GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old April 21st 2005, 05:36

Type IV External Oil Cooler Issues.

Hello,

I have been having some major problems with my oil cooling, inparticular keeping the oil in the engine instead of cleaning it off the garage floor.

I Have a Mesa external cooler fitted but I seem to be getting a lot of oil coming out of the threads of the connectors to the oil lines and the fittings to the oil pressure senors. I am going to try using a thread sealer to see if that stops the problems, however I would like to check that I have got the orientation of my oil lines correct out to the cooler, and the problem is not being caused by back pressure.

I have a Type IV engine, on the block there are two holes one above the other, I have used an addaptor to fit the oil lines. I have set it up so that the top hole feeds out from the engine to the cooler, and the return from the cooler is connected to the bottom hole. Is this correct?????????

The oil pressure is 60lb when the car is running, is this about right?.

Any help you could provide is appreciated.

Paul Grey
Auckland, New Zealand
paulgnz@hotmail.com
Old April 21st 2005, 11:17

It shouldn't matter which way round you connect it up, it will just mean the oil flows one way through the cooler, or the other way. 60lbs is fairly high pressure, but not uncommon when cold, and your pipes should be able to deal with it.

I have just finished an oil cooler install myself actually, with my hoses attached to barbed fittings with 2 worm drive clamps on each connection (I will replace the clamps with some full circle bolt type ones when I find some). I was worried about them leaking but they are not leaking at all. I did use a very thin smear of high-temp silicone sealant on the sealing surfaces, but because the of the type of fittings, these sealing surfaces are never threads. I am not sure what the best method to seal threads is.

Here is a picture of my installation:
Old April 22nd 2005, 14:04

setup is fine. you should consider putting a thermostat between the engine and cooler though. check out CB Performance for that.

use thread sealant with Teflon. this was based on a recommendation by my engine builder. worked like a charm.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old April 22nd 2005, 23:07

Thanks Guys,

I currently have got a thermostat between the engine and the cooler, The Thermostat has a flow direction, hence my concern about the orientation on the pipes. The Idea of the thermostat is that at when the oil is cold oil flow to the cooler is stopped to get the oil up to temp quickly, once the oil hits temp the oil flows to the cooler to keep the oil at a stable operating temp. I also have an electric fan on the cooler to help. The operating temp is between 75C and 90C.

Paul Grey
Auckland, New Zealand
paulgnz@hotmail.com
Old April 23rd 2005, 10:06

Ah I see, yes you will need to make sure your thermostat is plumbed in the correct way round, otherwise It probobly wont work.. Sorry, I don't know which way the oil flows round the stock cooler..
Old April 24th 2005, 17:26

What size if the lines

Hi, don't want to rain on your joy,but if those lines are -8 you may have a problem. I made some lines, -8, and routed them to the same location as yours. Long story short, I had a 30mm pump and also a HP-1 filter, my low oil light stayed on very dimly. Well, that low oil light was true, I finally had a intake valve seized. Back fired enough to start a fire on the air clearer, burnt my loom. If I may suggest use a -6 line, the length will drop your pressure. It caused me a hell of a problem, with the wiring and all.

Just trying to help
fvercher@charter.net
Old April 24th 2005, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by effvee
Hi, don't want to rain on your joy
Who, me or Paul?
Old April 27th 2005, 19:47

If oil seems to be "unstoppable" from threaded joints... try green Loctite on them.. works wonders..

Cheers,

Brian