GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Articles > Feature Articles

Old May 10th 2010, 11:15

Post Japanese Racer

Text by Vujade, Photos by 356Yuki
2002-08-26

Last time we told you all about Jak Rizzo's awesome 1302 racer from Down Under, well get ready to feast your eyes on the J-Sports circuit racer from the far east.

This 1971 1302 Super Beetle is owned & driver by Mr. Shigeo Osamura owner of J-Sports in Osaka, Japan. Shigeo races his 1302 in Japanese Circuit Races & as you can tell from the pictures This car is a serious contender.

Starting with the front you will notice the huge fiberglass spoiler / bumper. It has a large hole in the center allowing enough space for a large front mounted oil cooler. Moving down the side of the car, notice the newly designed side skirts that channel air away from the car & around the rear fenders. Both the front & rear fenders have ducts in them to let the air flow thru them, thereby reducing drag, which is always a good thing.

Now turning your attention to the rear of the car, you can see where the rear apron has been modified to allow more airflow from under the car. Perched up on the decklid is a huge aluminum wing which provides plenty of downforce to keep him glued to the track. Inside the car, you will find a couple of race seats, plenty of guages and a full roll cage in case of emergency.

Motivation for Mr. Osamura's car comes from a J-Sport tuned 2332cc Type 1 monster. Starting with a Gene Berg wedgemated 84mm stroker crank connected to 94mm Wiseco pistons and rings using 5.7" Carillo Porsche journal rods. Cam is Gene Berg 315 model. To get a motor this size to breathe properly, J-Sport used SuperFlo 1 ported and polished heads with 44mm intake & 38mm exhaust valves.

Compression is set at a healthy 9.0 : 1 ratio. Carburation duties are handled by 51.5 Dual Webers sitting on top of CB manifolds. Spent gases are extracted thru a 1 7/8" merged header with a special made J- Sport muffler. Getting all of this power to the ground is 4.125 : 1 ratio tranny.

Starting with a rhino case, Shigeo modified it to accept a Gene Berg 5 speed tranny kit with 3.78 1st, 2.06 2nd, 1.58 3rd, 1.31 4th, and a 1.04 5th gear. Shigeo also installed a Quaife Limited Slip Differential.

All I can say is this car rocks! Be sure to check out the videos of this 1302 Circuit Racer in the multimedia section. Special thanks go out to Yuki for all his help with this article. To check out J-Sports go to www.ne.jp/asahi/jeffreys/vw/

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old May 11th 2010, 02:31

What kind of power does an engine spec'd out like that produce and after watching videos of that car...how high does it rev?
Old May 11th 2010, 08:56

does anyone have an email contact for jeffreys?
Old May 17th 2010, 06:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIDUB View Post
Her is the in fo on Jefferys. Best way of contact is through email. And use Google translator to copy and paste to thier sit to translate for you. I'm lucky, my friends wife is Japanese and she does the translation thing for me.
Old May 17th 2010, 06:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIDUB View Post
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/jeffreys/vw/
Site in Japanese so use google translator to decipher.
Have dealt with them before and found out that email is the wat to go.
Old May 17th 2010, 15:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubzack View Post
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/jeffreys/vw/
Site in Japanese so use google translator to decipher.
Have dealt with them before and found out that email is the wat to go.
But where can we find an email adress to him?
Old July 11th 2010, 09:11

Im not sure there is one either. I have called him a couple of times. As I live here in Osaka. Typical of a small japanese business though, you can only pay by cash, japanese bank ,or postal savings transfer. Best way to contact him is by phone.
Old July 11th 2010, 09:16

Best way to reach him is by phone. The only way I guess! As I live in Osaka. As with most small Japanese businesses you can pay by cash, bank wire or postal saving transfer.
I have called him several times on the phone, nice enough guy. Just can"t find the time to get over there.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Dean
Old December 1st 2010, 05:48

Looks like he does very nice work!

Tags
1303, j sports, super beetle