my 1914 turbo build and was just curious if I was the only one in here that felt that it would benefit from it..
Old October 18th 2009, 18:44

Hi

I find a better idea is to drive off boost for a few ks before shutdown.

Steve
Old October 18th 2009, 18:50

I could see that, but I have no self control so I put it in there to save me from myself..
Old October 18th 2009, 20:53

Hi

They are also an easy place for criminals to bridge the wiring and steal the car, not that its hard to bridge wiring on VW anyway.

I have self control when approaching home, what's the saying " don't sh%$# in your own nest" or keep the neighbours off your back, the rest of my driving I know what you mean.

Steve
Old October 19th 2009, 19:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Hi

They are also an easy place for criminals to bridge the wiring and steal the car, not that its hard to bridge wiring on VW anyway.

I have self control when approaching home, what's the saying " don't sh%$# in your own nest" or keep the neighbours off your back, the rest of my driving I know what you mean.

Steve
You do indeed have some valid points.. But this car doesnt really spend alot of time parked in places with lax security.. I live on a military base and I work on a military base.. So Im not too worried about someone jacking it while Im sleeping or something.. And though I wont really be able to get into boost for about five minutes while driving through my neighborhood, I dont mind the extra protection it offers.. Ive ran them on every turbo car I have owned. Not to mention, its nice to have at autocross to warm up and cool down the car before and after runs.

So I guess Im the only one that feels they are beneficial?
Old October 19th 2009, 20:21

turbo timers SAVE turbos for thoes hott shut downs. im building a turbo'd type4 motor and i do as well plan on putting one on my car as well.

ill just say this..... if someone is gonna steal your car, THEY WILL STEAL YOUR CAR, yes i can see how a turbo timer can make stealing it that much eaiser, but it bugs me when the question was about "turbo timers", not how turbo timers will increase theft of your car.... i love this site, but seeing that just reminds me of the ol Samba fourms! just my two cents on this post!
Old October 19th 2009, 20:45

I think he was more just giving a point on why he doesnt want to have one in his car more than anything..
Old October 20th 2009, 06:21

Hi

Please don't compare me to some the 16 year olds on Samba that have opinions with no experience LOL

Besides not feeling that I need one, the Nana state that I live in has banned them.

Ive owned a factory turbo Audi and my old 1302 had turbo 2.1 litre WBX, neither had turbo timers, neither had a motor or turbo self destruct from the lack of a turbo timer.

I can see where they might be useful in cool down after a race etc, but I would rather be sitting in the car watching temperature and pressures readings after a race, so if your in the car keeping an eye on things you may as well turn it off when you feel its appropriate, the timer would be helpful with the actual timing of the shutdown though.

Steve
Old October 20th 2009, 11:11

wow i didnt know a state could BAN turbo timers! LOL. and im sorry about comparing you to 16 yr olds on the samba. i just simply stated that it reminded me of the samba when i read this post.

ive had two friends both with big turbo vws, one being a big turbo VR6, and the other a built 1.8T, and both within a month or two of driving them they both had their turbos goto ****. i not sure if it was because of hot shut down or not, but they are younger guys and would be runnin the cars hard then just shut them off not even caring about oil bake in the baring of the turbo, but now they both know after they both had to spend $1200 on new turbos. lol.