GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old January 6th 2003, 07:23

Unhappy Help Me Sort This Out!!!!!.

RIGHT EVERYBODY, I VE BEEN READING THE POST FOR WHEEL OFF SET ETC.
MY CAR IS A '66, STANDARD WIDTH FRONT BEAM WITH EARLY 944 NON TURBO FRONT HUBS AND BRAKES, FITTED ON TO STANDARD VW SPINDLES. THE REAR HAS BEEN CONVERTED TO IRS BY MY SELF, AND IS RUNNING EARLY 944 ADJUSTABLE SPRING PLATES, TORSION BARS AND ALLOY TRAILING ARMS PART NUMBERS OF WHICH ARE AS FOLLOWS :-

951.331.513.0R
951.331.514.0R

I WANT TO RUN GENUINE 17 INCH CUP TWO'S UNDER STOCK WINGS/FENDERS SO WHAT SORT OF OFFSET SHOULD I BE LOOKING FOR SO THEY FIT NICELY UNDER THEM, THE CAR IS SLIGHTLY LOWERED ABOUT 2 INCHES FRONT, ONE SPLINE ON THE REAR, CAR WILL ALSO BE RUNNING A TYPE 4 ENGINE WHEN I HAVE FINISHED BUILDING IT.
ANY HELP OR COMMENTS WOULD BE GOOD.
THANKS

Old January 6th 2003, 08:07

Hi,

You will need 17" Cups with the maximum 52ET offset for the front shod with 205/40/17 tyres. It works best with a 2" narrowed beam but is possible with a standard width one by tucking up the lips on the front wings. The rear is another problem altogether. Even with standard early rear swinging arms from a 944 and 52ET's you'll need at least 1 inch over sized rear wings. I am in the process of trying to narrow my rear swinging arms an inch to squeeze everything underneath. The problem is that the 944 hubs add 26mm to the standard bug rear track either side. If you are using the aluminium swinging arms too then your track will be 56mm too wide either side! The 52 ET 7.5j 17's fit perfectly under stock arches with stock redrilled drums and suspension but as soon as you bolt up the 944 brakes you head into trouble. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!
Good Luck!

Andy.
rears
230BHP TIV fuel injected.
IRS+Berg 5 speed box.
Build in progress.