GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old September 21st 2008, 14:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
Come on kids! How was it?
Bl**dy AWESOME!!!!

Beautifull weather, excellent company, I met a long lost friend who now runs a small pension at the Ring (met him at the filling station in Adenau, how unbelievable is that!) and did over a 1000 rounds himself...

Well, I let the fotos speak for themselves:
Meeting point at a petrol station near the border Netherlands-Germany:

Marnix in his awesome GSR:

AJ bug just finished and looking VERY good:

Old September 21st 2008, 14:45

Spotted by the webcam at the entrance:

Old September 21st 2008, 14:47

Our first lap of each of us:

AJ and I did another lap both with passenger:

It was a day I'll never forget and it doesn't get any better than last friday for the four of us!
Old September 21st 2008, 16:18

Found one more:

Old September 21st 2008, 17:07

Wow, you guys are living out a dream of mine!!!! Great shots, she looks beautiful.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old September 22nd 2008, 09:46

Wow!!!

Those pictures came out really well. How did your cars handle The 'ring?
Any memorable on-track moments?
Old September 22nd 2008, 14:32

Gawd I love that GSR! I've been extremely tempted to put the same paint job on the sports bug and race bug when it's done. Even got porsche wheels on it Now if only there was some in car video.

Wally, how did the turbo setup do at the ring? Give any quick cars a run for their money?
Old September 22nd 2008, 15:03

I want to go back!!!

It was the first long trip with my just finished bug and first time ever that I have driven a car myself on a racetrack. I can tell you, this experience is truly amazing!!

Just like Walter, I did two laps. First lap was mostly driving on the right half of the road, because I am 'slow-traffic' with only a 1600 engine and overtaking only allowed on the left side. I used this lap to explore the track and just enjoy driving on the largest racetrack of this planet. Almost every corner has some slope in it and on some hills I had to run a shorter gear in order to stay climbing. Second lap I drove much faster. Roadholding of my bug was quite surprising; on some coupled corners with no straights I even managed to stay after a 911 and circuit-prepared BMW. It was also surprising to see the bodyroll and jumping on the outer wheels of many fast factory cars and driving my bug about the same speed through the corner with only little tyre-screaming.

It's an experience I won't forget. I definately will be there again next year, hopefully with bigger brakes and engine!

Old September 22nd 2008, 15:31

Humble: in-car videos are strictly forbidden there, as is keeping running timers in the car and right hand side overtaking.
They have these 'rules' as there are very many accidents with quite some casualties. The Ring authorities are very scared that the many accidents may lead to closure of the Nürburgring by the politicians if accidents and especially casualties go up any further...

So, I didn't intend to give any other cars any run for their money as acting tough can cost you your car, big fines and damage costs to the track (closure because of your oil spillage of your own stupid accident costs up to 1500 euros per hour...) and ultimately lives to yourself and motorists falling by your oil loss.

Having said all that....the track is SOOO unbelievebly nice and some curves are soooo tempting to be taken at some speed/acceleration that I could not resist to push the pedal down where I could see where I went and no traffic was ahead of me. Because of the trackday at Zandvoort the weekend before I knew the engine and car were in great shape and all felt very reliable
And yes, some Audi S6 behind me could hardly gain up on me, but I let him pass anyways and kept behind him the rest of the remaining of the 20 km's track Track knowledge is EVERYTHING there, as a lot of the corners cannot be seen untill your almost halfway through it. This is because most are just over the hill when they turn...
The differences in heights is what makes this track so unique imo. At some points the entire car was pushed hard into the shock bump stops on all 4 wheels when going downwards and hard uphill again. You could feel it in your stumich (sp?) and ears.
The carroussel was very special as well, but very bumpy!
I short, the car stuck to the track like glue due to all the mods and wide sticky tires and our 3 beetles had more spectators in the car park than all the GT2,3 RS's Lotus's and whatever had

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
Wow!!!

Those pictures came out really well. How did your cars handle The 'ring?
Any memorable on-track moments?
Yeah, unfortunately, I had a 'moment' nevertheless my 'carefull' (not) driving: In the famous 'Adenauer Frost' curve my speed was still way too high and I needed to steer over the rather steep curb sides there Luckily, no harm was done and we drove over the side and onto the track again.. pfft.
And this was after the frst lap where I could just brake for this corner and thought to be more carefull for this one next time... That is how dangerous my enthousiasm for 'spirited' driving can be.. Preparation is therefore also very important and if I would have timed the curves or distance for this curve, I would have better anticipated it.
Upside is that all other corners are less threathorous (sp?) and were ultimately fun to drive through.
Pity we couldn't do a WOT down the straight, although a certain new 911 did try to pass me coming up the straight. Well, that was untill I saw him wanting to pass this little bug..hehe, so it was open road, no bends and he didn't pass and had to arrange behind me to exit the Ring halfway the straight
Yeah, I was very carefull....

While aiting for the TouristenFahren to open, we thought this was a Nissan Skyline, but later i heard it was the new Honda NSX...the sound of it running at topspeed down the straight was breathtaking!:
Turn the sound to max and listen to it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s1-Z5xWKGI
Old September 22nd 2008, 15:33

This is our second lap driving through the gate. Just ignore the last part
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DFCW3aPDcY
Old September 22nd 2008, 17:27

Received another picture:

Old September 22nd 2008, 22:12

All of your cars look awesome on the track, looks like they were always meant to be there.

I posted a link to this thread over at aussieveedubbers.com in the circuit racing section.
Old September 23rd 2008, 17:54

Thanks for the nice words Cam.

This one says it all for me:
Old September 24th 2008, 17:35

AWESOME!!!

So spit it out, what were the lap times? I'm sure someone glanced at their watch.

I loved that track with the ****box rental. To lap it in my aircooled...... i'd pee myself.

High five to you guys, sooo jealous! Love the pics.

Pete
Old September 25th 2008, 02:06

Thanks Pete, but since you've been there yourself, you know it is not allowed to run a timer in the car as it is to film during driving in order to avoid bravoury.
I really wasn't concerned about a time on a very dangerous track with 73 corners, a lot of them blind over a crest... Add to the fact that your coming onto the track and driving off on the same straight, and you may understand that timing is a bit pointless imho.
There was an olderly gentleman at the car park that had a lot of experience with porsches, even worked on 917's back in the days and did hundreds of laps himself there that said my car could do under 10 minutes...

Its just the driver that has no experience...