GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Brakes

Old January 18th 2007, 21:36

Veedub, I still have them. They were rebuilt not long before I did the swap to disc. You will need to clean and re-pack the bearings and get new seals. You pay shipping, and there your's dude! Here's a pic.

Also, I have a set of disc brake spindle's, caliper's (three of them), and backing plates. I can't remember were I got the third caliper from, but it's new in the box! All you need are rotor's (your choice of bolt pattern), bearings, and seals. These fit '66 and later STD T1's. $40 plus shipping and the disc kit is yours, or any one else. Here's a pic.

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Old January 18th 2007, 23:42

Sweet, I'll show my dad the pics and see what he says, hes not happy about the redrilling part that Bruce said would need to be done, and was like, just get ghia disc brakes but that would make my wheels stick out farther, along with the drop spindles.Which, makes me ask, since those are Super Beetle drums would I be able to run those with drop spindles, and will I need to do anything to them besides redrill the backing plate or whatever it was.And could I get away with super beetle drums up front and standard beetle drums in rear?Also if I get those, what all parts would I need to buy, master cylinder, brake lines etc. also do I go by super beetle when getting the other parts?
Thank you Wrenchnride.

Last edited by Veedub; January 18th 2007 at 23:48.
Old January 19th 2007, 00:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis View Post
Well, I didn't know Supers and standards had different drum brakes. Since Bruce2 knows they are wider with a larger diameter, that would change your offset requirements
Anybody know if theres a difference in the offsets with disc brakes and s/b drums up front, just wondering is all
Old January 19th 2007, 04:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedub View Post
Could I get the super beetle front drum brakes and rear Type 3 drums new from a shop and buy the wheel cylinders new?Just wondering as I feel weird buying used parts, bad luck .
Would this work?
The whole point of using Super Beetle brakes is to save the cost of new parts. It makes no sense whatsoever to buy all new SB drum bits when the cost of all new KG discs is about the same. The SB drum upgrade is excellent for those on a really tight budget and can find good used parts for next to nothing.
Old January 19th 2007, 09:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce2 View Post
The whole point of using Super Beetle brakes is to save the cost of new parts. It makes no sense whatsoever to buy all new SB drum bits when the cost of all new KG discs is about the same. The SB drum upgrade is excellent for those on a really tight budget and can find good used parts for next to nothing.
I'm not really on a tight budget.I'm more or less thinking about my offset of my wheels,they stick out the sides and inch front and rear.Which wouldn't change my offset, is there a disc brake kit that does not change offset at all?
wheel offset 0 and 2inch backspacing
Old January 19th 2007, 18:03

Quote:
Anybody know if theres a difference in the offsets with disc brakes and s/b drums up front, just wondering is all
Basically nothing. It's within 1mm or so.

Lanner
Old January 19th 2007, 22:01

Lanner, I don't know if you would know the answer, but my rims Im going to try to use are 4.5" wide with a 2" backspace not sure on the offset but would I be able to run disc brakes with them?If not I'm going to probably go with narrow rims up front and wide rims in rear, found a site that sells 15x7 and 8" wide stock chrome rims... If discs wont work I'll go for the chrome rims, which are probably heavy..but there cool
Old January 19th 2007, 22:47

Veedub, those disc brake parts I have are the "ghia" type... they work on bug's too. They are not "dropped" spindle type... so no added track.

VKG
Old January 19th 2007, 23:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchnride247 View Post
Veedub, those disc brake parts I have are the "ghia" type... they work on bug's too. They are not "dropped" spindle type... so no added track.
ok cool, thing is im not really sure I can run discs with these rims, there a deep dish rim basically.American Racing has a replica of my rim see link
http://www.americanracing.com/wheels...shed&section=V
only thing diff is mine isnt as wide.if i cant run disc up front with these im going with the stock smoothie rims. I just would like to know since my rim has 2inch back spacing...would a disc brake fit behind them id go with yours but i want drop spindles
Old January 19th 2007, 23:24

Veedub, That's cool (I have dropped spindle's myself ) I was just making sure you knew they are stock for a ghia. They should fit no problem with a 2" backspace, but the dropped spindles may hit the lower ball joint, but I'm not sure about it (I have 16's).

VKG
Old January 19th 2007, 23:35

See thats what Im worried mostly about.I might when the cars ready, buy a pair of 15x4.5 stock chrome rims for front and widened stock rims for rear, 15x7's and run raised white letter tires and then front disc brakes.I dont think it would be german or cal look though.
Old January 19th 2007, 23:39

I think it would be more "NASCAR Look" if you had yellow raised letters... But hey... its what you like, and that is what matters.

VKG
Old January 19th 2007, 23:59

haha but yellow raised letters wouldnt look right lol my cars baby blue and almond white.raised white letters most likely wouldnt happen, never seen them on a bug, lol there has to be a reason, right?
Old January 21st 2007, 03:34

Quote:
raised white letters most likely wouldnt happen, never seen them on a bug, lol there has to be a reason, right?

Old January 21st 2007, 03:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis View Post

And that would be the reason....