GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old April 1st 2006, 21:19

Type IV conversion

I'm convinced a T4 would be the best for my GL. Since I have to change engine this summer, I'm facing a budget dilema: I only have about 1500 CDN$ to put into an engine. I want to know if I can keep the stock fuel injection or stock carbs, and stock exaust/muffler from a 914 for a starter and run this way for the summer? I know I cannot escape the flyweel/adaptor and cooling issues but can I save on Intake and exaust by staying stock? I have 2 oportunities: either 1.7 from an accidented 914 thats been sitting for 15 years so pistons are almost sized, and has 1 or 2 broken heads studs in the case for 250$ or a good 2.0l for 800$. What would you do? Will I have to brace my frame horns?

Thanks, your many answers have always helped me and I'm begging for help again.
Old April 2nd 2006, 00:27
Administrator

If you can go with the 2L. The intake for the FI or center mounted carb will not fit an upright cooling system. If it cam with dual carbs, you can run with those. You can do a Joe Cali cooling conversion if you aren't going with a larger displacment. The alternator stand can be had from Jake Raby at his Type 4 store.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old April 5th 2006, 06:15

If you are going to use a T4 you dont need an adapter. I would go with the 2. It will always be worth something. Make sure it runs well. Often this engine drops the third seat. If you were planning to rebuild the 1.7 it would cost more than the 2. now. The 2. only has appox. 100hp so I am sure you dont need to worry about your frame horns.
Old April 5th 2006, 09:12
Administrator

Go for the 2L if you can. BTW, when I installed my 2L, I had outrageous wheel hop (1st gear launches ) so bad it sounded like someone was pounding the frame with a sledge hammer.

A Kafer Brace cured that though.

Good Luck !

Sandeep
Old April 5th 2006, 09:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt1211
If you are going to use a T4 you dont need an adapter.
I thought the T4 flywheel was bigger than what the beetle trans can handle. I heard I had to purchasse a kennedy cluch adaptor kit....
Thanks for all the inputs. I just bougth Joli Cali's conversion book. I hope it is going to shed some light on all this!!!
Old April 5th 2006, 10:32

You also need my Conversion video, I go over flywheels and etc as well as the shroud.

The 210 and 215mm Type 4 flywheels are compatible with a TI tranny, the ring gear is the same size OD as a 200mm TI. The teeth align with the stock starter just fine as well. To prove this I used a 210mm flywheel for the Type 4 conversion engine I built for Hot VWs, the multi-part article starts next month!
Also next month I will be unveiling a new site all about the TIV conversion, it's 120 hardcore pages!
Old April 7th 2006, 04:35

Thanks Massive I reallllly apreciate your inputs on this forum and will get the next HotVW mag. BTW, I will be using a 2l porsche engine, I think the original flywheel would not fit. What do you recommand? Do you have a kit similar (and cheaper!!! ) than Kennedy? How much? Please send me a personnal email about this if you feel more confortable. Anyways I will be getting most of my parts from you...