GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old June 18th 2005, 15:39

Slimline coilovers, who's best?

I've got my 17"'s, disc conversion and new rear drums drilled 4x100. What are the recommendations for slimline struts? I've been looking at kerscher(machine7) £440 for fronts only Laperformance can do them £350, don't know what type? or maxx topline's?
Any advise is appreciated
Old June 18th 2005, 23:58

Thumbs up Depends

Hi, it would depend on if you Super is a 1302/flat windshield or 1303 curved windshield. In the case of flat windshield you can lower the body approx 5 inches. The curved windshield will lower approw 3.5 inches. Noe take in account what type of rims you will use, and the rim offset. Another varable is if you use a 944 disc brake convesion and the width increse. I not sure but I beleive all of the struts won't have camber adjustment at the strut, only at the lower control arm. So as you can see a little more infor is needed. But if we can help we will.

Well after all of the above I see you will use disc/drum conversion. So offset will still need to be factored in issue and 1302 veses 1303
Old June 19th 2005, 07:45

LAP's struts are AVOs, I went for the kerschers in the end, direct from Germany as M7 didn't have any in stock. They have a slotted top hole for camber adjustment and have koni adjustable inserts with progressive eibach springs.

On my late cab, the track seems quite wide, I am running at least a degree negative camber to get the stock ATS wheels under the front wings, pulling in the control arm will bring things to about right I think, I'll probably get a more adjustable bolt.

Rich
Old June 20th 2005, 13:11

slimline coilovers

Ricola, Who did you purchase your kerschers from in germany and did you save any doing it this way? I think i'll end up going for kerscher due to all previous posts recommending them.
Old June 20th 2005, 15:16

I bought them from Kerscher direct, got shipping prices etc by email then phoned the order through with my credit card. I saved a bit, not a massive amount...
Rich
Old June 28th 2005, 02:37

thnig is LAP only do the 2 bolt later 1303 struts, Machine 7 do the early ones and late ones, so if you are pre74 you are faced with only the kersher, or change you whole setup to take later struts.

i have kersher, and the car is lowered to the max, only 3" ground clearance on the framehead,

i dont have wings on yet so this may not really be reasonable, but i did find that the steering arms will hit the body so you may need a bumpsteer kit like i do.