GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old October 26th 2013, 02:02

My attempt at building GL beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
looks impressive so far. you have done a ton of work. some of the build pics remind me of my build. you will definitely keep us up to date on the scooby conversion. i have a personal interest in that as i am currently considering either that or a 2056 type 4 for my daughters 62 Germanlook
Hi there a lots of scooby conversions out there,also some on this site have been done extremely well,check out Ricola,Steve c and Vw 1303 all builds on this site.Also VWKD website has lots of info.

Another part I have been dreaming of owning for ages arrived a few months ago my G50 Porsche box .[IMG]~original[/IMG]I brought this off a Porsche breaker here in the UK.Two weeks after buying it the guy calls me back to tell me a friend of his has a brand new Quaife Diff sitting in his garage.After a quick call I whizz over to his place and almost pulled his arm off for it @ £500 one of the best bargains I have had so far for the build .Few months later and the box was dropped off to a friend of a friend at a well known Rally Car builders and the diff is fitted.
Old October 26th 2013, 05:29

Hi

I have a Quaife in my G50 as well, very happy with it. The Porsche guy that fitted it said that the Porsche guys don't like them.

Steve
Old October 26th 2013, 13:06

Torsen diffs have no over run locking or pre load, generally true but not quite , as the very latest Motorsport quaifes do have adjustable pre load pads, not sure if they are for sale yet tho, all plate type diffs have over run locking ramps, preferred by many for racing, all lsd's have pros and cons whatever the type.
Old October 28th 2013, 21:07

Ive heard good reports on the quaife lsd for street use,some people saying its one of the best mods for drivability.Others sware by the diff made by a company called Guard but apparently these are better for track use and even more money than the quaife one.Anyways hopefully the diff will be worth the extra expense.I gave the box a good scrub and a bit of a polish [IMG]~original[/IMG]
Old October 28th 2013, 23:41

Hi

The guy that fitted my Quaife reckons a normal plate type LSD would be too vicious in a bug, plus they cost a lot more. He prepares Porsche cup cars so he knows a bit about them

I figure that they are stronger than an open diff that my G50 had.

Steve
Old October 29th 2013, 15:38

I have to say the locking up on over-run is the best bit of the plate LSD on my bug, it's has transformed it from scarey on lift off to a car that stays stable..
Old October 31st 2013, 03:07

The diff I have fitted is the ATB torque biasing type that has no plates.I am not sure it will be as useful as a plate type diff when you lift off the gas but it does have other benefits.This is quite a complex subject with many pros and cons.http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...p/t-72684.html

Hopefully though it will be a better car all round than just having the standard diff.

Thanks for your comments fellas.
Old October 31st 2013, 18:36

Hi Rich

What sort of speeds did you find the benefits?, I've only run up to about 164 kmh on race track and the car seemed very stable.

Steve
Old November 1st 2013, 09:06

It wasn't about the speed, it was all to do with the rate of deceleration, might have been worse with mine as it is relatively softly sprung..
Old July 3rd 2014, 15:23

Ok so I am getting geared up again to get started on the car again.I thought I would post up some pics to get some help and advice on what should ideally happen for the engine gearbox install.I currently have the torsion tube in place but his is going to need cutting to fit the long nose g50.I am thinking about building a cradle/frame over the long nose end like Steve C's build on here with possibly a box type frame tying into the cage at the front of the frame horns and then adding a rear engine cradle mount for the Subaru engine mounts like Ricola's (blatantly copying there designs but there cleverer then me ).I want to tie the whole lot to the cage so any suggestions on designs would be apreciated.Also I am thinking about using a bell housing strap ? like Wallys copy copy, again sorry fellas but I like all the mods that you've done on your cars and I think a combination of your designs would be a great way to install the engine and gearbox.Another thought is a brace under the torsion tube to strengthen it all up ? Also I have a rear anti roll bar fitted,would this be in the way or would the gearbox over sail this ?

[IMG]~original[/IMG][IMG]~original[/IMG][IMG]~original[/IMG]

What do ya reckon fellas any additional input advice or suggestions are really welcome ? Once again sorry for the copy cat approach here but I think this seems the best way as these are kind of tried and tested methods.
I will be fitting the better racers edge lower shock bolts than those in the pics.

If anyone is reading this who've I have mentioned above would you have done anything different ? I will have to have this work done professionally as I don't have the skills myself so I want to get it right.Once again thanks for all the inspirational builds that exist on this site they do keep me keen and motivated.Not sure if anyone is reading this but if you are thanks in advance Graham.
Old July 6th 2014, 12:52

This is the sort of thing I am thinking of excuse the dodgy sketches

[IMG]~original[/IMG][IMG][IMG]~original[/IMG]~original[/IMG][IMG]~original[/IMG]
Any thoughts ???
Old July 6th 2014, 17:01

I thought about having some sort of frame over the trans which also tied in to the top damper mounts but space was very tight, turns out my design is very rigid as it is so that's how I would do it again! In a saloon you may be able to do it in thinner gauge and add the bracing as a more weight efficient solution...
Old July 7th 2014, 15:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricola View Post
I thought about having some sort of frame over the trans which also tied in to the top damper mounts but space was very tight, turns out my design is very rigid as it is so that's how I would do it again! In a saloon you may be able to do it in thinner gauge and add the bracing as a more weight efficient solution...
Nice one Rich thats just the kind of advice I am looking for.
Old October 6th 2014, 04:13

a few mods I managed to get done before I went away on holiday.
I removed the fuel tank corners as it had taken a wack and I thought they would look neater shaped before[IMG]~original[/IMG]
after

added some holes prior to welding in plate for added fuel capacity and a 12 mm fuel outlet[IMG]~original[/IMG][IMG]~original[/IMG]
[IMG]~original[/IMG]
I managed to give the tank a good clean with marine clean,next step is metal ready and then the inside of the tank is having a coat of Por 15 tank sealer.Shortened oil pick up with added section just in case the sump takes a hit
[IMG]~original[/IMG]
modified sump.cant take the credit for this design as I copied Ricloas idea [IMG]
~original[/IMG][IMG]~original[/IMG]
loom sorted [IMG]~original[/IMG]
Old October 8th 2014, 16:52

[IMG]~original[/IMG]

This Uniball kit is made by Alex ( member on here) I have to say they are incredibly well made so to do them justice I decided to get them a polished and have some black zinc plating done.anal I know but I think they are worth it [IMG]~original[/IMG][IMG]~original[/IMG]