GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old October 8th 2012, 12:45

What process did you use to refurbish the gauges? I just purchased a set on eBay and they need some love as well.

Thanks,

Kevin,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogara_ZO View Post
In the meantime I've refurbished the gauges purchased from ebay.
Old October 8th 2012, 17:55

Looking very sharp! Did you craft a new wiring harness from scratch or did you base if off an existing one? What's your track width (front and rear) with those wheels and tires? did you have to get much wider fenders or still stock?
Old October 9th 2012, 04:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by DORIGTT View Post
What process did you use to refurbish the gauges? I just purchased a set on eBay and they need some love as well.

Thanks,

Kevin,
Hi Kevin,

I got them in "sold as is" condition, so they were taken apart in a local shop to see what we have. The tacho was OK, just the pointer had to be repainted and the counter sat back to zero. The rpm required new electronics (50 EUR) than it was re-calibrated to work well.

After that I polished the faces and reassembled them with the chrome rings from (german) ebay. BTW the 52mm and 80mm (km/h) can be ordered from any VDO dealer (like the glasses if you need them), but the 105mm (rev. counter) was a longer story..finally I found a german guy who makes these rings (for 40 EUR or so)..I can send you the contact if you need.
Old October 9th 2012, 05:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble View Post
Looking very sharp! Did you craft a new wiring harness from scratch or did you base if off an existing one? What's your track width (front and rear) with those wheels and tires? did you have to get much wider fenders or still stock?
Thanks.
Wiring is from scratch. The old one was in poor condition, I need some extra wires for the gauges and It's always good to know every color in your harness..just in case.

Originally I was planning stock fenders but it won't work with the wheels, now I'm in the 2-4 cm range (1-1,5"). Both of front and rear fenders I actually have are SAID to be 4 cm widened.

Have tried the rear ones on (made by Hoffmann Speedster), they seems OK with the wheels (will see under load & with own tyres) and that what counts.
Based on Kerscher's website (http://www.kerscher-tuning.de/kaefer...e2=Kotfl%FCgel) +4cm rears are ok till 9x15 ET-39 with 225 tyres..I guess it's not valid as they have the same numbers for +6cm fenders as well. The +2cm sounds acceptable: they are recommended till 7x15 ET16 with 225 tyres, this is not far form my 8x16 ET11 with 205 tyres. In extra I have 944 NA rear brakes and not sure of the offset increase. If Lanner is right (I think he is), it is 22.5mm per side, than fenders have to be 4 cm wider on rear. Can anybody prove the track increase caused by the brakes?

Fronts are made by Kerscher, 4cm widened as I measured. Belive or not I had no time to try them on yet :-/
The same website recommends +2cm ones till 7x15 ET16 with 195 tyres, so my 7x16 ET21.5 with 195/45 tyres should fit nicely under that. I use standard brakes in this sence (no offset increase) and IIRC the front track of the 1302 is slightly narrower than 1303. Also Lanner states stock wings are OK for 7" wide ET38+ rims, so +2cm in front should be enough here.

Now I have to try them on to see how they fit. Getting +2cm fenders means no spacers and stockish look, keeping these ones means wider front track. BTW now the rear track is increased by a good 60mm compared to front..does it have any negative affect on handling?

This is my first super, no experiences yet just numbers from the web..sorry for the brain-fart

Last edited by Bogara_ZO; October 9th 2012 at 07:18.
Old October 10th 2012, 07:13

An other package has arrived today:

Old November 9th 2012, 09:00

I test fitted the fenders, the numbers above seems to be correct, so an other plus point for Lanner. Rear track increase is about 5 cm/side. These are from a crashed speedster, left one arrived in two pieces, just the right could be tried on. 205/55 tyre you see here will be changed to 205/45x16.

since right seemed OK I asked a friend to repair the broken one and fill out the holes. Based on this picture it turned out well, I'll try it on in a week or so.

On the front I've decided to go with 20mm spacers to fill out the arches, get wider front track and turning radius. Hope I'll be able to keep the stockish look at the end. During the mockup I had some issues with the left one, will try it again with all the bolts to see what we have there. 195/45x16, size is final, tyre is not.

Last edited by Bogara_ZO; November 9th 2012 at 09:37.
Old November 9th 2012, 09:32

I bought these bucket seats from the '70s. The stripes are red but far from the car's color. They are in acceptable condition, so will give a try as is and see if I like them with all black carpets around or not. Retrimming is always an option.

They are compact enough for the bug but big enough for me. Weight is 13 kg / seat, 7 kg less than my (recliner) Sparco Torinos, so an other14 kgs were saved. Let me know what do you think.

Old November 9th 2012, 18:32

Haha, the terminator!
Old December 6th 2012, 01:03

Hey there,

Any update on mounting your rear fenders? You said you were going to try and squeeze 4cm fenders over those wheels. Are the fenders shown above the ones you were talking about?
Old December 28th 2012, 17:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugged View Post
Hey there,

Any update on mounting your rear fenders? You said you were going to try and squeeze 4cm fenders over those wheels. Are the fenders shown above the ones you were talking about?
Sorry for the very late answer, I am very busy nowadays. Yes, you can see the fender above I was referring to. Left one didn't turn out well, now it has a completely different shape, it have to be done again..no sense to try it on

I worked 2 days on the car, first day was about the headliner. First, I used some dynamat-style stuff for noise reduction.

It is the TMI aftermarket product, a bit oversized, but ok for the price.

Cutting the sunroof

Finally

Old December 28th 2012, 17:42

After the headliner, the windows, rubbers and scrapers were put in place. Trims are genuine aluminium and not the common aluminium look-a-like plastic ones. Hope they will last for years.

Wiring is almost done, still waiting for some gauges to complete the dash.

Finally the Tarox calipers are installed with spacers, pads and brake lines. I had a little issue with the spacer that was included in the kit. The pads didn't allowed them to fit well so some machining was required. Not a big deal but surprising in case of such a nice and expensive kit, that should be 100% plug and play. Can't find the pics of this, but will upload asap.

Fills out nicely the 16" wheel but not too fancy from outside.

Last edited by Bogara_ZO; December 28th 2012 at 18:02.
Old March 18th 2013, 16:04

Worked an other weekend on the car..

installed 4 of the 6 gauges

as well as the Bug-Tech shifter

Shift knob looks good on it. The same logo can be found in centre of my steering wheel.

Old March 18th 2013, 16:18

Having access to the battery area and back seats is not easy if you have bucket seats. These mounts are based on a Weichers frame (oiginally for Opel Corsa A) that required some fabrication to fit.

Aluminium strut brace

Fuel system (still missing some clamps)

Old March 18th 2013, 16:23

Suspension details:

Old March 18th 2013, 16:30

Nowadays

Eng-IN

Rancho Pro Street (3.875 & 0.89), CB urethane front & VW grey HD rubber rear mounts (as some of you suggested)