GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old December 29th 2012, 19:08

Hi

Interesting comment about the harmonics.

When I worked in a performance VW shop, when we fitted a higher comp, higher performance motor to a customers car its transmission would develop an overrun noise which wasn't there before.

We put this down more savage pulsing on overrun, fitting a sprung centre clutch plate helped.

A 6 cylinder motor would have more even pulsing than a 4 cylinder.

Anyway now I have the peace of mind knowing I'm not grinding my transmission pieces.

I only had my front end aligned, I still have a bit to do to correct the toe out on the rear.

I fitted some offset pivot bolts made by a local drag racer which helped a lot, just need a whisker more.

Steve

The pivot bolts

Old January 6th 2013, 17:25

Ah yes - i remember seeing that - sorry, i had bit of a blonde moment there!
Old February 25th 2013, 05:38

Hi

Bit of an update, I replaced my cracked 930 CV boots with some eBay ones, great quality.

Some time ago I read post on this forum by Ricola about clocking CVs. After a bit of search I found the information on doing this. You can read more about it here http://www.outfrontmotorsports.com/cv_assembly.htm

I used a plastic windscreen washer bottle as my water to air intercooler reservoir.

It always looked a bit cheap so I bought a aluminium one from eBay and had my friend Westi fit two 3/4 bungs and a two bosses so I could fit a level indicator.

Transmission still has noises but nowhere near as bad as before and it seems to be just one noise now, not a variety of noises. I've decided to keep the extra mountings that I've fitted even if they do transmit noise. At least I know that I’m not slowly grinding the transmission to pieces.

I fitted an extra brake light bulb in tail light housing, just in case and also I've made a move to a more permanent coolant overflow reservoir. I'm using US style tail light lenses.

I was booked in for a dyno on the 18th and to also have a knock module fitted to the Autronic SM4 at the same time.

It was a pretty disappointing day at the dyno, with all the heat build up around radiator because of the lack of airflow, the fuel pump started to make funny noises and cavitate and was making the motor run hairy over 5,000.

So no power figures as such but I did see 169kw on the screen once, the dyno is a very old but a good one but is not hooked up to printers etc like later dynos. I also will need to rethink my fuel pump layout.

I thought that I would post some photos of my 044 pump and surge tank.

Next week I'm going to move the 044 and surge tank to the rear of the car.
For the time being I've changed the surge tank layout a little, I originally had it setup so that fuel returning from the rail would go into the tank and cool a little, I think only relying on the lift pump to fill the surge tank would maybe make the surge tank run out of fuel during in high demand.

I also made some fill panels for my whale tail out of black Perspex and secured them with M5 nutserts and stainless M5 Allen screws.

I'm sorting out ride heights now and just having fun driving it. I'm also setting up the waste gate actuator.

So after I get my fuel issues sorted I will go a for another dyno session.

Steve
Old February 25th 2013, 08:15

Making a lot progress! Looks great! Hope you get the fuel issues sorted out soon!
Old February 25th 2013, 09:10
Administrator

Looking good.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old February 25th 2013, 21:40

Wow just read this from the Start... SWEET build

Hope you get some Video over it when it's all Said an done
I know I'm not only one what would like to See it.

Chris.
07 Chevy 3500 Dually
Old March 5th 2013, 01:43

My other 1303 GL

Hi Steve,been looking through your thread again.How you getting on with the fuel pump set up ? I am doing some research at the moment on best set ups for STI powered bugs with external fuel pumps.Any info advice is appreciated.

Regards Graham
Old March 5th 2013, 02:12

Hi Graham

I'm going to go in tank 044 now. I'm just collecting parts now.

My friend who gives me some advice in this area and does any tricky welding (he builds fuel, inlet & exhaust system for some of the fastest cars down under) suggested going for an in tank fuel pump.

My reason for moving to a in tank setup is that I have fuel system parts strewn around the front area of the car, I feel if I have everything in one spot I can concentrate on keeping that one spot cool.

I currently have a Carter lift pump on passenger side of the car about where the master cylinder would be on a LHD car, its in the path of the exit air flow from the radiator.

My surge tank and main fuel pump are in boot floor close to the radiator.

Steve
Old March 7th 2013, 02:27

My other 1303 GL

Hi Steve.

Thanks for the that I would go in tank as well but I dont want to chop the tank now as its painted and I've bought my external fuel pump and filter.

Thats good thinking on the cooling side of things.I will now concentrate on keeping the heat from my rads away from my fuel system
Old March 8th 2013, 00:51

Hi Graham

I'm not sure if your motor has it, but my motor ECU controls a variable speed fuel pump controller, I control the 044 with this and lift pump runs at full speed.

Steve
Old March 8th 2013, 01:54

My other 1303 GL

Nice one Steve I will look into that.
Old April 20th 2013, 03:56

Hi

in-tank 044 fuel pump is finished now, I'm booked in next month for a tune at a Central Coast Subaru guru.

Not really GL stuff but I like a few comforts in my bug. I've been driving around without any sound system since I got the car on the road, so I now have blue tooth for my phone, Ipod and radio to find out why I'm held up in traffic.

I fitted a JVC unit I've had for about 6 years waiting to be fitted, I also fitted a cup holder on the bottom of the radio bracket.

I also fitted a resistor in my LED high beam warning light circuit, it was way too bright and while I had the dash apart and I also installed an air intake temperature gauge. As you can see it was 30 C in my garage that night.

I made up some front speaker mounts, I bolted these into the front footwell area. When I was drilling holes for the nutserts I used a bit of conduit to prevent my drill from going in too far and damaging the inside of the front 1/4 panel, its also handy if drilling near wires etc. BTW these speaker mounts will carpeted in the future.

Steve

Last edited by Steve C; April 20th 2013 at 03:57. Reason: forgot photo
Old April 20th 2013, 04:03

Hi

I've been collecting bits for my in tank 044 pump set up.

A friend has a Mazda Famlia that he tracks and he had a spare fuel pump housing that I could use for my set up. I had a weld in base for the fuel pump profile cut.

I went to my local EFI place http://www.afiaustralia.com.au and scored pump inlet filter, then I had my neighbour turn the 044 inlet fitting down to fit into the filter.

Steve
Old April 20th 2013, 04:08

Hi

I'm also upgrading my intercooler radiator to a proper PWR unit.

I had Brad at Westside modify my fuel tank to fit my 044 pump internally.

I washed the tank out 4 times with hot soapy water, no surprises.

Pictures tell the story.

Steve
Old April 20th 2013, 04:11

Hi

I also had Brad fit a Kombi tank sender, it was the only one Vintage VeeDub had in stock with the same ohm reading as my VDO fuel gauge. works great, I put 10 litres in and it read 1/4, filled it up and it read full, my tank holds about 46 litres. The stock 1302/1303 send would have been in the way.

A friend has Mazda Familia track and he gave me one of his spare pump housings, Brad gave a me useful tip, buy the special in tank hose for the fuel pump connection, normal fuel hose will disintegrate over time.

So I went to http://www.afiaustralia.com.au/ and picked up the special hose.