Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old September 7th 2010, 11:03

I thought he was going to talk about the no headlight ring look
Old September 8th 2010, 02:44

Putting the FAT back in "Fat Chick"!
Old September 8th 2010, 07:20

Looking good and functional there!
I do hope your ground clearence is enough; it does work better that low otot
Let us know how the difference feels with/without the air dam when you have finished it. I have an idea already tho
Old September 8th 2010, 12:31

I'm not sure if the headlights will stay or not since this is a race car first and foremost. I may just put aluminum discs in place to eliminate a couple pounds of glass.

I will definitely need to raise her up in the front at least 1-1.5" because the down force from the air dam and splitter will pull it back down at least that much. Talking to a few US touring car teams, I might need to swap in heavier springs to compensate as well.

I've learned a few more aero tricks that I'm going to try and implement on the car before the race season kicks off next year. I've also got a friend who's willing to do some paint/body work for me so hopefully that happens in the next month or so.
Old September 28th 2010, 11:32

First race in the race car! She's fast, but had grip problems up front and I didn't realize why until I got home. I was trying to chase down the buggies and got within 2 seconds of them on a short technical course. I think 1 second of that is suspension (it wasn't anywhere near dialed in) and 1 second of that is tires (they are on real slicks and I'm on grooved semi-slicks).

I spent the entire autox run in first gear, topping out at 52mph when bouncing on the rev limiter. During the 4th run I hit 24psi max but built so much case pressure it blew out the 1-2 valve cover gasket. Even though there was no rear sway bar there was much more body roll than I expected. I may do some more trimming down (doors especially) and corner weigh the car again, to make sure my springs aren't too soft.

On the way home, about a half mile from my house, the rear passenger lower shock mount broke with a loud bang. The bolt just sheered in half. I know of dozens of 944 track cars using these racers edge bolts so I didn't expect mine to fail. After looking at the pics I'm pretty sure I was bottomed out on the rear coilovers, which would explain the excessive understeer I saw, and all that force went into the bolt.

Now for the good stuff

I was only able to get 1 video, because I thought the camera was on during the other runs and it wasn't :P This was my quickest run, finishing in 58.5.

http://vimeo.com/15360537