GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Brakes

Old January 8th 2007, 23:46

front brakes

OK the wheels Im looking into have and offset of +40-45mm and I am curious about the frontend. I have a 72 Standard bug. I was wondering if I could stay with drums front an rear with 15 or 16" wheels with a 6.5-7" width ( im not really a fan of fiberglass fenders) the rear should be fine though. The motor is going to be basically stock (for now anyways, it will be a 1915cc one day though), my question is would disc brakes up front make my frontend stick to far out my fenders or even up to the fenders?THe disc brake kit i seen was in cip1 and Im not sure if I would need them or not....i didnt know if this was asked before on not, i searched but all i could get was porsche brakes...
Old January 9th 2007, 09:09

Ive heard that the kits on CIP doesn't make it any wider. But if so you can always narrow the beam a little.
Old January 9th 2007, 22:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECBug View Post
Ive heard that the kits on CIP doesn't make it any wider. But if so you can always narrow the beam a little.
cool, for the frontend, with the disc brakes could i use a rim with a 38mm offset or do i still need the 40mm-55mm offset for front also, even with disc brakes and drop spindles, sine they do change the offset too.
Old January 11th 2007, 19:26

With 7et42 wheels, you will have no problems in the back (drums).

In the front, with drums you will have to narrow the beam 2". With dropped spindles and disks, you may be able to get away with the 2" beam, but I'd do a 3" beam to be sure. It definately will not fit with a stock width beam.

There isn't any offset difference between drums and disks (the regular Karmann Ghia disks). Dropped spindles add about +.25" (CB style) or .50" (welded style) per side.

Lanner
Old January 11th 2007, 21:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
With 7et42 wheels, you will have no problems in the back (drums).

In the front, with drums you will have to narrow the beam 2". With dropped spindles and disks, you may be able to get away with the 2" beam, but I'd do a 3" beam to be sure. It definately will not fit with a stock width beam.

There isn't any offset difference between drums and disks (the regular Karmann Ghia disks). Dropped spindles add about +.25" (CB style) or .50" (welded style) per side.

Lanner
cool thanks now what if I was to go with 15x4.5inch fuchs up front and 15x5.5 or 6inch in rear, sorry for the stupid questions.....did i mention im still learning bout the ac world
Old January 11th 2007, 21:51

The Fuchs will work with the stock beam. But last time I checked, 4.5's sell for about $US1200-1500 a pair.

Lanner