GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old May 5th 2004, 02:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep
The hub assembly is the same and I used an aftermarket spindle nut and got all threads on except maybe one ? I found my original spindle nuts and they measure about 4mm thinner than the aftermarket ones, so I used those instead and I get all threads on the spindle nut to engage.

Hope that helps.

Sandeep
cool,

where do i find these?

thanks,
pete
Old June 10th 2004, 11:24
Administrator

To all interested in this brake upgrade

I was adjusting my brake setup last night and thought I would see how the rotors fit with the original brake hats instead of the custom hats. The original hats push the rotor out toward the fender lip by an adittional 6mm (1/4"). This actually works better for me because my front wheels (18x8.5 et 52) rub on the lower trailing arm at full lock.

So, if you use stock 993TT rotors including the stock hats, the increase in track on each side over stock drums, is 28mm (1.10"), with the special adapter hats, the increase is 22mm (0.866").

this takes into account the 6.35mm (1/4") increase per side that the dropped spindles provide.

Hope this helps someone.

Sandeep
Old June 11th 2004, 09:39
Administrator

Talking Un-Frikin-Real !!

Well, I took the bug for its first drive of the summer last night to make sure there was nothing wrong and to test the brakes ... All I can say is UNBELEIVABLE !!!

I can adjust the bias from locking the fronts only to locking the rear only and the braking power is unreal. I would compare JUST the fronts to being equivalent to my original 4 wheel drums. When I dial in the rears and brake HARD, I feel my glasses trying to leave my face !

The pedal feels a little harder than the stock setup ( from what I can remember) but not by much and driving around the subdivision, it feels like I have stock brakes.

I'm still bedding in the pads (PRB Metal Masters) but I did about 12 stops from about 100Kph to 0 driving about 500m between stops and then got out and felt the rotors and calipers .... The calipers were warm to the touch and the rotors were hot, by hot I mean, I could touch them for about 3-4 seconds before I had to remove my finger.

It looks like I have "Fade Free" brakes now but the real test will be when I take it to the track ... REALLY looking forward to that.

Sandeep
Old October 31st 2004, 22:48

Thanks for the hope!!

Man I thought Id never be able to fit those beauties on my 69!!

Life is good

Anyways I was wondering how you came up with the bracket to mount the calipers on. I dont think it was one long trial and error game so how did you do it?

Thanks
Clint

Hopefully Soon!!
Back home in Port Orchard, and saving for the Bug
Old November 1st 2004, 10:10

Sick, absolutely sick! (and slick)
VKG Bastage child
Old November 1st 2004, 17:16
Administrator

I got a peice of plastic block from a local plastics company (same stuff cutting boards are made of) and shaped it with a dremel to get it close to specs. I then send the dimensions to www.vdubcustoms.com to get the adapters machined out of aluminum. I then measured and drilled the bolt holes to match the calipers and mount them on the spindle.

This job was custom in every way so I don't have any dimensions to give out.

Sandeep
Old November 1st 2004, 19:53

Crazy

Thats mad cool!!

Hey, when you reinstalled the normal size rotor hat, did that stop the wheels from rubbing on anything? Ive been looking for 18 wheels with a 7.5 or 8" width, but man thats hard to find a cool wheel like that unless its a 17. Im glad to hear someone has successfully installed one of those in a bug two! Your just a installing machine arent you!!

Peace
Clint

Hopefully Soon!!
Old November 1st 2004, 21:05

Hey quick question.

What type of calipers are you using? I know that they are big reds but for what year and type of Porsche are they for? Did you get them from the dealership as well as the other parts or did you do the e-bay route? Thanks for the info!

Clint

Hopefully Soon!!
Old November 6th 2004, 13:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep
Well, I took the bug for its first drive of the summer last night to make sure there was nothing wrong and to test the brakes ... All I can say is UNBELEIVABLE !!!

I can adjust the bias from locking the fronts only to locking the rear only and the braking power is unreal. I would compare JUST the fronts to being equivalent to my original 4 wheel drums. When I dial in the rears and brake HARD, I feel my glasses trying to leave my face !

The pedal feels a little harder than the stock setup ( from what I can remember) but not by much and driving around the subdivision, it feels like I have stock brakes.

I'm still bedding in the pads (PRB Metal Masters) but I did about 12 stops from about 100Kph to 0 driving about 500m between stops and then got out and felt the rotors and calipers .... The calipers were warm to the touch and the rotors were hot, by hot I mean, I could touch them for about 3-4 seconds before I had to remove my finger.

It looks like I have "Fade Free" brakes now but the real test will be when I take it to the track ... REALLY looking forward to that.

Sandeep

What exactly did you use to have the brake bias selectable? I just got those same brakes, and i'm following your tutorial to put them on my 70 standard. I'm still looking for some info on how to get the rears on there, your tutorial only shows the front. But back to the brake basis thingy, thats really cool! And you post here makes me more and more excited to get my *** in gear and put those bad boys on!!!!
Old November 9th 2004, 19:08

I was wondering the same thing when I looked at Sandeep's post. I remembered that he got most of that stuff from Wilwood. So I took a look at their website and all of that stuff is there! I believe its www.wilwood.com
Yeah thats right! I just tested it

Hopefully Soon!!
Old November 21st 2004, 14:44

master cylinder for 996t calipers

my brackets are done and I have to get a master cylinder. I looked at wilwoods site but am not sure about exactly which mc to use, a part number would be great. is a 1 inch piston the best for these 4 piston claipers
Old November 22nd 2004, 12:38

master cylinder

still can't find the master cylinder you guys are talking about. I found one that is 1 1/16 inch that looks like it would work. some photos of your master setup would be great. I would share pics of my stuff
Old November 27th 2004, 00:00

That is a lovely setup Sandeep. Lovely indeed. What grade material is this aluminium?

Would be nice to see a pic of the bias valve adjuster and the rear brake setup.

Thanks for sharing.

Ephry